Now that one season is over, are you happy you left?

Nonregag09

The only thing I don't like about it is, I live in Oklahoma, so I had 2 road games right in my back yard. Not so much anymore.

You would think the teams coming into the Big 12 would ask themselves why 4 teams went running away as fast as they could.

I agree with Knappic. The B1G is like the old Big8. I never liked the Big 12 or whatever it is now. The only thing I've really missed is not being able to play OU. They were fun. But this is a great place. We have been welcomed with open arms!

Be glad you're getting out of the Big 12. Best wishes in the SEC. At least you'll get to play Missouri from time to time.

yeah... I love it. was never comfortable with the big 12. it never felt right

it really didn't, but to this day i can't tell you why........

a combination of a lot of things. things had been the same for so long... then boom .... divisions...conference title games... ties to the orange bowl gone.. rivalries changed........the focus shifted south.

I actually ran into a Texas fan who asked me how was i liking the new conference full of perverts (the wisconsin and penn st. thing)

I'm sorry guys, i couldn't fire back after that shot.

You shouldn't have to. Statements like that are why I am glad to be in a different conference.

However...

Two words. Cleve Bryant.

Now then, the high road and the low road in the same post. That should make everyone happy. Or piss everyone off. I can never tell on this board.

Bittersweet sums it up. I miss the Big 12 teams, most of 'em. But the conference stability is obviously on the rocks, and there is no arguing that. It was being torn up anyway. So we had no choice, and I like the fit and welcome in the new conference.

It is too bad we won't get to play you guys anymore, except in OOC.

I grew up watching the Big 12 so it never seemed strange or a bad fit to me; it was just the way things were. I do think we are in a much better place. I will miss the old foes we used to face, however. OU especially, but even like K-state and Mizzou. This is just a selfish on-the-field thing though, and clearly we're a better fit in the B1G and stability will likely never be an issue again.

yeah... I love it. was never comfortable with the big 12. it never felt right

it really didn't, but to this day i can't tell you why........

a combination of a lot of things. things had been the same for so long... then boom .... divisions...conference title games... ties to the orange bowl gone.. rivalries changed........the focus shifted south.

or the main reason, because we only won the conference twice

Missed the Big-8, and never liked the Big-12. Didn't have the feel of a close nit conference. The rivalries were never quite the same after the merger. The B1G has a lot more history and tradition than any other conference, other than the Ivy League. Playing Okl was always the best weekend for me during the football season, but even that was getting diluted with the way it was changed, from two on two off. I will miss our old Big-8 foes and wish them luck, but I think we are in a better place now.

GBR!!!

Great move for us! The Big 12 is an organizational mess, and is likely to disband if there is a strong move to super conferences that comes up again. They just lost three top teams (aTm, Misery and us) and another mid-level team (Buffalitos). For every B12 top performer, the B1G can counter with one of their own. I do miss the Sooners, though. That was a fun rivalry.

I'm not a Nebraska fan but I'll chime in.

Personally I think NU made a wise decision in moving to the Big Ten, I've never been to the state but I think they fit well with the culture, they may not share in the Great Lakes/Rustbelt experience like so many other Big Ten schools but I think they meld better than Penn State because at the very least they're Midwestern. I wanted NU, ND or possibly Mizzou so I'm happy with the addition and its good for them athletically and academically so hey good deal.

WVU is in a completely different position. They don't have near the history that NU has as they were in the SoCon (the App State/Furman/Wofford conference) until the late 60's and have no real titles of national note. Moving to the Big XII is odd but also wise. It's like jumping from a sinking midget submarine on to a sinking Carnival Cruise ship.

Also to hit on what TJ said we line up well with the Big XII as far as top teams go (teams with national appeal and history)

Big Ten - Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State

Big Twelve - Oklahoma and Texas

As far as up and comers go its not too bad either

Big Ten - Wisconsin and Michigan State (fair amount of history at State as well)

Big Twelve- Oklahoma State and Kansas State

Speaking broadly, I think we have the best conference in the country.

• Stability - We're the oldest Division One conference in the country and we've never truly lost a member. (Chicago de-emphasized athletics)
  • Academics - 11 of 12 members are in the AAU. We have a unique and extremely effective cooperative relationship within the conference through the CIC. Students share in reference material, research funds and projects and enjoy reciprocity with other schools not to mention it includes some of the Nation's top institutions around, (PSU, UW, Northwestern, Michigan and Illinois are all top 50 universities, as is Chicago which is also a CIC member)
  • Athletics - Few other conferences can claim the level of success across a wide range of sports that the Big Ten can. 40 National titles in football, 18 Heisman Winners the winningest program in the history of the sport and the winningest program in the past 30 or so years. Oh and three of the five largest stadiums. 18 Basketball titles and three of the winningest programs in the sport. (compare to 1SEC, 2BigXII, 3Pac12, 3ACC and 6BE) Also when the Big Ten comes together to play hockey in 2013 it will have four of the top 10 overall schools in the nation with UM, UW, MSU and U of M with 23 National Titles total. Add to all of that the fact that we actually hold our athletes to a standard and its even more impressive.

So yea, I love the Big Ten. Good move NU.

• Fire 1

I think it is always interesting to have new teams to play, a new environment and the anticipation of new rivalries. So... I like the move so far. We'll see down the road.

An interesting thing is to see how NU as an athletic program does in the Sears Cup (I think that is what it is called) --- the index that takes all your programs and somehow ranks them. How will NU in all sports compete in the B1G in comparison with the B12? I am not sure what to expect. It seems like overall, the B1G is a really overall tough place to compete.

All that said... so far, so good. I like the new conference.