HuffPost Editorial - Nebraska: Fire Assistant Football Coach Ron Brown

I don't think it matters in the least what Bible verse(s) he uses for rationalizing his opinion or which parts of the Bible he ignores in the process. The fact of the matter is that he is entitled to have an opinion and to make it known to any group he chooses to speak to. As long as he is clear it his thoughts alone and that he is not officially representing the University. Someone mentioned earlier that it "might" be a problem if you were a homosexual player on the team. I think that is a non-issue until such time there is an actual problem. Knowing what I do about Mr. Brown, I can't believe he would ever let a situation like that cause a problem. He may claim it is a sin but I'm sure he would also acknowledge that he himself is also a sinner and it is not his job to judge anyone. Pointing out actions that you believe to be sinful does not equate to judging the sinner, IMO.

As usual, it's not words, but actions that carry weight. If Coach Brown is approaching players and attempting to intimidate them into thinking what he does, he should be fired. And if that was going on, he would have been fired long ago. I really feel that Coach Brown is, overall, a great person and role model, even if you don't agree with his religion, or even if you are not religious in the least, i.e. a complete atheist. I don't think he would make a habit of ramming his beliefs at players in a classroom or on the field. If a player comes to Coach Brown in confidence and wants to talk about faith or Christianity, then that would be a different issue. Then again, I don't think a gay person is going to start a conversation like that with Brown. Just saying.

This isn't a directed response at the poster, i'm just expanding on the bold. They do an end game prayer after every game. You see some of the players go into the locker room, and some stay. Brown isn't forcing his beliefs on anyone.

As usual, it's not words, but actions that carry weight. If Coach Brown is approaching players and attempting to intimidate them into thinking what he does, he should be fired. And if that was going on, he would have been fired long ago. I really feel that Coach Brown is, overall, a great person and role model, even if you don't agree with his religion, or even if you are not religious in the least, i.e. a complete atheist. I don't think he would make a habit of ramming his beliefs at players in a classroom or on the field. If a player comes to Coach Brown in confidence and wants to talk about faith or Christianity, then that would be a different issue. Then again, I don't think a gay person is going to start a conversation like that with Brown. Just saying.

This isn't a directed response at the poster, i'm just expanding on the bold. They do an end game prayer after every game. You see some of the players go into the locker room, and some stay. Brown isn't forcing his beliefs on anyone.

He said himself he'd force is beliefs on a gay player. Just as he would with any other player who "sins".

I have no doubt that Ron Brown truly cares for all his players and has good intentions, but reading some more of his quotes I have questions about the wisdom of keeping him around. I found the most disturbing quote to be:

"If the ACLU in Nebraska seeks to slowly suppress the gospel message right out of where our kids spend most of their day, a school ... is that any less of a sin than what may have happened at Penn State?"

If I know that Nebraska employs a coach who believes that not allowing religious teaching in schools is in any way comparable to child molestation, there is no way I send my kid to Nebraska to play football. I doubt I'm alone in that opinion. I'd hate to see him go from a football perspective, but I absolutely disagree with his opinions and I find it difficult to believe he can keep his personal beliefs separated from his duties as an employee of the University of Nebraska.

He said himself he'd force is beliefs on a gay player. Just as he would with any other player who "sins".

I would love to see the link where he said this. I've heard him several times and haven't heard anything even remotely close to this statement. I could understand if he said this "tongue in cheek". RB would never make that statement in a serious discussion.

I would love to see the link where he said this. I've heard him several times and haven't heard anything even remotely close to this statement. I could understand if he said this "tongue in cheek". RB would never make that statement in a serious discussion.

The link is provided in the original post.

"You put your arms around that person struggling with homosexuality and you help walk him or her to the truth of Jesus Christ, just as you would any other player involved in any other sin."

I've got way too much on my plate to worry about 2 men or 2 women getting married., Live and let live.

As for abortion, I don't like it and especially if its being used as a means of birth control. Condoms are available on almost every street corner, use your common sense and use one.

T_O_B

"You put your arms around that person struggling with homosexuality and you help walk him or her to the truth of Jesus Christ, just as you would any other player involved in any other sin."

That quote is quite concerning and if he ever confronted a player about his sexuality he should be fired.

Landlord...those videos look like they were shot in the 1980's.

Just figured they were moderately relevant was all.

haha no they are, I just wanted to get that out there...they remind me of old 1980's late night news clips.