Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

I don't and wouldn't carry a gun. I probably would not have called the police on some random person walking in the first place, and if I did, I certainly would not have left my car. So your hypothetical questions would never have taken place for me. The end.

BTW - bash is a strong word in light of the medical examiner's testimony that the injuries were "insignificant". Unless there is a reason you believe the defense forensic witness and not the prosecution's.

this is the craziest part. he, himself, thought martin was 'suspicious'. a reasonable person does not leave their car to approach someone who is 'suspicious'. you stay where you are safe and wait for the proper authorities to arrive.

not always. some people have the courage to do things other people wouldn't. you know like cops.

exactly, bro. those people also have the proper training and can call for backup so they limit, if not completely mitigate, the need for lethal force.

just because he wasn't a cop doesn't mean he can't stop a situation.

No Martin has a right to self defense but when you run away and then come back that is no longer self defense. Whether or not Zimmerman had a gun or not doesn't matter. If Zimmerman didn't have a gun and couldn't stop Martin from bashing his head in and killed Zimmerman that's not justified.

Everything after "Martin has a right to self defense" is wrong. Under Florida law, Martin has a right to confront his pursuer, and we know Zimmerman pursued Martin based on the 911 call. Martin does not have to flee the area under Stand Your Ground. And if there's a confrontation Martin is justified - under Florida law - for defending himself.

But you're saying he doesn't have the same right to use deadly force as Zimmerman. Who's being biased now?

So now you are saying that all laws are right? Yes i know under Florida law you are allowed to flee, go grab a gun, and kill that person. In no way shape or form is that self defense. If anything that's premediated murder. When you are no longer in danger it no longer becomes self defense unless they threatened to kill your family.

Youre arguing with people who are saying that Zimmerman was armed and who intended to kill an unarmed Martin

They can't prove Zimmerman was going to kill Martin. There is nothing that points to that. If Zimmerman was going to kill Martin he would've just gotten out of his truck when he first saw him and shot him. there never would've been a fight.

Youre arguing with people who are saying that Zimmerman was armed and who intended to kill an unarmed Martin

Nobody here is saying Zimmerman intended to kill Martin. That's a huge error in understanding the arguments being presented in this thread.

LOL if anything you, junior, knapplc, sd'sker are taking the side of Martin even though all the evidence backs up Zimmerman and you are allowing your feelings of an unarmed kid get in the way.

:confucius

You've got to be trolling.

If anything you are the one trolling, bro. sounds like you didn't even follow the case.

LOL if anything you, junior, knapplc, sd'sker are taking the side of Martin even though all the evidence backs up Zimmerman and you are allowing your feelings of an unarmed kid get in the way.

the only reason this interests me because anyway you slice it this was a completely avoidable death. i do not know what possessed zimmerman to act the way that he did, but i do not want to live in a world with so much suspicion, distrust, and fear. zimmerman apparently did have every right to do what he did, and that makes me uncomfortable. just as the fact that he felt he needed to patrol his neighborhood armed. zimmerman also had the last best chance to prevent this and he did not. why would i defend him? and i am not defending martin, i am just critical of zimmerman's attitude and actions.

Martin was walking through the neighborhood = not illegal.

Martin stopped and approached a truck = not illegal

Zimmerman got out of truck with a gun and followed Martin = not illegal but stupid

Martin fled but then came back to confront Zimmerman = Not illegal but stupid

Some how , Martin ended up on top of Zimmerman bashing his head into the ground. THAT is illegal unless Zimmerman some how attacked Martin first. I have never seen evidence that Zimmerman did.

Zimmerman pulls trigger and kills Martin. If Zimmerman didn't attack first, he has every right to defend himself from someone who attacked him.

If there is proof Zimmerman attacked first, then the guy should be in prison. I haven't seen it.

the only reason this interests me because anyway you slice it this was a completely avoidable death. i do not know what possessed zimmerman to act the way that he did, but i do not want to live in a world with so much suspicion, distrust, and fear. zimmerman apparently did have every right to do what he did, and that makes me uncomfortable. just as the fact that he felt he needed to patrol his neighborhood armed. zimmerman also had the last best chance to prevent this and he did not. why would i defend him? and i am not defending martin, i am just critical of zimmerman's attitude and actions.

tom-crabtree-how-cool-would-it-be-to-live-in-a-world-where-george-zimmerman-offered-trayvon-martin-a-ride-home-to-get-him-out-of-the-rain-that-night1.jpg?w=630&h=406

• Fire 4

all i can say to that is when you are in certain situations you let the heat of the moment take over. it happens. not everything can be clear headed. the fact that this case got so much attention is a shame of itself cause it has caused us to divide and let people's emotion take over because a 17 year old kid was shot.

Zimmerman got out of truck with a gun and followed Martin = not illegal but stupid

Some how , Martin ended up on top of Zimmerman bashing his head into the ground. THAT is illegal unless Zimmerman some how attacked Martin first. I have never seen evidence that Zimmerman did.

Zimmerman pulls trigger and kills Martin. If Zimmerman didn't attack first, he has every right to defend himself from someone who attacked him.

If there is proof Zimmerman attacked first, then the guy should be in prison. I haven't seen it.

Not illegal under Florida's Stand Your Ground law. If Martin "felt threatened" by Zimmerman, Martin has a right to defend himself. Zimmerman following Martin is enough for Martin to "feel threatened" by Zimmerman under Florida law.

all i can say to that is when you are in certain situations you let the heat of the moment take over. it happens. not everything can be clear headed. the fact that this case got so much attention is a shame of itself cause it has caused us to divide and let people's emotion take over because a 17 year old kid was shot.

Yea... it's a shame that people are upset that an unarmed 17 year old kid walking home from a 7-11 is dead.

• Fire 2

tom-crabtree-how-cool-would-it-be-to-live-in-a-world-where-george-zimmerman-offered-trayvon-martin-a-ride-home-to-get-him-out-of-the-rain-that-night1.jpg?w=630&h=406

Yes that would be cool but unfortuantely we live in a society where you can't trust a stranger as much or at all.

Yea... it's a shame that people are upset that an unarmed 17 year old kid walking home from a 7-11 is dead.

kids get shot daily and we don't hear about it on the news. Why is this one more important than those others?

Not illegal under Florida's Stand Your Ground law. If Martin "felt threatened" by Zimmerman, Martin has a right to defend himself. Zimmerman following Martin is enough for Martin to "feel threatened" by Zimmerman under Florida law.

Well then, Florida better not have any neighborhood watch programs if it is fine if the suspicious person violently attacks a neighborhood watch guy simply following a strange person in the neighborhood.

Well then, Florida better not have any neighborhood watch programs if it is fine if the suspicious person violently attacks a neighborhood watch guy simply following a strange person in the neighborhood.

Agreed, and that's exactly why the law is so controversial. It's a stupid law, and it's led to a lot of deaths.

• Fire 1