Very Encouraging Class

Just got home, can't believe Peat picked Stanford over NU(sarcasm). Maybe Pelini and Cotton influenced his decision a little. Keep telling yourself that a 50th ranked class is a good thing(ever). Can't wait for those B10 titles and BCS games to start rolling in. But hey, we did get another Cotton on scholarship! Do we even have enough QB's to have a spring game this year? Nasa is right! Frank would of been burned at the stake for a 50th ranked class, but nobody is blaming Pelini for any of this! Doesn't make sense to me..

If you just got home you obviously don't know that this is the 24th ranked class not 50th.

Yea, 24th ! That high? That will get a lot of championships.

I do believe we have 5 national championships.

I did..............Frank never had a class this bad............Frank never gave scholly's to coaches kids that didn't deserve them.........I was all for Frank being fired...........but Frank played in 2 BCS games and a National Title game..............Frank got fired for piss poor recruiting classes..............Pelini can't even sniff Frank's record, why are you sticking up for Pelini? Frank was waaaaaay more a Nebraska guy than Pelini has ever thought of being. Don't give me this who will we get if Pelini is fired stuff either, i'm sure there is somebody out there more qualified to be the head coach at NU and make 3 million a year than Pelini.

Yeah and Bill Callahan had better classes and look what that got him.

And sure there are more qualified coaches: Nick Saban, Les Miles, Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, to name a few. Oh but sadly they're already employed. Darn.

You people are picking one or two services, average them all up. It doesn't matter how you spin it, its not a good class......unless you're ok with being in the middle of the b10. We signed 5 or 6 nice players, there are 22 posistions on a football team.

Have you even seen a video of any of the recruits, or is this assumption based on the number of stars you saw next to the names.

While literally laughing at posts in this thread I really had a moment. I am guilty of thinking our recruiting classes suck. Nebraska has won nothing of significance since most of these 17 and 18 yr olds have been old enough to have remembered. Given our locale and weather patterns and such, its complete foolishness to assume we would ever be a football giant. We are fortunate to win what we win these days given the change in football to a money driven enterprise. Osborne took twenty years to win one. Maybe one day we will be back to that level. Until then......im happy with pelini and 9 win seasons. GBR.

I did..............Frank never had a class this bad............Frank never gave scholly's to coaches kids that didn't deserve them.........I was all for Frank being fired...........but Frank played in 2 BCS games and a National Title game..............Frank got fired for piss poor recruiting classes..............Pelini can't even sniff Frank's record, why are you sticking up for Pelini? Frank was waaaaaay more a Nebraska guy than Pelini has ever thought of being. Don't give me this who will we get if Pelini is fired stuff either, i'm sure there is somebody out there more qualified to be the head coach at NU and make 3 million a year than Pelini.

And sure there are more qualified coaches: Nick Saban, Les Miles, Urban Meyer, Mack Brown, to name a few. Oh but sadly they're already employed. Darn.

i'm not convinced that either les miles or mack brown are better coaches.

knapplc..........give your tired little Pelini is god speel a rest...........Today actually proved something, whether you accept it or not........The state of Nebraska's football program is reality right now, Pelini is a HUGE blackeye for our program! Name ONE division 1 program that would have Barney Cotton as their OL coach. Just one.

The only thing today proved is that there is a group of "fans" who will self-flagellate at the drop of a dime.

In front of EVERYBODY? That's a great price for a show!

(throws 18 dimes across O St.)

knapplc..........give your tired little Pelini is god speel a rest...........Today actually proved something, whether you accept it or not........The state of Nebraska's football program is reality right now, Pelini is a HUGE blackeye for our program! Name ONE division 1 program that would have Barney Cotton as their OL coach. Just one.

you've yet to provide any evidence since the last time that i asked that pelini's demeanor has any effect on our recruiting. this may come as a surprise to you, but there are quite a few fiery football coaches in the world. i have no idea why the local media and some of the fans think it is such a big deal. so far i have seen quite a few quotes from players that like pelini. i've yet to see any that mentioned his behavior as a reason not to play here.

as to cotton, i'm pretty sure we had a good offensive line last year. not yet up to mid-90's standards, but it's been improving over the last couple of seasons and looked pretty good for most the year. i know he's everyone's favorite whipping boy, and that he doesn't deserve any credit for the play of his offensive line, but something seems to be working there.

i'm not convinced that either les miles or mack brown are better coaches.

The keyword is more qualified as in have won national titles in some people's opinions. Not better.

Out of the Top 25 classes as rated by ESPNSUCKS:

12 of them had the same or worse records than Nebraska. I had it all typed out but then my computer sent me back so you can look that information up yourselves.

4 lie outside of major recruiting hotbeds and 3 of them are really close to being in one. Can you name the school and their rank that is the outlier?

What separates Georgia from Nebraska is 1 5-star recruit

Out of the 24 schools in front of us, Nebraska has a better average star rating than 5 schools and is tied with California

A lot of schools in front of us didn't sign 5 star recruits: California, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Tennesse, LSU, Oregon, Clemson, and Auburn failed to sign 5 star recruits--a total of 8 schools.

So let's put to bed this idea that class rankings, numbers, and starts mean a third of the story. You'd only be kidding yourself if you did. There's a reason why Alabama and LSU and Oregon and Stanford and all those other schools have been consistently good. It's because they have good coaching, not necessarily because they have good recruiting--although it's hard to say that recruiting doesn't matter...because obviously it does.

If all that mattered were class rankings, Wisconsin would finish below us...Michigan State would finish below us, West Virginia would finish below us, Oklahoma State would finish below us, Missouri would finish below us, I could go on and on.

And here's something all you naysayers probably didn't care to notice...these rankings systems are subjective and they aren't necessarily correct in any way shape or form. A 5 star recruit could come to a school and NEVER SEE THE FIELD. In the same light a 3 star player could come to a school and TURN INTO A STAR.

Quit thinking that recruiting is as simple as it is in NCAA Football 12. You can't just select all the 5 star athletes, set the difficult to Freshman and sign the number one recruiting class every year. If you think that is the way recruiting works, you couldn't be any further from the truth. Coaches recruit players who they think they'll have a chance to sign and who fit what they are looking for in their SYSTEM. If you get a player who doesn't fit your system, he isn't going to do jack sh*t for the team.

• Fire 2

Very disappointing Class if you ask me. Is there a game changer recruit coming to Lincoln next year? No. We recruited a team of role players who may start at half the teams in the Big 10 their senior season. I'm totally disgusted with this class and the lack of recruiting ability of Bo and his staff. I think it's time Tom really start making some phone calls and see if we can find someone who bring home the talent on a year in and year out basis. It's time for a change.

I actually laughed out loud at the absurdity of this post. You, sir, are deserving of your avatar.

Sadly no one will be laughing four years from now.

Only if they read your posts.

Nobody that posts anything like the above posts knows anything about football or recruiting. Are you seriously going to tell me that the best QB recruit that we have signed in the longest time is not a difference maker? Are you going to tell me that a HS defensive end that every school in the nation could have found room for is not a difference maker? Are you going to tell me that Jordan Westerkamp isnt a difference maker? If you answer yes to any of those questions you are a flat out moron.

Knapplc - My avatar hasn't changed to my Grant Wistrom 98 DE. Anything special I have to do?

• Fire 1

Very disappointing Class if you ask me. Is there a game changer recruit coming to Lincoln next year? No. We recruited a team of role players who may start at half the teams in the Big 10 their senior season. I'm totally disgusted with this class and the lack of recruiting ability of Bo and his staff. I think it's time Tom really start making some phone calls and see if we can find someone who bring home the talent on a year in and year out basis. It's time for a change.

I actually laughed out loud at the absurdity of this post. You, sir, are deserving of your avatar.

Sadly no one will be laughing four years from now.

Only if they read your posts.

Nobody that posts anything like the above posts knows anything about football or recruiting. Are you seriously going to tell me that the best QB recruit that we have signed in the longest time is not a difference maker? Are you going to tell me that a HS defensive end that every school in the nation could have found room for is not a difference maker? Are you going to tell me that Jordan Westerkamp isnt a difference maker? If you answer yes to any of those questions you are a flat out moron.

Knapplc - My avatar hasn't changed to my Grant Wistrom 98 DE. Anything special I have to do?

Difference makers only happen if there are offensive linemen who can block. Tom Brady would not be where he is if he did not have the most outstanding Offensive line in the league. NU's QB recruit will be dead in the water unless he has an Offensive Line that can block. It is that simple. As it stands now, the OL at NU sucks big time with epic ineptness. Jordan Westerkamp will not be a difference maker unless the QB has time to get him the ball. How many more yards to you think Rex Burkehead would have if he actually ran behind a line that could sustain blocks? Not getting Peat was a critical swing and miss for Pelini.

Ok, keep telling yourself that we got we needed today to compete in the B10, did you see what OSU an MU did? Thats a pretty good measure right there. Keep telling yourself that Pelini and his #2 guy Barney are untouchable gods. When are Pelini fans going to realize that his image has outweighed all the good things about Nebraska football? Didn't today do it for you? THE TOP KIDS ARE NOT GOING TO PLAY FOR PELINI AND HIS STAFF OF HIGH SCHOOL COACHING BUDDIES!!!!!!!

Absolutely correct. Could not have said it better. Pelini might make a really good Defensive Coordinator some place but he is not head coach material. He has shown that over and over. Top kids will not play for a bipolar psychotic mega egocentric idiot on the sidlines.

• Fire 1

you've yet to provide any evidence since the last time that i asked that pelini's demeanor has any effect on our recruiting. this may come as a surprise to you, but there are quite a few fiery football coaches in the world. i have no idea why the local media and some of the fans think it is such a big deal. so far i have seen quite a few quotes from players that like pelini. i've yet to see any that mentioned his behavior as a reason not to play here.

as to cotton, i'm pretty sure we had a good offensive line last year. not yet up to mid-90's standards, but it's been improving over the last couple of seasons and looked pretty good for most the year. i know he's everyone's favorite whipping boy, and that he doesn't deserve any credit for the play of his offensive line, but something seems to be working there.

Improving Offensive Line? What the hell are you smoking? What games were you watching?