IF...the Doc era ends Thursday night

IF Doc is let go at some point fairly soon after Thursday night.....(and I preface the thread with IF because none of us know what T.O. has in mind).........

But IF it happens....

Looking back the last six years, what would you characterize as the HIGHLIGHT of the year ?

And what would you characterize as the HIGHLIGHT of his tenure ?

My answer for the current year would be the upset of Indiana. Even more impressive when you recall that 30-1 Kentucky's only loss occurred to Indiana in the same portion of the season (not influenced by injuries, maturity, suspensions, etc.)

For the career, I'd suggest the year he took the smallest team in Div 1 and scrapped their way to a bunch of wins, and it could be argued, (had they possessed ANY inside presence), could have really made some noise.

I can honestly say I probably didn't follow the team close enough to give out those answers or at least things didn't leave that lasting of an impression because they are diluted by the number of games played a year and the fact that it wasn't ever the difference maker that got us to the NCAAs. I guess the thing I'll remember about Doc if he goes (I'll give him 30% that he stays) is that he became one of us. I never felt like we were sold a used card once with this guy. If anything he was probably too honest about his struggles and too willing to say "I don't have the answer." which eventually backfired on him a little.

There does seem to be a little traction growing that he might be here next year with a "Strickland or Lue" type of guy on the bench for a year that could lead to a change easier once TO retires in 2013.

• Fire 1

There does seem to be a little traction growing that he might be here next year with a "Strickland or Lue" type of guy on the bench for a year that could lead to a change easier once TO retires in 2013.

Boy, if this comes true, then I need to just stop following Nebraska sports. This would underline Osborne's inability to put what's right for the program above his personal affections. He would be hamstringing yet another of our sports.

• Fire 1

If you're Doc, why would you allow yourself to be forced to take on Strickland or Lue, knowing that they're just there to replace you? Especially after this happened with Mike Anderson, if I'm Doc and they try to force this on me I'm just staying home until they fire me and collecting my $40,000 a month contract.

If you're Doc, why would you allow yourself to be forced to take on Strickland or Lue, knowing that they're just there to replace you? Especially after this happened with Mike Anderson, if I'm Doc and they try to force this on me I'm just staying home until they fire me and collecting my $40,000 a month contract.

Make that $66,667 per month until his contract expires in June 2016. $3.4 million. Thanks, TO.

Make that $66,667 per month until his contract expires in June 2016. $3.4 million. Thanks, TO.

That's why Doc will be the coach next season. No doubt about it.

Thanks for the correction, 308. I knew it was some absurd number.

And I agree, Louisiana. I will be surprised if Doc is still here next year. If he's not, Osborne is going to have some explaining to do with his contract decisions.

Thanks for the correction, 308. I knew it was some absurd number.

And I agree, Louisiana. I will be surprised if Doc is still here next year. If he's not, Osborne is going to have some explaining to do with his contract decisions.

I think Doc is a goner.... but to be completely honest, i would not be surprised either way if he stays or goes....

I can honestly say I probably didn't follow the team close enough to give out those answers or at least things didn't leave that lasting of an impression because they are diluted by the number of games played a year and the fact that it wasn't ever the difference maker that got us to the NCAAs. I guess the thing I'll remember about Doc if he goes (I'll give him 30% that he stays) is that he became one of us. I never felt like we were sold a used card once with this guy. If anything he was probably too honest about his struggles and too willing to say "I don't have the answer." which eventually backfired on him a little.

Are you talking about Rod Stickland? The 4-DUI Rod Strickland?

and

Are you talking Tyronn Lue... .who's never coached anywhere?

You want one of these 2 to be the heir apparent?

and

Erick Strickland. Former Husker.

And I don't think da skers is advocating for either guy, just passing along the scuttlebutt from the front office.

You also have to remember - it's not like it can get a lot worse here.

and

Erick Strickland. Former Husker.

And I don't think da skers is advocating for either guy, just passing along the scuttlebutt from the front office.

You also have to remember - it's not like it can get a lot worse here.

Thanks for the clarification. But that Strickland's never coached either, as far as I can see.

NU needs to look to a good, mid-major program like Wichita State or Murray State or St. Mary's. Either that or an assistant at an ACC or Big East team, imo. Either way, good luck. The Big 10 ain't getting easier.

Thanks for the clarification. But that Strickland's never coached either, as far as I can see.

NU needs to look to a good, mid-major program like Wichita State or Murray State or St. Mary's. Either that or an assistant at an ACC or Big East team, imo. Either way, good luck. The Big 10 ain't getting easier.

You're right, which is why both the Lue and Strickland names are so baffling. It's great that they're "family" and I have respect for these guys, but to make them your head coach is odd. We have the money to go out and get a "real" coach. But we never have, and who knows if we ever will.

Sort of interesting that the original intent of the post was to garner ideas on “highlights” of both this year, and of Doc’s tenure, but so far the responses have bounced around the familiar areas of possible successors and will he/won’t he be back.

I’m guessing that’s largely due to folks finding a hard time finding much they consider “highlights”.

That in itself is telling…….