Abdullah eager to make a sophomore jump

4f681cfb329ec.preview-300.jpg

Abdullah eager to make a sophomore jump

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 11:45 pm

<snip>

Husker coach Bo Pelini and offensive coordinator Tim Beck have both said they'd like to get the two running backs more touches in 2012. Rex Burkhead carried the ball 284 times last year, Abdullah 42, Heard 25 and Green 24. But with Heard switching positions, and coaches talking about lessening the load on Burkhead when they can, Abdullah and Green figure to get more opportunities as sophomores.

"They were thrown in as true freshmen into a role that they were learning what to do and playing off of instincts and those things," Pelini said. "Now they have a chance to refine what they know with another year in the system.

LINK

After the way he burst onto the scene as a true frosh, I can't wait to see what Abdullah does as a soph.

ball security could be an issue, i would rather see this guy getting the ball more often out in space, rather than running so much from the backfield where linemen and LB's have a better opportunity to jare the ball loose.........one on one in a semi open field would be huge for this kid..........

Ball security? I can only recall one muffed punt and one fumble when he was in at RB... Am I missing a couple?...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. In fact I tried to look it up just now but couldn't find a place where we track that stat.

Ball security? I can only recall one muffed punt and one fumble when he was in at RB... Am I missing a couple?...

I think so. I'll see if I can find some numbers.

Edit: Really hard to find fumble numbers. I wonder why that stat isn't tracked as closely? I remember one fumble against Washington, USC, and Wyoming. There are others.