OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Lee B. wants us to take a long hard look at Scott Spinelli.

I would need a good answer from Spinelli as to why he left Nebraska for Wichita State if he liked Lincoln so well. Did he see the writing on the wall and wanted to get out before everyone got fired? If we take a chance on him and he does have success is he going to be committed to staying at Nebraska or move on if he has that chance?

He left with Collier

I swear he left before Collier took the AD position at Butler, like at the end of the 2006 season, but you may be right.

College hoops insider tells me Shaka Smart to Illinois is a done deal. Also, I hear Nebraska has a shot at Altman. Weber may take year off.

LINK

i do not want altman, matter of fact i dont want anyone on our list, any mid major coach will be a bust in our leage, shaka can have his gig at illinois and i bet they will be a sub .500 team, he got some momentum in the tourney last year and won a few games and now everyone is having a hard on for him, vcu will be out in the first round this year

Not really sure I would refer to the Oregon Ducks as a mid major.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Nebraska needs a basketball coach—and Altman has to be top of the list

Posted by George Schroeder

sillouette-01.jpg

03/09/12

2:22pm

If he hasn't already, Dana Altman is going to get a call from someone representing Nebraska, which relieved coach Doc Sadler of his duties today.

I think Altman will consider the thought of leaving Oregon, even after only two seasons on the job. Ultimately, I don't think he'll take the job -- but he might.

We all know of Altman's success at Creighton, a few miles up the road in Omaha. He grew up and his parents still live in Wilber, Neb., 40 miles from Lincoln. His roots are there, and unlike many in college coaching, he seems to be a guy to whom roots matter.

A few things mitigate against the idea:

* Altman's contract calls for a buyout of $1.8 million if he leaves before the end of the second contract year. On top of paying Altman more than his $1.8 million salary, would Nebraska be willing to pay that kind of buyout?

* In his second year at Oregon, he seems to have settled into the building project, and there are tangible results.

* Oregon is a better basketball job than Nebraska -- even with a new arena in Lincoln, Husker hoops remains heavily overshadowed by King Football. Local media have questioned for years whether the school is committed to hoops. Hiring Altman would represent such a commitment, but ... well, he was around to see the school's lack of commitment for a lot of years.

On the other hand, the idea of building a program and becoming a home-state hero? That might be enticing.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Maybe it's my inner Wake Forest fan........but I would not mind Dino Gaudio one bit. Learned from one of the best in Skip Prosser, helped ring in some killer recruiting classes, coached some great, great players CP3 and David West at Xavier among many, and actually had better first and last years coaching at Army compared to two guys that swing a pretty big stick in college bball(Bob Knight and Coach K for those that don't know).

He is an analyst at ESPNU now, and I'll put money on it if John Groce goes anywhere at Ohio, Dino would probably fill the spot(his alma mater).

According to the OWH Spinelli has been contacted.

According to Tom Dienhart/Big Ten Network, we've reached out to Rob Jeter for an interview.

Looks like our AD is still discount shopping for talent.

I would expect that we contact up wards of 15-20 coaches to gage interest and talk to 4 or 5. Most of the interviewing will be done in the next 10 days as teams start to fall. Someone who has the ear during this is Brian at the LJS. The OWH is throwing darts. Yesterday Lee said that SS wasn't contacted and wouldn't be then reports come out that we had talked to him the day before.

Right now we're talking to people who are calling us if it makes anyone feel better.

Curious to gauge your thoughts on this. What list of pre-requisites should potential candidates have?

Prior B1G connections? Head coaching experience at the major and/or mid-major conference level? An established HC vs. "hot name" assistant with no prior HC experience?

I'm just throwing out random questions on this. What are your must-have pre-requisites?

My top three choices are:

1) Shaka Smart

2) Shaka Smart

3) Shaka Smart

Of course, I don't think Nebraska would pay enough to get him and I'm sure TO will go with a Nebraska native....most likely Altman. Sorry, but that's not going to help Nebraska basketball. Altman is amongst the same caliber as a Doc Sadler; sure he got to the tournament, but what else has he done? I have a good feeling that I am going to be very disappointed by the coaching hire.