Tommy Armstrong

mwj98

Tommy Armstrong is the best QB we have signed in a long time. He is probably the best QB we have got to give us a pledge since Blaine Gabbert and Josh Freeman. Granted, they are both pro-style QBs and never played a down for us, but this kid is that exciting.

Absolute crime against humanity that he was not given a fourth star. I am from here on out refusing to put any stock into recruiting rankings. Michael Rose is no less than a four star kid as well. We were completely screwed by rivals this year. If they would have actually evaluated a lot of our kids' senior film we would have had only 3-4 kids in the 3 star range. I say that with full confidence.

Tommy Armstrong is the best QB we have signed in a long time. He is probably the best QB we have got to give us a pledge since Blaine Gabbert and Josh Freeman. Granted, they are both pro-style QBs and never played a down for us, but this kid is that exciting.

Absolute crime against humanity that he was not given a fourth star. I am from here on out refusing to put any stock into recruiting rankings. Michael Rose is no less than a four star kid as well. We were completely screwed by rivals this year. If they would have actually evaluated a lot of our kids' senior film we would have had only 3-4 kids in the 3 star range. I say that with full confidence.

Completely agree. I love what I see on these kid's highlight films. Especially Armstrong. His throwing motion is so smooth just at the high school mark, plus his legs are quick! He plus all the other great recruits for this year's class will only become bigger and better, and hopefully make the giant impact that all us Husker fans are hoping for.

So, that begs the question as to who starts whenever Martinez leaves or is beat out - Carnes or Armstrong?

I honestly don't care. Whoever can do the best job. If I had to pull for one guy or the other, I gotta go with Armstrong. He appears to be a natural leader, and our team could use one of those.

Depends on when that happens. I am pretty much convinced TM is a starter for 2 more years. But if something occurs this year, probably Carnes, although I would love to see Armstrong taking snaps anytime soon. I just wana see this kid give us fans something to really look forward to, and I think he can.

So, that begs the question as to who starts whenever Martinez leaves or is beat out - Carnes or Armstrong?

Tommy has not even set foot on campus, but I will tell you that I think he will come in and be a force.

He is the type of kid that is perfect for Tim Beck's spread. I like Carnes' game, but I really think Tommy has the opportunity to be a 3 year starter if he is allowed to redshirt. Which he better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is defining why bigtime schools get 2-3 top qbs every year. Its the most important position on the field and literally makes or breaks your offense. We suck on offense because we have no elite qb play for atleast a decade. Simple as that.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Look at all the national champions over the last several years, even decades. They all had good to great offensive lines, either conjunction with great quarterbacks or average quarterbacks. Ask any coach where every offense and defense starts and they'll say at the LOS.

If you gave me a choice between having Alabama's offensive line with Taylor Martinez, or Andrew Luck with our offensive line, I'd take the former in a heartbeat.

• Fire 1

Tommy has not even set foot on campus, but I will tell you that I think he will come in and be a force.

He is the type of kid that is perfect for Tim Beck's spread. I like Carnes' game, but I really think Tommy has the opportunity to be a 3 year starter if he is allowed to redshirt. Which he better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, he had really better redshirt. I don't know what this "Beck told him he won't redshirt" stuff is, but I hope it's some empty promise sweet-talk, or not true at all.

Enhance, in your example I would definitely take Luck with our OL, which wasn't really disastrous last year either, even if it wasn't elite. I suppose we'll see how Stanford's succession plan at QB goes.

Yes, he had really better redshirt. I don't know what this "Beck told him he won't redshirt" stuff is, but I hope it's some empty promise sweet-talk, or not true at all.

Enhance, in your example I would definitely take Luck with our OL, which wasn't really disastrous last year either, even if it wasn't elite. I suppose we'll see how Stanford's succession plan at QB goes.

True, it wasn't disastrous, and I can see a fair argument for preferring Luck.

If I may, to further my point, I'll take it beyond the offensive line. When I watched Stanford's offense this year I saw three things that we don't have - great quarterback play, great line play and great receiving. When I watched Stanford's games, especially their BCS bowl against oSu, their receivers caught everything thrown at them. 30 some pass attempts 0 drops, IIRC.

And watching Alabama play, they had excellence at every position except the quarterback, and they won a convincing MNC. The game against LSU the first time came down to bad turnovers on Alabama's part.

I just think that the offensive line dictates the overall abilities of your offense. I don't know if Martinez would be significantly better if we had great line play, but because we don't, it makes me want that great line.

True, it wasn't disastrous, and I can see a fair argument for preferring Luck.

If I may, to further my point, I'll take it beyond the offensive line. When I watched Stanford's offense this year I saw three things that we don't have - great quarterback play, great line play and great receiving. When I watched Stanford's games, especially their BCS bowl against oSu, their receivers caught everything thrown at them. 30 some pass attempts 0 drops, IIRC.

And watching Alabama play, they had excellence at every position except the quarterback, and they won a convincing MNC. The game against LSU the first time came down to bad turnovers on Alabama's part.

I just think that the offensive line dictates the overall abilities of your offense. I don't know if Martinez would be significantly better if we had great line play, but because we don't, it makes me want that great line.

a great offensive line sure wouldn't improve his mechanics, which are horrible, but he might run the ball a bit farther.