OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Smart is on the Illinois short list. I'd still take a shot though.

I like this guy too.

Jimmy Pastos of Loyala Maryland

Patsos served as an assistant coach to Gary Williams at the University of Maryland for 13 years. Patsos took over at Loyola after they suffered a 1-27 season under former coach Scott Hicks.

Patsos was the 20th head coach of Loyola men's basketball. In his first season as coach in 2004, he guided them to a 6-22 record. In his second season, they reached 15-13, the first time they had a winning record since the 1993-94 season, the year they reached the NCAA Tournament under Skip Prosser.

On Dec. 22, 2009 a Patsos led Loyola team recorded the greatest regular season win in program history defeating the Indiana Hoosiers 72-67. The Hounds led by as many as 22, before the Hoosiers rallied to take a late lead. Senior Guard Brett Harvey led the Hounds back scoring 9 points in the final 3 minutes.[2]

He has guided the Greyhounds to multiple 3rd place MAAC finishes, finishing with 18 wins in 2006-07 and a tied a school record with 19 wins in 2007-08.

Patsos has sought local talent in his coaching staff. Former players from Maryland, Terrell Stokes and Matt Kovarik are former assistants at Loyola.[3]

On his staff, Patsos currently has G.G. Smith, son of Minnesota Coach Tubby Smith, former Greyhound Greg Manning, and Luke D'Alessio, former head coach at Division II school, Bowie State.[4]

Patsos received a contract extension from Loyola on July 9, 2008. Per Loyola policies, details of the contract were not released.[5]

T_O_B

G>B>R

Shaka is almost as unreasonable as Brad Stevens. Unfortunately Gregg Marshall is trending that way also. Hearing T.O. say money won't be an issue has me very excited. Honestly, I think I'm changing my mind a little bit on what Tom should look for; I'm starting to think it wouldn't be so terrible to get a big name that will leave in a few years for greener pasture AS LONG AS there is an obvious assistant being groomed to take over. Still not completely sure I'm sold on that idea, but the more I tossed it around today the more I decided it wouldn't be terrible.

Not a lot of candidates that would even consider a move to Nebraska without some big bucks attatched. New facilities and such may help but it will take some really deep pockets to get this fixed along with a massive ego thinking they can. At least I personally am interested in mens bball again. Guess that's a start.

A list of coaches from the Yahoo Sports Article "Shaka Smart, and five other names that could surface quickly in Illinois coaching search". (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/shaka-smart-five-other-names-could-surface-quickly-191415596.html). My favorites for the Huskers in order of preference:

1.Shaka Smart, VCU head coach

2.Brad Stevens, Butler head coach

3.Steve Alford, New Mexico head coach

The way I read this is they will try to get the big splash coach to put butts in the seats & energize the fan base. A guy that will be able to recruit nationally. So that means it's going to be a big name or a very hot commodity that is well known nationally with a lot of recruiting ties. I think that narrows this list down a bit.

If they can get the candidate to visit Lincoln then I think we have a good shot.

http://my.journalsta...votal_hire.html