The LB thread(2012)

n.e.husker

I am curious about the move of S/CB Corey Cooper, a sophomore, who is really fast and has coverage skills --- specifically curious, and also excited... for he has, perhaps, the potential to really contribute.

Compton was pretty good last year and should be improved. Whaley, when healthy, was OK --- perhaps he will be healthy and improved. Ziare Anderson will be counted upon. David Santos --- hope he is good. Now add Cooper. And, maybe Fisher will have improved too. That is 5 guys, or 6 --- and does not count incoming guys like Rose, Afalafa (if he makes grade) and Brown.

Between all these guys, a grouping of 3 solid guys and a back-up or two should emerge.

I would not expect LB play to be a strength this year --- though it will likely not be a liability either.

Count me perhaps in the minority with this... but if there is a likely liability on D it seems to me that it will be the DL --- I, personally (and maybe I am here as well holdiong a minority view) think that the DB's will be pretty good --- I see Green and Evans as being quite capable (and improving) --- maybe we get our top S back too (C. Osborne) --- or maybe not. But the back 7 should be pretty solid (if not spectacular). If there is any unit concern, for me it is in the trenches.

Seems to me the D will not be in the top 3 or perhaps 4 in the conference --- but will be not that far off that top grouping. But... one never knows.

Whaley, Compton, and Fisher will start the first game.

Anderson, Roach, and Santos are the first subs.

There is a huge gap in LB between next year's seniors and our recruits. Almost nobody on the roster except Santos and a couple of walkons. Maybe not the best planning on our part to be short-handed like that.

check out the recruiting. we've got a total of what...2 (santos/pirman) linebackers on the team that were recruited in the last 3 years? Big12 or not...Pelini almost completely forgot about LBs for a few years and we'll be paying for it, if not this year then next. We're counting on a lot of guys panning out - when not many usually do. Looking for glimpse into our future DB depth? Look no further than this year's LB depth.

If Fisher starts next year I'll eat my hat

He might. He could be this year's version of Thorellford.

The thought makes me sick to my stomach

I think you're being a little hard on Fisher, who is still recovering from a gruesome leg injury. If he returns to full speed, we could start three senior linebackers; I think that kind of experience would be very valuable. Behind those seniors, "The competition will include other names, such as Trevor Roach, Max Pirman, Graham Stoddard and redshirt freshman David Santos, the touted recruit from the 2011 class that Els said came a long way last season as a redshirt," according to Husker Extra. Add in Anderson, and that kind of depth would allow the three true freshmen to redshirt and compete for starting spots in 2013.

If Fisher starts next year I'll eat my hat

He might. He could be this year's version of Thorellford.

The thought makes me sick to my stomach

I think you're being a little hard on Fisher, who is still recovering from a gruesome leg injury. If he returns to full speed, we could start three senior linebackers; I think that kind of experience would be very valuable. Behind those seniors, "The competition will include other names, such as Trevor Roach, Max Pirman, Graham Stoddard and redshirt freshman David Santos, the touted recruit from the 2011 class that Els said came a long way last season as a redshirt," according to Husker Extra. Add in Anderson, and that kind of depth would allow the three true freshmen to redshirt and compete for starting spots in 2013.

Hey, I hope Fisher has a great season. He seems like a good kid and I have nothing against him. I just said I could see him starting only because of experience and then he routinely gets burned. I saw that enough last year to last about 5 seasons.

This. I hope Fish can rebound, but I don't think he'll be the same from his injury. I have painful memories of him getting his ankles broken(He completely fell down) by Russell Wilson on a simple juke move and when Braxton Miller rolled his ankle and fell into Fisher and he celebrated like he made the play. I'd love for him to come strong next year but I can't count on it.

J. Williams wasn't very big either but was a sensational LB for us. Hard to believe we had him "and" Farley at the same time. Wow....those two were terrific.

Good points. Some of our greatest LBs over the years have basically been converted safeties. Size-wise, anyway.

This. I hope Fish can rebound, but I don't think he'll be the same from his injury. I have painful memories of him getting his ankles broken(He completely fell down) by Russell Wilson on a simple juke move and when Braxton Miller rolled his ankle and fell into Fisher and he celebrated like he made the play. I'd love for him to come strong next year but I can't count on it.

I agree.

I think we all want Sean to improve and do well, but with how much I hated seeing him get abused last year, I don't even want to imagine him starting at LB for us this year.

We need a better player than Fisher. It's the truth.

• Fire 1

http://espn.go.com/b...n/post?id=45552

BIG SHOES TO FILL: Lavonte David, LB

Why: There was arguably no more valuable defensive player in the Big Ten last year than David, an All-American and Butkus finalist who led the Huskers with 133 tackles. When Nebraska needed a big stop, David was usually the guy to provide it. The front seven for Bo Pelini underachieved in some ways in 2011, and David was easily the team's most consistent player on that side of the ball. David made up for a lack of overwhelming size with his speed, tackling ability and instincts for the game. And his top two listed backups at weakside linebackers were also seniors.

Replacement candidates: Sean Fisher (6-6, 235, Sr.), David Santos (6-0, 205, RFr.), Alonzo Whaley (6-1, 235, Sr.), Zaire Anderson (6-1, 220, incoming junior college transfer), Jared Afalava (6-3, 215, incoming freshman), Michael Rose (6-0, 225, incoming freshman), Thomas Brown (6-2, 210, incoming freshman)

The skinny: Nebraska brought in four linebackers in this year's recruiting class to fill some holes at the position. Fisher has been held back by injuries and inconsistency and is built more like a defensive end. Santos could be ready to make an impact after redshirting. Anderson is a well-regarded junior-college signee, just as David was two years ago. Rose and Brown are viewed more as inside linebackers, but nothing is set in stone. The Huskers hope someone from this wide pool of candidate announces himself this spring.