OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Dana Altman is *not* a big name hire. And try getting NU fans excited about a guy that coached at Creighton, no matter where he came from in Nebraska.

I don't think Altman is the guy, but I'm pretty sure there is a former Creighton coach now leading a team at Nebraska that is doing pretty well.

I don't know if Altman is the guy either (although he and T.O. are friends so I'd guess there will at least be some conversation)...........but you'd have to love the angst among the Bluejays if they became our feeder system for coaches..............

We will stick with McDermott. Nebraska can have Altman. Deal?

I don't think I'll weigh in on that offer thanks.............because I don't know how I'd feel if it does end up Altman....

But surely you'd agree that the rivalry would ratchet up with that hire........right?

As far as if Creighton would consider Nebraska their biggest rival, I'd probably say no. I don't think it will become like a Xavier/Cincy rivalry, but it could be good.

Dana Altman is *not* a big name hire. And try getting NU fans excited about a guy that coached at Creighton, no matter where he came from in Nebraska.

I don't think Altman is the guy, but I'm pretty sure there is a former Creighton coach now leading a team at Nebraska that is doing pretty well.

I don't know if Altman is the guy either (although he and T.O. are friends so I'd guess there will at least be some conversation)...........but you'd have to love the angst among the Bluejays if they became our feeder system for coaches..............

I like Altman, but I want something better right now. As for McDermott, we will see how good of a coach he is when his son is gone. The Jays would probably be a game or two above .500 today if his son had gone to Northern Iowa. Ask ISU fan what they think about McDermott. I sure as heck don't want him at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

I like Altman, but I want something better right now. As for McDermott, we will see how good of a coach he is when his son is gone. The Jays would probably be a game or two above .500 today if his son had gone to Northern Iowa. Ask ISU fan what they think about McDermott. I sure as heck don't want him at Nebraska.

I wonder how his son got so good...? It's a mystery...

No not really, being a coaches son, the kid probably had a basketball in his hands half his life. It's actually a common thing to see if you follow basketball at all. If you are saying it's only because his dad is his coach now then why is the rest of the team not as good as the son or why did ISU suck so much the years he was there? If McDermott had come to Creighton a year later, his son would have been a Panther and we wouldn't even be having any conversation about how good a coach he is, period.

• Fire 1

The guy I wanted post Collier was Rick Majerus but I think it is too late in his career to go after him now. He had a heck of a run at Utah and thought he could do the same here. I will say, I am surprised and disappointed he hasn't done better at St. Loius but without a doubt he would have done better then Sadler did here. I'll stick with Gregg Marshall.

No not really, being a coaches son, the kid probably had a basketball in his hands half his life. It's actually a common thing to see if you follow basketball at all. If you are saying it's only because his dad is his coach now then why is the rest of the team not as good as the son or why did ISU suck so much the years he was there? If McDermott had come to Creighton a year later, his son would have been a Panther and we wouldn't even be having any conversation about how good a coach he is, period.

Yeah, your proving my point, his dad has been coaching him his whole life. And if Doug was so good in high school, how come he wasn't widely recruited? Its not because UNC, Duke and other top schools didn't go see their team play. He had plenty of exposure from top programs because of Harrison Barnes. He peaked at Creighton.

Have you even watched Creighton play? They are 10 deep on the bench. Not many teams in the NCAA can say that. Antione Young and Josh Jones are playing better than they have ever played at Creighton. They are ranked third in 3 pt. fg % in the nation. They have made 270 threes. McDermott has made 52 of those. I'd hardly say the other players on the team are not good.

And using ISU as an example for proving your point that McDermott can't coach is hardly valid. ISU is worse place to play than Nebraska, and look how bad Nebraska has been historically in basketball. Creighton is a little easier to recruit than ISU.

Yeah, your proving my point, his dad has been coaching him his whole life. And if Doug was so good in high school, how come he wasn't widely recruited? Its not because UNC, Duke and other top schools didn't go see their team play. He had plenty of exposure from top programs because of Harrison Barnes. He peaked at Creighton.

Have you even watched Creighton play? They are 10 deep on the bench. Not many teams in the NCAA can say that. Antione Young and Josh Jones are playing better than they have ever played at Creighton. They are ranked third in 3 pt. fg % in the nation. They have made 270 threes. McDermott has made 52 of those. I'd hardly say the other players on the team are not good.

And using ISU as an example for proving your point that McDermott can't coach is hardly valid. ISU is worse place to play than Nebraska, and look how bad Nebraska has been historically in basketball. Creighton is a little easier to recruit than ISU.

No, I didn't prove any of your points. Doug may have not been highly touted out of high school and may have made a jump in his abilities once he got to college but he would be doing just as much damage right now if he had went to Northern Iowa instead of Creighton.

If you believe Creighton is that deep then in your opinion, tell me what would their record be this year without Doug? I don't see them being anything special without him.

By you saying ISU is a worse place to play tells me you have a very limited basketball memory and invalidates every point you try to make. Take your blue glasses off for a second and go read some espn or wiki pages on what the cyclones have done in basketball the last couple of decades then get back to me on why McDermott couldn't do anything there. Then when you are done with that, find my one ISU fan that wishes McDermott was still their coach.

All I'll say to Creighton fan is enjoy this year and if Doug doesn't leave early for the NBA then enjoy the following couple after that because it should be a good ride as long as he is there. Once he is gone, all bets are off on what that team does. It would also probably be in the best interest of Bluejay fan if Nebraska did hire Marshall out of WSU. The chance of just one loss a year would be better then two.

Here's another couch who should get a look...

2011-12 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff

<p class="contentDiv" id="ctl00_contentDiv" style="width: 100%; float: left;">

Coaches

Expand

player_Bru-HS-Web.gif

James Flint

Head Men's Basketball Coach

Phone: x-2027

Email: flint@drexel.edu

James "Bruiser" Flint is now in his 11th season as the head coach at Drexel University. He has established Drexel as one of the top programs in the CAA since arriving on the University City campus in 2001. The Philadelphia native was named the CAA Coach of the Year in 2009 for the third time, making him just one of two coaches in league history to win the award on three occasions. He was also named the District 10 Regional Coach of the Year by the NABC. Flint and Old Dominion’s Blaine Taylor are now the longest tenured coaches in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Last season, Flint led one of the younger teams in the conference to a 21-10 mark. Drexel stunned No. 20 Louisville on its home court, handing the Cardinals their first-ever loss in their new building. The Dragons also defeated NCAA Tournament teams Old Dominion and VCU on the way to a 20 win season for the second time in the last five years. The Dragons were 11-7 in the CAA, marking the eighth time in Flint’s 10 seasons at Drexel that the team posted at least 11 league wins. Drexel is one of only four schools in the CAA to boast that accomplishment.

Flint enters the 2011-12 season with a 256-206 career record. He earned his 250th career win on Feb. 2 against Towson in the Daskalakis Athletic Center. Three weeks later, Flint picked up his 168th victory at Drexel as the Dragons defeated VCU on Senior Night. That win moved Flint passed Bill Herrion into third place on Drexel’s career coaching win list.

Flint has a 170-134 record at the school and an impressive 106-74 mark in CAA play. Since his arrival, the Dragons have had the CAA Defensive Player of the Year on four occasions, have had 15 All-CAA selections, 11 members of the conference's All-Defensive team, five players named to the league’s All-Rookie team and a CAA Rookie of the Year.

Drexel was picked to finish last in the CAA preseason poll in 2008-09, but Flint’s squad finished the year with a 10-8 mark in the CAA and 15-14 overall. Of the eight conference losses, five were by a point or in overtime. The Dragons, know for their defense, finished second in the league in field-goal percentage defense and allowed just 61.2 points per game. It was the third time in the last four years Drexel has been in the CAA’s top three in that category. The Dragons also won seven straight CAA games for the first time in school history and won both of their meetings with Philadelphia Big 5 schools. Drexel opened the year with a victory against Penn on ESPN and defeated Saint Joseph’s on New Year’s Eve.

Flint led the Dragons to 23 wins during the 2006-07 season, the most wins for a Drexel team since the 1995-96 campaign. Drexel finished 23-9 overall and won 13 road games, tying for the most in all of Division I. The Dragons won at nationally-ranked Syracuse, at Villanova and at Creighton in front of the largest crowd ever to see a game in the state of Nebraska. In addition, Flint became the first coach in Drexel history ever to beat three Philadelphia Big 5 teams in one season. He won his second NABC District Coach of the Year Award as the Dragons narrowly missed out on an NCAA at-large berth. His team led the conference in field-goal percentage defense and blocked shots and gave up just 60.6 points per contest.

During the 2004-05 season, despite key injuries to a number of players, Drexel had a 17-12 mark and a 12-6 record in the CAA. The Dragons, playing without two injured starters, took MAC runner-up Buffalo to overtime on its home court in the opening round of the NIT. It was the third straight season Flint led a Drexel team to the postseason.

In 2003-04, Flint was named the CAA Coach of the Year after leading a team picked to finish in a tie for fourth place to a second-place finish with a 13-5 league record. The Dragons won 12 of their last 15 regular-season games and finished just one game behind Virginia Commonwealth. Overall, Flint's team finished 18-11 and advanced to the NIT for the second straight season. The Dragons lost at Villanova in the first round.

In his second season, Flint returned the Dragons to the postseason for the first time in six years. Drexel won 19 games and finished 12-6 in the CAA. The Dragons won two games at the CAA Tournament and advanced to the championship game. Drexel lost in the finals, but was rewarded with a bid to the NIT, only the sixth postseason appearance in the school's history.

T_O_B

G>B>R

No, I didn't prove any of your points. Doug may have not been highly touted out of high school and may have made a jump in his abilities once he got to college but he would be doing just as much damage right now if he had went to Northern Iowa instead of Creighton.

If you believe Creighton is that deep then in your opinion, tell me what would their record be this year without Doug? I don't see them being anything special without him.

By you saying ISU is a worse place to play tells me you have a very limited basketball memory and invalidates every point you try to make. Take your blue glasses off for a second and go read some espn or wiki pages on what the cyclones have done in basketball the last couple of decades then get back to me on why McDermott couldn't do anything there. Then when you are done with that, find my one ISU fan that wishes McDermott was still their coach.

All I'll say to Creighton fan is enjoy this year and if Doug doesn't leave early for the NBA then enjoy the following couple after that because it should be a good ride as long as he is there. Once he is gone, all bets are off on what that team does. It would also probably be in the best interest of Bluejay fan if Nebraska did hire Marshall out of WSU. The chance of just one loss a year would be better then two.

You really want to get into a pissing contest with me? I've been very respectful of Nebraska basketball this year. Been cheering for them every game (except one) and wishing them well. Can't say the same about you Husker fans about Creighton, except PaulCrewe. Especially when I posted in the Creighton/Nebraska game thread. The difference between you and I (and prob. some other Husker fans) is I would love nothing more than for both teams to be successful and make NCAA appearances. You hope Creighton loses every game. Pretty sad.

You have absolutely nothing to back up your statement that he would be doing just as good at Northern Iowa. Nothing. Except your personal opinion.

As far as if we wouldn't be as good if we did not have McDermott, well, no durr. That is a stupid argument. You can make that argument for any team in the nation. UNC wouldn't be as good if Harrison Barnes wasn't on the team. Duke wouldn't be as good if they didn't have Curry or Rivers. Lakers wouldn't be as good if they didn't have Kobe. The only team that is better without their star player than with their star player are the NY Knicks. But if your saying the depth of the bench and the role players do not help teams become championship contenders, than you know nothing about basketball. Your argument would be more valid in my eyes if you actually watched the team and watched the games where McDermott would only score 14 pts. and one of the other players (Young, Ebcenique, Jones, Wragge) would step up and score in the 20's or double digits and help the team win.

As far as McDermott at ISU, ISU sucked the last two years Eustachy was there and never recovered. You have no idea what other factors went into Mcdermott not succeeding at ISU. Your taking four years of his coaching career and making your argument. What about his years at Wayne St. and his 116-53 record there? What about his years at Northern Iowa and his three NCAA appearances there and a 90-63 overall record? What about his 23 wins at Creighton his first year there? Oh yeah, I forgot, they don't count because you want to make your argument that he is not a good coach, I forgot.

Quote from Po Belini....

You really want to get into a pissing contest with me? I've been very respectful of Nebraska basketball this year. Been cheering for them every game (except one) and wishing them well. Can't say the same about you Husker fans about Creighton, except PaulCrewe. Especially when I posted in the Creighton/Nebraska game thread. The difference between you and I (and prob. some other Husker fans) is I would love nothing more than for both teams to be successful and make NCAA appearances. You hope Creighton loses every game. Pretty sad.

Don't cast too wide a net. I happen to be one of those guys who has no problem rooting for Creighton (when not playing Nebraska) and think it's good for the state when both are representing well.

I actually have a lot of respect for both McDermotts as well as Ed Servias....................that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the basketball rivalry to have some of the fire the baseball rivalry does.....

It does mean it's time for Nebraska to start holding up their end.....

You have absolutely nothing to back up your statement that he would be doing just as good at Northern Iowa. Nothing. Except your personal opinion.

As far as if we wouldn't be as good if we did not have McDermott, well, no durr. That is a stupid argument. You can make that argument for any team in the nation. UNC wouldn't be as good if Harrison Barnes wasn't on the team. Duke wouldn't be as good if they didn't have Curry or Rivers. Lakers wouldn't be as good if they didn't have Kobe. The only team that is better without their star player than with their star player are the NY Knicks. But if your saying the depth of the bench and the role players do not help teams become championship contenders, than you know nothing about basketball. Your argument would be more valid in my eyes if you actually watched the team and watched the games where McDermott would only score 14 pts. and one of the other players (Young, Ebcenique, Jones, Wragge) would step up and score in the 20's or double digits and help the team win.

As far as McDermott at ISU, ISU sucked the last two years Eustachy was there and never recovered. You have no idea what other factors went into Mcdermott not succeeding at ISU. Your taking four years of his coaching career and making your argument. What about his years at Wayne St. and his 116-53 record there? What about his years at Northern Iowa and his three NCAA appearances there and a 9-63 overall record? What about his 23 wins at Creighton his first year there? Oh yeah, I forgot, they don't count because you want to make your argument that he is not a good coach, I forgot.

Where did I ever say I hope Creighton loses every game? Please answer. The problem with Creighton fan is for some odd reason they are in such need of respect from Nebraska fan as a program and a rival and Nebraska fan doesn't care. It reminds me a lot of how Colorado foortball was forced on us as a rival with Buff fan always wanting to be thought of as the rival and we didn't care. Of course the difference is unlike Creighton, Colorado actually did achieve success on the national level and Nebraska fan still didn't care.

I stand by what I said about Doug going to Northern Iowa. I guess I have more faith in his abilities then you.

Please don't ever compare Duke or North Carolina to Creighton if you want to talk seriously about college basketball. A guy like Doug at Creighton is worth a lot more wins then he would ever be to a team like Duke or North Carolina.

Funny how I don't know any of the factors of why Greg couldn't succeed at ISU, yet you still haven't given me any yourself.

We should be giving Greg respect for what he did at WAYNE STATE?!?!?! LOL, you seriously didn't just threw the Wayne State card did you? If that's the case, I guess by that logic TO better higher Seward's girls coach to replace Sadler since they have not lost in four years. Wayne State? Really?

Northern Iowa, Yes he had success there, but so did Doc Sadler at UTEP. I will give him some credit for his job at Northern Iowa but he lost a lot of that for what he did at Iowa State. He definitely didn't take that next step. If he wasn't going to turn things around in four years there, it was never going to happen. Unlike Nebraska, Iowa State got lucky and the coach left after four instead of having to be fired after six.

I have no problem saying McDermott is a good coach by mid-major standards, but once again here we are with Creighton fan thinking he and the program is the greatest thing since sliced bread because they made the tourney. Would I want him to be the next coach at Nebraska? Heck no! I either want someone who has actually won some games in the dance or that hot up and coming coach that everyone is after. He fits neither.

Still waiting for you to find an ISU fan that wants him back......

• Fire 1