Nebraska Prestige

bdubb75

I heard that even with Mizzou signing the #1 reciever in the nation, we still had a better recruiting than they did.

Hmm, he's an instate kid, and chose his homestate school, as a top WR, who happens to sling the ball around 50 times a game. Pretty obvious why he's headed there. Most of these big time targets are choosing places that they think is going to get them most noticed by pro scouts. They dont care about tradition, they dont care about the school or the program. College football is just one more stepping stone for them.

• Fire 2

I heard that even with Mizzou signing the #1 reciever in the nation, we still had a better recruiting than they did.

Hmm, he's an instate kid, and chose his homestate school, as a top WR, who happens to sling the ball around 50 times a game. Pretty obvious why he's headed there. Most of these big time targets are choosing places that they think is going to get them most noticed by pro scouts. They dont care about tradition, they dont care about the school or the program. College football is just one more stepping stone for them.

Exactly. And that's when you get into trouble signing guys who have already been penned by Rivals, Scouts, ESPN, etc, that you're going to be a superstar and here's your free pass to the NFL and bigger money than you're making playing in the SEC. That's why it sucks seeing the college game transcend into what it is...it's as much of a business anymore as the NFL. I think this is why I'm excited about the walk-ons this year. Maybe...just maybe...it's the love of the game...it's what you can do for your school...not what your school can do for you.

• Fire 1

Is it lost? The recruiting numbers are just sad to me when Virginia and other schools are above us. Have we lost a step or am I overanalyzing?

Nebraska's prestige is fine. You're not Minnesota which is like 5 decades removed from national relevance. As everyone got better media deals and other conferences make their own networks and whatnot, it was always going to and always will become harder to drag top tier talent away from nearby schools or whatnot and get them to come to Nebraska. But as long as you guys play in one of the top 10 stadium environments (probably over 100k at some point in the next decade or so), you guys will be fine on recruiting. It's just going to take a small adjustment to get used to being in the Midwest and not actually playing in Texas.

More or less, you just need to win something big and you'll be in play. Does it mean you'll be pulling in recruits like Michigan and Ohio State did this year? Probably not, but those are the only two schools that you really can't top as a draw in the Big Ten for recruits right now, and they draw most of their top talent from Ohio and Michigan, which is something you guys can't do in your home region.

You guys are Wisconsin with a true national brand (multiple recent NCs) or a more relevant Tennessee. That's how it's always been and how it always will be (until global warming and water shortages cause Nebraska's population to swell to 5+ million, and your state starts to produce several 4-5 star kids per year but don't hold your breath on that). Nothing has changed since the Big Ten chose you guys over Missouri and whoever else was being considered...

If I remember right, Nebraska stole a recruit from Ohio State. But, I agree. Nebraska prestige is and always will be just fine. There is no place like Nebraska! GBR!

(I always smile if someone compares us to Wisconsin. It's a compliment considering that their AD was a Cornhusker! ;)

I hate you

Are we growing or are we on the decline? Because you have to be one or the other.

It's tough to say, really. I believe we are improving under Bo Pelini in comparison to where the program was when he took over. He has brought back a culture to Nebraska where I am excited about every single game and believe we have a legit shot at winning most, if not every game. However, we're lacking the elite players and consistency from everyone in the program.

One could also make the argument that we're on the decline because we still haven't accomplished anything Bill Callahan didn't accomplish at Nebraska (in terms of season trophies [NC, BCS, Conference title]). Every year we don't earn one of these fabulous honors, we are being pushed further and further to the back of the minds of recruits across the nation.

I think the prestige that is Nebraska has faded to the outside world since BC, but I think Bo has brought the program back to life and is still in the early parts of his career in terms of success. I stand behind Bo and his ways, for the time being. I believe he has the ability to win some big games. Lord knows we've been close.

Nebraska prestige is forever to us, but I don't want to end up like Notre Dame. Our drought has gone on long enough. We need another title.

GBR!