Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

Is following someone a crime?

Could be. Stalking is a crime. Harassment is a crime. And given that police dispatch told him not to follow Martin, it could potentially cross into that territory. Regardless, that's not the point of the discussion at the moment. husker_99 seems to think that Zimmerman didn't follow Martin at all. Which is quite obviously wrong.

no one said gz committed a crime. i think everyone here agrees with the jury. however, he showed bad judgment that lead to a death. it is an unfortunate situation and it is hard not to see that gz at least demonstrated contributory negligence. we will see how the civil trial goes.

no one said gz committed a crime. i think everyone here agrees with the jury. however, he showed bad judgment that lead to a death. it is an unfortunate situation and it is hard not to see that gz at least demonstrated contributory negligence. we will see how the civil trial goes.

Oh...I agree.

I have said from the beginning that a gun in the hands of someone in this situation is a bad thing. An untrained person in this situation is going to make mistakes and it seems like the jury is correct but the entire issue could have been avoided.

a) Don't have a gun.

b) Stay in your vehicle and simply call the police if you see something suspicious.

Oh...I agree.

I have said from the beginning that a gun in the hands of someone in this situation is a bad thing. An untrained person in this situation is going to make mistakes and it seems like the jury is correct but the entire issue could have been avoided.

a) Don't have a gun.

b) Stay in your vehicle and simply call the police if you see something suspicious.

absolutely. i do not not necessarily think people should not be able to conceal and carry, but that is an awesome responsibility. maybe if this particular person did not have a gun, he would not have been emboldened to get out of his vehicle. not to mention, he had a criminal history that makes me believe he should have not been allowed to possess firearms.

i think this is a pretty good and fair rundown:

The 6 Decisions That Could Have Saved Trayvon Martin's Life

i think what is so upsetting is that this was a very avoidable death, and the guy with a gun had the last, best chance to avoid the altercation.

Oh...I agree.

a) Don't have a gun.

absolutely. i do not not necessarily think people should not be able to conceal and carry, but that is an awesome responsibility. maybe if this particular person did not have a gun, he would not have been emboldened to get out of his vehicle. not to mention, he had a criminal history that makes me believe he should have not been allowed to possess firearms.

i think this is a pretty good and fair rundown:

The 6 Decisions That Could Have Saved Trayvon Martin's Life

i think what is so upsetting is that this was a very avoidable death, and the guy with a gun had the last, best chance to avoid the altercation.

lol that's not bias at all. :sarcasm None of them say what if Martin just kept walking home instead of approaching a truck parked on the road? You know mind your own business?

lol that's not bias at all. :sarcasm None of them say what if Martin just kept walking home instead of approaching a truck parked on the road? You know mind your own business?

Of course, there's a seventh decision that could have been made that night --Trayvon Martin could have chosen to not defend himself.

It's important to note that the jury's verdict sends a message to anyone confronted or pursued by another man: If you engage the confrontation, even an act of self defense could be used as justification to shoot and kill you. What led up to the confrontation in the Martin-Zimmerman case was ruled irrelevant; only Zimmerman's state of mind at the time he shot him was to be taken into account by the jury. That doesn't leave someone being followed through their neighborhood many options other than fighting back.

a person that is defending a want-to-be cop on a neighborhood watch is lamenting that someone did not just 'mind your own business'. why did gz not just mind his own business? oh, because he had a gun and did not have to. i am waiting for the nra to call for young, black men to arm themselves.

a person that is defending a want-to-be cop on a neighborhood watch is lamenting that someone did not just 'mind your own business'. why did gz not just mind his own business? oh, because he had a gun and did not have to. i am waiting for the nra to call for young, black men to arm themselves.

had zimmerman not been approached he probably would've have. He didn't know why Martin was approaching his truck. Martin could've been armed for all Zimmerman knew. oh by the way at the time Martin was high and if he knew where he lived why was he looking around at houses like he didn't know where he lived?

Of course, there's a seventh decision that could have been made that night --Trayvon Martin could have chosen to not defend himself.

It's important to note that the jury's verdict sends a message to anyone confronted or pursued by another man: If you engage the confrontation, even an act of self defense could be used as justification to shoot and kill you. What led up to the confrontation in the Martin-Zimmerman case was ruled irrelevant; only Zimmerman's state of mind at the time he shot him was to be taken into account by the jury. That doesn't leave someone being followed through their neighborhood many options other than fighting back.

and what exactly would trayvon be defending himself from? zimmerman had stopped chasing him.

had zimmerman not been approached he probably would've have. He didn't know why Martin was approaching his truck. Martin could've been armed for all Zimmerman knew. oh by the way at the time Martin was high and if he knew where he lived why was he looking around at houses like he didn't know where he lived?

If he was so concerned about Martin being armed, how come he still had his gun concealed? I mean honestly, if you can't acknowledge the facts of the case then there is really nothing more to discuss. You can't have a rational discussion with someone who refuses to concede a simple, undisputed fact like Zimmerman followed Martin. Your ardent support of Zimmerman is nothing short of shocking and odd.

and what exactly would trayvon be defending himself from? zimmerman had stopped chasing him.

if someone chases you and you feel threatened, you do not have to flee. you can defend yourself. remember?

If he was so concerned about Martin being armed, how come he still had his gun concealed? I mean honestly, if you can't acknowledge the facts of the case then there is really nothing more to discuss. You can't have a rational discussion with someone who refuses to concede a simple, undisputed fact like Zimmerman followed Martin. Your ardent support of Zimmerman is nothing short of shocking and odd.

no i am a supporter of people defending their self. you are an ardent supporter of Martin even though everything suggests Martin was the aggressor. Just because you are a gun carrier doesn't mean you take out your gun at first glance. Zimmerman only took out his gun when he was getting his head bashed. This alone tells me his first intent was never to shoot Martin. I am one of the few that see all through the lies and bullsh#t that Martin supporters say. It seems you just support Martin cause he was a kid. Zimmerman did follow Martin and he stopped when the police dispatcher told him they didn't need him to follow Martin. This is on every transcript and you can even hear on the audio version Zimmerman quit following Martin. Why can you not understand this?