Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

http://www.theroot.com/views/killing-self-defense-you-better-be-white

A 2012 study by PBS's Frontline is getting a secondlook post-Zimmerman's exoneration, and it reveals that if you're going to kill in self-defense in America, you'd better be white. By analyzing data from a study by John Roman, senior analyst at the Urban Institute's Justice Policy Center, Frontline found that in "Stand your ground" states, white people who kill black people are 354 percent more likely to be found justified in their killings. And it doesn't get much better in non-"Stand your ground" states, where that number goes down only to 250 percent.

http://www.theroot.c...better-be-white

A 2012 study by PBS's Frontline is getting a secondlook post-Zimmerman's exoneration, and it reveals that if you're going to kill in self-defense in America, you'd better be white. By analyzing data from a study by John Roman, senior analyst at the Urban Institute's Justice Policy Center, Frontline found that in "Stand your ground" states, white people who kill black people are 354 percent more likely to be found justified in their killings. And it doesn't get much better in non-"Stand your ground" states, where that number goes down only to 250 percent.

From the same article:

So the disparity is clear. But the figures don't yet prove bias. As Roman points out, the data doesn't show the circumstances behind the killings, for example whether the people who were shot were involved in home invasions or in a confrontation on the street.

What a weird footnote to the George Zimmerman saga:

George Zimmerman Emerged From Hiding for Truck Crash Rescue

George Zimmerman, who has been in hiding since he was acquitted of murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, emerged to help rescue someone who was trapped in an overturned truck, police said today.

Sanford Police Department Capt. Jim McAuliffe told ABC News that Zimmerman "pulled an individual from a truck that had rolled over" at the intersection of a Florida highway last week. Florida Highway Patrol is now handling the case, McAuliffe said.

The crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and route 417, police said. The crash site is less than a mile from where he shot Martin.

George Zimmerman, who has been in hiding since he was acquitted of murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, emerged to help rescue someone who was trapped in an overturned truck, police said today.

Sanford Police Department Capt. Jim McAuliffe told ABC News that Zimmerman "pulled an individual from a truck that had rolled over" at the intersection of a Florida highway last week. Florida Highway Patrol is now handling the case, McAuliffe said.

The crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and route 417, police said. The crash site is less than a mile from where he shot Martin.

Government set up to help restore his image.

What a thug.

So i guess this makes him even for defending himself against a wanna be thug.

good people can do bad things just as bad people can do good things. i am not saying gz is a good person or bad person, but what he did to martin was bad.

wow so defending oneself is bad?

ENOUGH of trying to assign a persona to Trayvon Martin. ENOUGH!

This creating false stories about Trayvon Martin in order to find a way to justify Zimmerman killing him when the choice to not shoot him was beyond apparent has to stop. It's not doing anything to help console his family, regardless of whether or not Trayvon wasn't living up to society's standards--whatever that means.

But to illustrate how stupid this characterizing a person to fit your justification, I'll throw this out here:

An American citizen at the age of 20 was arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct when he stole a Christmas wreath from a shop. So that's underage drinking and disorderly conduct. This same person, at 26 years old, took his 16 year old brother for a night of drinking. What did people call him? Did they call him scum, a criminal, an immoral person?

Well, America ended up calling him President George W. Bush.

good people can do bad things just as bad people can do good things. i am not saying gz is a good person or bad person, but what he did to martin was bad.

Defending oneself with excessive force--I'll leave that up to your interpretation as it is probably MUCH different than mine--is bad.

an avoidable death occurred. gz had the best chance to avoid the altercation that resulted in the death of a teen. he exercised bad judgment. if you do not think that is 'bad', there is really no reason to continue this conversation.

• Fire 2