What will change, hopefully change, or stay the same with the 2012 offense?

I have yet to see this offense do anything basic to see if there are any changes needed. Overall, not enough ball security, too many dropped passes, poor blocking, penalties, loss of focus, lack of leadership. How does one recommend a change in an offense that at its core is its own worst enemy? If we can just play solid football I think these kinds of threads become fewer and have less input.

Yep. You nailed it for, sheepdog. I guess the next question is why the O has seemed to be good at times at some things, and bad at times at the same. Is the problem that the O tries to be jack-of-all-trade, "multiple" as some would call it, instead of finding one-type of offensive scheme, and mastering it? Is it something as simple as just not having the correct talent (whether that mean "good fit" or better talent)? Is it a Callahan-type syndrome where the fundamentals are not taught because the coaches expect that players already have the fundamental ingrained by the time they get to this level?

IMO, its the jack-of-all-trade problem, and I think it starts mostly with the O-line. I look at O-line blocking similar to D blitzing. If a D-line can successfully pass blitz, it can usually stop the run on its way to the QB. If an O-line can blast a D off the ball in the running game, the same basic blocking scheme can be used to support the passing game since the D should never get to the QB even the O-line doesn't form a true pocket.

I guess to answer Enhance's question, among other suggestions, I would hope for a simpler O-line scheme.

I would like to see Taylor improve his mechanics. I agree with Enhance that Taylor is much more effective out of the shotgun because it gives him a chance to see the play develop from a distance. I think if we dial up some short slants and WR & RB screens to get the ball to our speedsters (Bell, Turner, Green, Abdullah) + Rex, it would not only be a good way to spreading the defense out and keeping them on their toes, but it would make Taylor's throws a lot more reasonable.

A steady dose of Rex is necessary. No changes there.

I love our WRs. I think we have good speed with Bell and Turner. Enunwa is a possession receiver with some speed as well. I think if we can get them to run some routes that allows them to run after the catch, we could be dangerous. It not only gives Taylor an easier, high percentage throw, it allows our WRs to use their feet as well as their hands.

Diamond would be nice given it's previous success.

Don't know an awful lot about the line. I realize it's important, but it's not my favorite position to follow. Hopefully someone steps up and fills the Center role.

I have yet to see this offense do anything basic to see if there are any changes needed. Overall, not enough ball security, too many dropped passes, poor blocking, penalties, loss of focus, lack of leadership. How does one recommend a change in an offense that at its core is its own worst enemy? If we can just play solid football I think these kinds of threads become fewer and have less input.

Yep. You nailed it for, sheepdog. I guess the next question is why the O has seemed to be good at times at some things, and bad at times at the same. Is the problem that the O tries to be jack-of-all-trade, "multiple" as some would call it, instead of finding one-type of offensive scheme, and mastering it? Is it something as simple as just not having the correct talent (whether that mean "good fit" or better talent)? Is it a Callahan-type syndrome where the fundamentals are not taught because the coaches expect that players already have the fundamental ingrained by the time they get to this level?

IMO, its the jack-of-all-trade problem, and I think it starts mostly with the O-line. I look at O-line blocking similar to D blitzing. If a D-line can successfully pass blitz, it can usually stop the run on its way to the QB. If an O-line can blast a D off the ball in the running game, the same basic blocking scheme can be used to support the passing game since the D should never get to the QB even the O-line doesn't form a true pocket.

I guess to answer Enhance's question, among other suggestions, I would hope for a simpler O-line scheme.

I agree. I was going to say I wanted to see an Oline that gets after it with pulling guards etc. I thought they improved last year from the previous on drive killing holding and offsides calls but we still had too many. We had two or three guys that learned to play to the whistle but we still have too many guys (at a lot of places on offense) that had the 3 seconds of blocking then quit and watch the play on the Husker Vision. We also had our leaders like Yoshi not taking game prep serious at times. WE just need about 3 guys to lead that part of the roster better and I think that helps the offense.

I

There were several games where our tendencies hurt us. So we need to have a better mix of counters off of some of our plays to keep the defense honest. I thought we did okay with play action, but there are run counters that I think we could do as well.

I would like to see less play calling from the sideline. From an NCAA standpoint I think they should outlaw this. Once they wind the clock the players should be on their own until the whistle blows, the only thing the coaches should be able to do is call time out.

More subbing in games for player development. QB,RB,OL,WR all had players that I think could of got more time.

I prefer an offense with a strong run game, so I'd like to see anywhere between 60-40 and 70-30 run/pass ratio.

• Fire 1

We have one year of Beck's offense to analyze and diagnose. We have a lot of film showing what we liked, what we didn't like and what we need to improve on. What do my Husker brethren think will change, hope will change, or stay the same about Beck's offense in 2012? Keep in mind that this is the first time Martinez, and several other players, will be playing in the same offense two years in a row. There's a lot of room for potential and growth.

I'm not looking for so much as 'Well, I hope we find someone to play tackle.", as much as "I hope our offense does more of X as opposed to Y." Either is fine, though, if you believe it pertains.

Personally, I hope we see our offense better tailored to fit Martinez' strengths, or at least the strengths I think he has. The passing game is what it is with him, but I think we can more effectively utilize his running skills. For example, I don't think Martinez has the agility to run traditional option. He's too close to the line, doesn't have that great lateral movement, and didn't make correct reads very often last year. However, when he's back in the shotgun with more room to spare, his running skills and read skills seemed significantly better. I hope we see less traditional option and more shotgun option.

Here's what I want to see in '12

- More 30 or diamond formation.

- All receivers catching the ball once it hits their hands.

- Fierce pass rush.

- Increased blitzing, especially on 3rd down.

- Minimize unforced errors.

- Put forth maximum effort each snap.

- Never quit or allow a teammate to quit.

- Vocal leadership.

- Prepare for every opponent like it is the national title game.

There were several games where our tendencies hurt us. So we need to have a better mix of counters off of some of our plays to keep the defense honest. I thought we did okay with play action, but there are run counters that I think we could do as well.

I would like to see less play calling from the sideline. From an NCAA standpoint I think they should outlaw this. Once they wind the clock the players should be on their own until the whistle blows, the only thing the coaches should be able to do is call time out.

More subbing in games for player development. QB,RB,OL,WR all had players that I think could of got more time.

I prefer an offense with a strong run game, so I'd like to see anywhere between 60-40 and 70-30 run/pass ratio.

i believe we were 68-32 run pass in 2011....Beck has stated he wants to be 50/50 this season......probably a lot of short stuff, not sure how that will play.

We have one year of Beck's offense to analyze and diagnose. We have a lot of film showing what we liked, what we didn't like and what we need to improve on. What do my Husker brethren think will change, hope will change, or stay the same about Beck's offense in 2012? Keep in mind that this is the first time Martinez, and several other players, will be playing in the same offense two years in a row. There's a lot of room for potential and growth.

I'm not looking for so much as 'Well, I hope we find someone to play tackle.", as much as "I hope our offense does more of X as opposed to Y." Either is fine, though, if you believe it pertains.

Personally, I hope we see our offense better tailored to fit Martinez' strengths, or at least the strengths I think he has. The passing game is what it is with him, but I think we can more effectively utilize his running skills. For example, I don't think Martinez has the agility to run traditional option. He's too close to the line, doesn't have that great lateral movement, and didn't make correct reads very often last year. However, when he's back in the shotgun with more room to spare, his running skills and read skills seemed significantly better. I hope we see less traditional option and more shotgun option.

Here's what I want to see in '12

- More 30 or diamond formation.

- All receivers catching the ball once it hits their hands.

- Fierce pass rush.

- Increased blitzing, especially on 3rd down.

- Minimize unforced errors.

- Put forth maximum effort each snap.

- Never quit or allow a teammate to quit.

- Vocal leadership.

- Prepare for every opponent like it is the national title game.

You want the other team to have better pass rush and blitz our offense more on 3rd down?

I want to see our defense blitz. I want to see our defense come out of no where and BAM! the guy is down. That's one thing I miss. Back in the day the other team knew it had played Nebraska! We wore them out!! The quarterback would back up to throw and in the next instant he was eating grass! Or a receiver would catch the ball and out of no where one of our defensive guys would hit him so hard he coughed up the ball and we would intercept then run in for a defensive touchdown. I want to see a physical defense that can stand up to anything for ALL 4 QUARTERS.

I want to see our defense blitz. I want to see our defense come out of no where and BAM! the guy is down. That's one thing I miss. Back in the day the other team knew it had played Nebraska! We wore them out!! The quarterback would back up to throw and in the next instant he was eating grass! Or a receiver would catch the ball and out of no where one of our defensive guys would hit him so hard he coughed up the ball and we would intercept then run in for a defensive touchdown. I want to see a physical defense that can stand up to anything for ALL 4 QUARTERS.

I'm hoping that we're more aggressive this season. Maybe if our secondary play improves we'll see more risk taking.

i believe we were 68-32 run pass in 2011....Beck has stated he wants to be 50/50 this season......probably a lot of short stuff, not sure how that will play.

Yah, I saw that. Wasn't thrilled, but you have a point in that short stuff can be like a handoff. I guess as long as we remain physical and aggressive and don't get in long yardage situations then it doesn't matter how you do it, although I think it's hardier to wear teams down with any type of passing game. I liked our ration last year. I would of prefer them not to run Rex quite as much but I thought when they concentrated on the run and stayed in front of the chains we did better. I think play action helps Tmart. If they go 50/50 we will probably see less of what I like.