Very Encouraging Class

TO made a living from recruiting classes very similar to this one. The reason he could beat teams in the top 10 recruiting classes was because of coaching and coaching cohesiveness. I'd venture to guess if we continue to have 9-4 seasons that it will have a lot more to do with breaking in an OC and DC rather than talent.

Cherry-picking statistics to skew things how you want to skew them...doesn't work for me. That's like taking Bo's last 5 games as Husker head coach and saying he is 2-3 to prove that he's an awful coach.

There are very few neutral ways to introduce statistics. For example, we're not ranked that great this year and it has been very common to use the "average stars" measure instead, just because we're ranked higher that way. When we do get a large class though, I don't think we tend to pull out the average stars ranking.

Picking which ranking system to go by depending on which one ranks us higher, is cherry-picking too.

Ultimately, this class has 17 talented players. For a class of 17, we did a good job, and from that perspective, NSD was a success. Moore and one DT were requisites, without which the last day would have been a failure IMO, but we secured both DTs on the board, and both of them were highly sought after, talented kids. It all starts with the DL on defense, and we needed this, badly.

However, the reason to harp on this class is that we didn't sign 20 guys. This is a valid complaint. We need to inject more flesh blood into the roster on a yearly basis because sometimes, it doesn't work out, and we're looking at the DL or secondary or WRs, etc and seeing all those recruited bodies, but no big-time athletes stepping up.

Recruiting is always a numbers game and the fact that this would be a small class was decided a long time ago. That is where the disappointment really lies. The disappointment of not getting commits faster has been wiped away by yet another torrid paced January and furious NSD, but we're still short up on the numbers, and this is the kind of thing that can hurt us down the road.

I hope everyone can take this as a reasonable criticism of the 2012 recruiting process as a whole, and not a panicky "the world is falling, these recruits suck!", pessimistic kind of response.

Not at all, it's a very good take on the class in my opinion. The thing that makes me feel better about not getting 20 guys is there's several talented guys who are walking on that could have easily taken scholarships elsewhere.

And didn't Michigan have something like 25 scholarships to give? If I'm recalling correctly, this would be an example of quantity over quality, to some extent.

So Michigan signed 25 kids to our 17. Take Michigan’s best 17 and do you still believe they are only ranked higher then NU because of “quantity over quality”?

Michigan’s Top 17 recruits average Stars – 3.82

Nebraska’s Top 17 recruits average Stars – 3.35

Ohio State’s Top 17 recruits average Stars – 4.05

Well, duh!

Taking only their top 17........gee, what a surprise.

Cherry-picking statistics to skew things how you want to skew them...doesn't work for me. That's like taking Bo's last 5 games as Husker head coach and saying he is 2-3 to prove that he's an awful coach.

There are very few neutral ways to introduce statistics. For example, we're not ranked that great this year and it has been very common to use the "average stars" measure instead, just because we're ranked higher that way. When we do get a large class though, I don't think we tend to pull out the average stars ranking.

Picking which ranking system to go by depending on which one ranks us higher, is cherry-picking too.

Very true. I understand this. Just trying to make others understand it as well.

I agree with Zoogies that we should have used every available ship. There will likely be attrition in the Spring that will free up a few scholarships for walk-ons. I see The Dude's point, but the walk-on program is something that should help offset our inherent recruiting disadvantages instead of cover up for not using each available scholarship.

Speaking of walk-ons, reading through this entire thread I noticed at least one poster seemed to have some disdain for the walk-on program. This makes no sense at all. The walk-on program is a distinct advantage and even though walk-on players do take ships that might go else where, 100% of those that do are starters or significant contributors. This is a much higher ratio than commits on scholarship. Since 2008, 6 out of our 36 different all-conference players have been walk-ons. That is a nice luxury to have, and one that I know Wisconsin has also used effectively to supplement their recruiting classes in order to compete with the likes of Ohio State and Michigan.

As to the quality of this class, I will reserve judgement. The last time I professed my love for a recruiting class was in 2006, and that class ended up having two thirds of it's members either totally bust or significantly underachieve (and that is putting it nicely in several cases).

Missing on Peat sucks, but it's nothing to go full retard over. It's still a very solid class.

This. We filled positions of need. Only thing that really sucks is missing on Peat. Had we known earlier where he was going we could have pushed harder for Stanley.

We definitely have fewer stars on average than last year. But wasn't last year kind of a peak year?

2012 - 3.35

2011 - 3.53

2010 - 3.24

2009 - 3.25

2008 - 2.96

Granted, 2008 was Bo's first year, but this is his second-best class.

People need to remember that our staff is a little bit green at the recruiting game. The encouraging thing is that most of the recruits seem to say the same good things about Bo. They will get better, but I don't know how you can sell Nebraska as being Stanford when it come to academics... This staff knows that the next 2 years are going to be huge for recruiting. You win, you get better recruits...it's that simple.

Ok, keep telling yourself that we got we needed today to compete in the B10, did you see what OSU an MU did? Thats a pretty good measure right there. Keep telling yourself that Pelini and his #2 guy Barney are untouchable gods. When are Pelini fans going to realize that his image has outweighed all the good things about Nebraska football? Didn't today do it for you? THE TOP KIDS ARE NOT GOING TO PLAY FOR PELINI AND HIS STAFF OF HIGH SCHOOL COACHING BUDDIES!!!!!!!

Absolutely correct. Could not have said it better. Pelini might make a really good Defensive Coordinator some place but he is not head coach material. He has shown that over and over. Top kids will not play for a bipolar psychotic mega egocentric idiot on the sidlines.

It was 1 game Goal-line...please get over it. His sideline demeanor has not been out of line since then.

Wisky had the 10th best class in the Big10. I wonder what their fans are saying. We get the number 3 class, and you would think we had a losing season around here. It was a great class, we start winning the Big10 and we can compete with OSU and Michigan, but we still probably wont finish above them. Its the way it is, no talent in NE.