The LB thread(2012)

n.e.husker

Will Compton is not a Mike LB and putting him there will make the whole defense suspect. Compton is simply not physical enough at the point of attack. You want to talk about patty caking just watch Compton's tape.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

You realize that Compton was exceptional late in the year, right? It really seemed like he just let go and played football, and I am excited to see what he can do on defense in 2012.

When I think about what made LaVonte David such a dynamic player, it wasn't so much his speed, or his ability to tackle or even his over all athleticism-it was his football intuition. He he had such a keen sense of the game. THAT is what I am looking for with regards to his replacement. Since the other two players that David replaced when he first started are now healthy, let's see what they can do. However, I think I'm more interested in seeing what the new JUCO player can do. It will be an interesting Spring Game.

• Fire 1

When I think about what made LaVonte David such a dynamic player, it wasn't so much his speed, or his ability to tackle or even his over all athleticism-it was his football intuition. He he had such a keen sense of the game. THAT is what I am looking for with regards to his replacement. Since the other two players that David replaced when he first started are now healthy, let's see what they can do. However, I think I'm more interested in seeing what the new JUCO player can do. It will be an interesting Spring Game.

I think that's gotta be the major reason too. There's zillions of guys with almost the same size, 40 yd dash times, etc but "something" separates the great from the average on the field. Was T. Farley, J. Williams, J. Murtaugh, SuperD & David and so on the biggest and/or fastest players lbs in cfb when they played? Nope.

Instinct, intuition, lucky.....whatever it is, it's real and we want it.

Will Compton is not a Mike LB and putting him there will make the whole defense suspect. Compton is simply not physical enough at the point of attack. You want to talk about patty caking just watch Compton's tape.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

You realize that Compton was exceptional late in the year, right? It really seemed like he just let go and played football, and I am excited to see what he can do on defense in 2012.

I saw some improvement in Compton sure. But he still needs to be more physical.

Compton needs to have a monster year. After him, I expect Whaley to play solid. Then ZA and Santos are my wildcards (we need to find a stud LB in one of these guys). Spot play from Fisher and Roach. Would be great to see the freshman LB's step up...I expect Brown to RS. Rose and Afalava...spring practice will tell.

Big thing will be how soon Anderson and Santos can get up to speed. Need one or maybe both ready to start. My guess is we see Whaley, Compton, and Anderson in our base-D come Fall. You never know but I have little faith left in Fisher, maybe he could've been something without the broken leg. Now that Whaley has his head on straight maybe he'll be a solid starter for us. Hopefully Pirman and Roach are getting there too. Roach looked good in what little opportunity he got last season.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120409/BIGRED/704099874#notes-kreikemeier-spending-time-at-middle-lb

LINCOLN — Micah Kreikemeier is working at middle linebacker as he prepares for his final season and perhaps a first chance to contribute as a Husker.

Advertisement

Kreikemeier has been plagued by injury problems since being the first player to commit to Nebraska after Bo Pelini was named head coach in December 2007.

"He's working hard every day," NU defensive coordinator John Papuchis said. "I would love to see good things happen for Micah because he's had some injuries to overcome. And we'll see."

Nebraska, however, has senior Will Compton and sophomore Trevor Roach at middle linebacker, and Papuchis said Monday that Compton is "playing as close to as good as he's played since I've seen him here."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120408/BIGRED/704089868#huskers-are-counting-on-veteran-linebacker-trio

"We have good talent there, they're just inexperienced," Els said. "So we'll see how they produce."

Compton, Whaley and Fisher need to come through as seniors — and help develop the underclassmen — but the future also will be about restocking the shelves if the Huskers intend to play less nickel and dime packages in the Big Ten.

NU coach Bo Pelini said last week that there remains a dropoff from the No. 1s to the No. 2s, and that the backups need to keep coming. Els knows there are temporary depth issues with just two scholarship linebackers who aren't seniors (Roach is a walk-on).

"We're still with that transition from the Big 12, more of a spread-out conference, to the Big Ten," he said. "This was the first year where we really emphasized signing linebackers. That's why we took four. We maybe take three or four out of this year's class, too, to get caught back up."

i hope Santos bulks up, playing LB at 205 is asking a lot in the B1G..........even Davd understood he had to bulk up to 225 last season to survive.

I'm pretty darn sure Santos isn't 205lbs anymore.....he's the same height as Lavonte, yet bigger I believe.

Santos is up around 220 now the last I heard.

i hope Santos bulks up, playing LB at 205 is asking a lot in the B1G..........even Davd understood he had to bulk up to 225 last season to survive.

I'm pretty darn sure Santos isn't 205lbs anymore.....he's the same height as Lavonte, yet bigger I believe.

This. If he can pickup the defense enough to see the field, athleticism at that spot improves immensely, imo.

This. If he can pickup the defense enough to see the field, athleticism at that spot improves immensely, imo.

Lavonte David 2.0.

We wish

Anybody else scared about Els mentioning the dropoff between the 1's and 2's at LB and listing Fisher as a starter?

I really hope he's running with the 1's strictly based on seniority and not as a reflection of where everyone else is at. But who knows... maybe he really is about to put it all together for his senior campaign. I'd give it about a 5% chance though.