Nebraska Prestige

bdubb75

We haven't played for a MNC since 2001. This means that the kids we recruit today were probably 7 years old. Anyone here remember their face team at 7? The world has also gone to a mentality of what have you done for me lately and what is in it for me. Few kids today would choose a "lesser" team for the love of the game.

I think we still have prestige as one of the winningest programs in history, best player in the history of the game, 2 of the top teams to ever be fielded etc.........BUT, we do lack recent relevance. Our best team ever was in 1971 or 1995, same with TD Tommie (1995).

We also really took a hit after firing Frank after going 10-3 (9-3). Fans were split, but the nation thought this was crazy. Then we brought in our like our 5th choice to be a head coach who lost every record NU had. We again looked like fools in the media and by many talking heads. We then hired Bo, who although improving, has become a lighting rod for the national media ie watch the cameras stay on him more than the game and even our own fans.

We got a good class in my opinion. Look at Cally's stars and how they panned out. For every great recuit there is an equal bust. Look at the pros. For every Peyon, there is a Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russel. It is up to the staff to develop these kids. A great player with out development will usually peak freshman year. An average kid with coaching can develop into a good ball player ie Matt O'Hanlon. He was the national player so the week and Big XII once or twice.

Winning cures all ills. Win and more kids will come here. Our D is recruiting well based on the prestige of guys like SUH, Prince, Dennard etc........ If our O starts producing , the recruit "quality" will increase.

I think hat hurts now is our lack of identity on O. Kids wnt to go where they will be a fit in the system. Westerkamp was an awesome get as most revivers would not choose to come to a school that bills itself as a power first school and one not running a pro set or with a "throwing QB". We get an established identity, kids with that skill set will again start to look our way.

Don't you think that some of this is cyclical? Everyone is holding Alabama up as the current gold standard but they've had their poor years too. I see Nebraska moving up. Bo's had some time to pick the kids he wants, he has coaches that he trusts, it's going to be exciting to see how this all turns out. Call me optimistic, Sally Sunshine Pumper or whatever but I think it's going to be an interesting year. (I'm also one of those types who don't put too much merit into the 'star' rankings. I've seen too many of them in my lifetime end up in the toilet...they simply didn't live up to their hype.)

In 2007 the crimson tide were 7-6 including a loss to louisiana-monroe. Its funny how quickly things can change

• Fire 1

I am not holding my breath that we even make it to the CCG in 2012. Our losses will be Michigan, Michigan Lite, tOSU and probably Wisc next year (baring any crappy team beating us at home, like always).

2013 looks much better imo, we will have better WRs, better OL and DL, better LBs, and hopefully 2-3 outstanding RBs ready. Not only that, but our schedule should be a little easier to win. Only question I have for then, is the QB, TE's and the DB's.

so, dont get your hopes up for next year; you will just be depressed again, like this year.

But, to answer the OP question, Yes. We lost it back in 2006ish when it was clear Cally was taking the program down. I think we are still a 4 star team, but we need to get in some NC's to get back to 5 star status.

I am not holding my breath that we even make it to the CCG in 2012. Our losses will be Michigan, Michigan Lite, tOSU and probably Wisc next year (baring any crappy team beating us at home, like always).

2013 looks much better imo, we will have better WRs, better OL and DL, better LBs, and hopefully 2-3 outstanding RBs ready. Not only that, but our schedule should be a little easier to win. Only question I have for then, is the QB, TE's and the DB's.

so, dont get your hopes up for next year; you will just be depressed again, like this year.

But, to answer the OP question, Yes. We lost it back in 2006ish when it was clear Cally was taking the program down. I think we are still a 4 star team, but we need to get in some NC's to get back to 5 star status.

If we lose to more than 2 of the teams that you just mentioned, I will not be happy. You realize that MSU loses Cousins right? I don't know what their backup QB looks like, but no way they fill the shoes of that kid.

I wasnt all that impressed with Cousins, after all the heisman hollerin about him in 2010. Ya he was good, but I felt Price, kid from OSU, Denard, and other QBs we faced made us pay far more than Cousins did. Its their defense that scares me, which to my knowledge brings back some good experience and depth. Our offense shines against average/mediocre to lousy defenses, but top 10 defenses tend to shut us down. Maybe that changes this year, but not holding my breath :)

If Ball had left Wisc, I would feel much better about them, but that guy is a machine. We got lucky last year with tOSU, they should have won. With a that new QB and Meyer's, and the core of their defense staying there, I am afraid to watch that game. I think we have what it takes to beat Michigan, I just know it will be a repeat of last year.

I wasnt all that impressed with Cousins, after all the heisman hollerin about him in 2010. Ya he was good, but I felt Price, kid from OSU, Denard, and other QBs we faced made us pay far more than Cousins did. Its their defense that scares me, which to my knowledge brings back some good experience and depth. Our offense shines against average/mediocre to lousy defenses, but top 10 defenses tend to shut us down. Maybe that changes this year, but not holding my breath :)

If Ball had left Wisc, I would feel much better about them, but that guy is a machine. We got lucky last year with tOSU, they should have won. With a that new QB and Meyer's, and the core of their defense staying there, I am afraid to watch that game. I think we have what it takes to beat Michigan, I just know it will be a repeat of last year.

MSU was a pretty good defense in 2011 and we ran it down their throats. SC was the most athletic D we faced all year and we were doing the same to them until we started to beat ourselves with penalties and stupid mistakes. Penn State was a pretty dang good defense too, and our O did just fine.

If I remember right, Nebraska stole a recruit from Ohio State. But, I agree. Nebraska prestige is and always will be just fine. There is no place like Nebraska! GBR!

(I always smile if someone compares us to Wisconsin. It's a compliment considering that their AD was a Cornhusker! ;)

I hate you

I'm chuckling here not because you said you 'hate me' but my brother's nickname is Bucky! Love it! Hey! Wisconsin has a great team! I look forward to developing a really great rivalry with Wisconsin. I have nothing but respect for your team and we love your AD! (Once a Husker ALWAYS a Husker!) ;)

MSU was a pretty good defense in 2011 and we ran it down their throats. SC was the most athletic D we faced all year and we were doing the same to them until we started to beat ourselves with penalties and stupid mistakes. Penn State was a pretty dang good defense too, and our O did just fine.

I disagree, our O didnt do fine. We imploded as USC, took advatage of a 1/2 dead PSU team, and got lucky with a few scores against MSU after they had been physicall burned out from the last three games. We got very lucky with MSU, PSU and tOSU games last year, dont expect a repeat next year.

I disagree, our O didnt do fine. We imploded as USC, took advatage of a 1/2 dead PSU team, and got lucky with a few scores against MSU after they had been physicall burned out from the last three games. We got very lucky with MSU, PSU and tOSU games last year, dont expect a repeat next year.

1. That Penn State game is a pretty difficult game to analyze if you're an average joe like me. Saying we took advantage of a 1/2 dead team doesn't really do a justice to the situation.

2. Saying we were lucky to beat Sparty is beyond stupidity. I think you could argue THEY got lucky we didn't beat them by more. Don't forget Stafford dropped a sure INT that set up their only FG of the game. Potentially a 10 point sway gone awry.

I agree we got lucky against the Buckeyes, but who's fault is it that they didn't have any depth at QB and that our offense took over the end of the game?

ok, I'll give you MSU; but I think we agree on the rest. Penn State wasnt the same team as earlier in the year, if you compared then to any of their prior games last season. They didnt score much, but in the Neb game, they just looked unfocused and not motivated to play - cant say i blame them. Im not saying we didnt deserve to win that game, I just wouldn't count on it next year. They got some talent and with a new breath of wind in their sails, they may be tougher than people think.

Penn State wasnt the same team as earlier in the year

That's because Penn State's schedule was just really, really ridiculously easy early in the season (aside from the bama game, where they got it handed to them).

Seriously.

Indiana State

Alabama

Temple

Eastern Michigan

Indiana

Iowa

Purdue

Northwestern

Illinois

Nebraska

Ohio State

Wisconsin

• Fire 1

That's because Penn State's schedule was just really, really ridiculously easy early in the season (aside from the bama game, where they got it handed to them).

Seriously.

Indiana State

Alabama

Temple

Eastern Michigan

Indiana

Iowa

Purdue

Northwestern

Illinois

Nebraska

Ohio State

Wisconsin

Hey now the sycamores had one hell of a team

Seriously.

Indiana State

Alabama

Temple

Eastern Michigan

Indiana

Iowa

Purdue

Northwestern

Illinois

Nebraska

Ohio State

Wisconsin

:yeah

Well, since only winning 9 or 10 games a year until we're ready to play for all the marbles has you in a "depression" you really should consider giving up watching cfb. There's no program in the nation that plays for the NC or BCS bowls every friggin year. "Nobody".

Go ahead, find another team to root for but you'll be severely "depressed" with them soon too.