The LB thread(2012)

n.e.husker

Who do you guys and girls see filling into the spot left by Lavonte? Not just his play making abilities, but his leadership and production.

Who will suprise us all and grab a starting job? Whaley,Anderson, Santos, one of the freshmen?

http://huskerextra.c...f5944e6280.html

"But what we look for is that special kid who has that flash across the screen where all of a sudden you go, 'Oh, my goodness, who was that?' Or that kid that when the offensive lineman climbs to block him he's unblockable because he just has such good feet and such good instincts."

David certainly had that special combination. Listed at 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds last season, he recorded 133 tackles, and was the Big Ten linebacker of the year and a Butkus Award finalist.

Good luck replacing him, right?

There's no denying that No. 4, who merged ability with want-to as well as about any Husker defender has, will be missed.

Yet ask Els what he thinks about the year that awaits him as Nebraska linebackers coach.

"I can't wait, to be honest with you."

Els said he's excited about Will Compton, the senior-to-be who came on strong the second half of last season, and is now a veteran at running the show at middle linebacker.

Then there's the competition at the other linebacker spots. It figures to be wide-open, involving everyone from seniors such as Sean Fisher and Alonzo Whaley to incoming recruits such as Zaire Anderson, Michael Rose, Jared Afalava and Thomas Brown. (Note the listed sizes on all of those recruits: Rose the biggest at 230 pounds, then Anderson at 220, Afalava at 215 and Brown at 210).

I know its early and we dont have them all on campus yet, but it is the offseason and its fun to share our opinions and always agree with eachother :hmmph

Who do you guys and girls see filling into the spot left by Lavonte? Not just his play making abilities, but his leadership and production.

Who will suprise us all and grab a starting job? Whaley,Anderson, Santos, one of the freshmen?

"But what we look for is that special kid who has that flash across the screen where all of a sudden you go, 'Oh, my goodness, who was that?' Or that kid that when the offensive lineman climbs to block him he's unblockable because he just has such good feet and such good instincts."

David certainly had that special combination. Listed at 6-foot-1 and 225 pounds last season, he recorded 133 tackles, and was the Big Ten linebacker of the year and a Butkus Award finalist.

There's no denying that No. 4, who merged ability with want-to as well as about any Husker defender has, will be missed.

Yet ask Els what he thinks about the year that awaits him as Nebraska linebackers coach.

Els said he's excited about Will Compton, the senior-to-be who came on strong the second half of last season, and is now a veteran at running the show at middle linebacker.

Then there's the competition at the other linebacker spots. It figures to be wide-open, involving everyone from seniors such as Sean Fisher and Alonzo Whaley to incoming recruits such as Zaire Anderson, Michael Rose, Jared Afalava and Thomas Brown. (Note the listed sizes on all of those recruits: Rose the biggest at 230 pounds, then Anderson at 220, Afalava at 215 and Brown at 210).

I know its early and we dont have them all on campus yet, but it is the offseason and its fun to share our opinions and always agree with eachother :hmmph

many of our backers are too small.......they will get pushed around.

Anything bout the team you like?

• Fire 1

Agreed. Lavonte David didn't have the size to play in the Big Ten, and look how he was a non factor in every one of our games.

• Fire 1

Lavonte David started at about 210 when he arrived at Nebraska, if I recall correctly.

I'm not worried about our guys putting weight on - they will, over time. If they can learn the defense, run, and tackle with good form, they'll be fine, even if they're only 210-215 lbs.

• Fire 1

Agreed. Lavonte David didn't have the size to play in the Big Ten, and look how he was a non factor in every one of our games.

David was an anomaly.

David was an anomaly.

There have been many great college linebackers in the mold of Lavonte David, and there will be many more. Heck, just look back at some of Nebraska's rosters:

1995:

Terrell Farley, 205 lbs

Jay Foreman, 200 lbs

Ryan Terwilliger, 220 lbs

Hell, Grant Wistrom was only 235 lbs, and Mike Rucker was only 225.

I want speed on our defense. If we get guys who absolutely fly around, but who still play physical and tackle with good form, we'll be great. The only part of the defense where I'm concerned about strength is on the defensive line - those guys need to be big enough and strong enough that they can suck up all the blockers so our LBs can make plays.

Please discuss the topic, in this case linebackers, versus the poster.....thank you

I expect ZA to start right away. I just hope people give him a break when comparing him to Lavonte. Lavonte was a great find, a really great find, and guys like him don't just come along every couple of years. I think he will be good but I dont expect him to be as good as Lavonte was right away. Compton will start at one spot and I think the other spot is Whaley's to lose. It's hard to talk about the other guys because we haven't really seen them. Fisher will probably go down as the defensive Matt Herian for me. A guy who showed promise but never really got back to where he was before the injury. My hope is that he can be a solid special teams contributor.

Please discuss the topic, in this case linebackers, versus the poster.....thank you

Yes sir....

• Fire 1

Whaley, Compton, and Fisher will start the first game.

Anderson, Roach, and Santos are the first subs.

There is a huge gap in LB between next year's seniors and our recruits. Almost nobody on the roster except Santos and a couple of walkons. Maybe not the best planning on our part to be short-handed like that.

There is a huge gap in LB between next year's seniors and our recruits. Almost nobody on the roster except Santos and a couple of walkons. Maybe not the best planning on our part to be short-handed like that.

Agreed. But having a conference move throw a wrench into plans in the summer of 2010 didnt help.

Agreed. But having a conference move throw a wrench into plans in the summer of 2010 didnt help.

Some, probably a majority (myself included), underestimated that factor.