OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Greg Marshall and the word a-hole have been used a lot from former schools fan and alumni bases

Maybe its time for an a-hole, the nice guys haven't been working.

That.......and it would ratchet up the Creighton rivalry instantly........

#1 I would think is Steve Alford. His ties to the B1G would be a plus, and he is one hell of a good coach and young enough to be around for a long time.

#2 could be Dana Altman. Has the ties to Neb that would keep him around for a long time. Any doubts that he can coach at this level, went out the window after the job he has done at Oregon. Getting a coach from a mid-major is asking for the same results we got with Doc. UTEP is a basketball school but, they don't have to compete with the type of athletes that you see in the B1G. Doc couldn't get it done with the type of players he had at UTEP. Alford can recruit with the big boys, not to sure about Altman on that point. jmo...

GBR!!!

While all the names mentioned so far intrigue me like Shaka Smart, Bruce Pearl, and Brad Stevens...if I had to put money down on one name for the next coach of Nebraska it would be Dana Altman. The man said many years ago that the Nebraska job would be his dream job. He is from Wilber, NE plus he and Tom Osborne are good friends. I think he will at least be in Nebraska's final 3 choices.

My list of guys i would love to have:

Shaka Smart-Probably a pipe dream, he most likely ends up at Illinois if he makes a shift. If we want him, we need to open the checkbook.

Bruce Pearl- Rosenthal said this wont happen and he is most likely right... He would bring a certain level of excitement but he also might turn this in to a dirty program.

Gregg Marshall- He has made Wichita a place to be... I mean come on, Wichita.... WICHITA... Wichita makes Lincoln look like southern cal. He would be a great addition.

Brad Stevens- Zero chance that this happens... but he is worth a phone call.

Larry Eustachy- Cleaned up his life and players love to play for him.

Coaches i dont want:

Dana Altman

Ben Howland

Any of the current coaching staff

In all honesty, if we are willing to pay, and prove we care about basketball, i think we can get someone on my list... I dont think we will but who knows..

I AM SUPER EXCITED!

While all the names mentioned so far intrigue me like Shaka Smart, Bruce Pearl, and Brad Stevens...if I had to put money down on one name for the next coach of Nebraska it would be Dana Altman. The man said many years ago that the Nebraska job would be his dream job. He is from Wilber, NE plus he and Tom Osborne are good friends. I think he will at least be in Nebraska's final 3 choices.

Dana Altman is *not* a big name hire. And try getting NU fans excited about a guy that coached at Creighton, no matter where he came from in Nebraska. Sadly, if all the Eeyore's out there are correct and Osborne has to go with him because the first 12 coaches said no...Well...NU will spend a ton of money getting the same caliber of coach that they just fired, nothing more.

• Fire 2

It would be crazy to have Shaka Smart here. I don't think it happens, but there are a couple of things that could make it so.

1) New Facilities--if we can get a big name coach here, the new facilities will be even more of a recruiting point

2) Willingness to dole out the $$--we're opening the checkbook, can someone like Smart turn down a higher amount than what Illinois might give him if he does get an offer for Nebraska?

Shaka Smart, if he at least lives up to his surname...WILL interview with Nebraska. Nebraskans will get all excited, but for nothing. Nothing says 'I want more $$$ from Illinois, where I want to go' like pretending that I may go to a place that wants to give me a lot of money. NU should be pretty familiar with that concept.

If I had to pick 3 out of the LJS list...

I wasn't real keen on Groce, but he has grown on me. Pluses are he can recruit B1G country and is known as a recruiter. He was a Ohio State assistant so he knows the B1G. Very competitive & smart. I would like this hire. I think he would be the most open.

Marshall has an impressive track record. I was really impressed when they destroyed NU last year. He would be a good hire. I think he can coach and recruit,

Shaka can recruit. Runs an exciting brand of basketball. I would like to see what this guy could do with Nebraska's facilities in a big time conference.

---------------------------------------

On the bubble was Howland. He can recruit the big boys but he runs a loose program. He is a name coach though and I think could get us there. I think he is reachable because of Boehm and timing. He's had an off year at UCLA and some negative pub.

I am not a fan of Miles for this job at this particular time. Recruiting at a b1g level is my concern.

Candidates per Brian Rosenthal:

John Groce- U of Ohio

Ben Howland- UCLA

Tim Miles- Colorado State

Shaka Smart- VCU

Greg Marshall- Wichita State

I'd pretty much be happy with any of those coaches..

I'd also like to see Joe Dooley, KU's assistant, get an interview.. Dooley is one of the best assistants in the game.