What I am going to give up for lent

I gave up making fun of Po and calling him jewish and all the other assorted crap he has taken from me.

Wait a sec, I ain't Catholic or anything like that so screw that Po IS A JEW.

Another thing about this time of year that pissed me off was in Elem/HS and then slightly in college, was the fact that every Friday I could plan on not eating in the cafeteria as that sh#t ain't fish.

I gave up making fun of Po and calling him jewish and all the other assorted crap he has taken from me.

Another thing about this time of year that pissed me off was in Elem/HS and then slightly in college, was the fact that every Friday I could plan on not eating in the cafeteria as that sh#t ain't fish.

I don't have a 5 in. nose, so I can't be Jewish. Its physically impossible. (Any Jewish people out there, Im kidding)

I remember salmon balls being a popular dish when I was a youngin. The whole school would smell like a slutty sorority house.

• Fire 1

My favorite part about Lent is accidentally harassing my girlfriend. For example, you're apparently supposed to fast on Ash Wednesday, something I didn't know. I spent the whole day eating in front of her and even brought food to her apartment, continually forgetting that she couldn't eat a lot that day. Personally, I think fasting is ridiculous, but each to their own.

She also gave up sweets, and now (Friday) I continue to accidentally offer her candy or tell her about how many oreos I had while watching Archer last night (at least 10.)

My favorite part about Lent is accidentally harassing my girlfriend. For example, you're apparently supposed to fast on Ash Wednesday, something I didn't know. I spent the whole day eating in front of her and even brought food to her apartment, continually forgetting that she couldn't eat a lot that day. Personally, I think fasting is ridiculous, but each to their own.

She also gave up sweets, and now (Friday) I continue to accidentally offer her candy or tell her about how many oreos I had while watching Archer last night (at least 10.)

In college I used to devour as much red meat as possible in front of my Catholic friends because most of them had no idea what Lent was about. I usually packed on a few pounds during that time.

In college I used to devour as much red meat as possible in front of my Catholic friends because most of them had no idea what Lent was about. I usually packed on a few pounds during that time.

At least we love sushi, so her not being able to eat red meat today still works out for me :).

Why do people give things up for Lent? What does it do?

It is intended to be a symbolic sacrifice to help remind you what the Lenten season is really about. The church views this time period as a time to renew your commitment and to turn away from sin and our wicked ways. Although the Gene Wilder picture is funny, I don't think anyone is delusional enough to equate giving up something like soda for 40 days to dying on a cross for all of humanity. I really don't understand the fish thing but, I like fish and seafood so don't really have a problem with it. During my years at UNL, we would make frequent trips to the fish fry in Abie north of LIncoln. It really wasn't any kind of sacrifice. We would eat tons of very good fish, drink tons of beer, and have fun getting wild with some of the elderly ladies at the fish fry. I know it sounds a little strange but the old ladies seemed to really enjoy drinking and dancing with college guys and we didn't care cuz we had beer and were road tripping.