DiNardo tweet about Burkhead

Rex being touted for Hypsman shows just how low the program has fallen. He is not even a top 50 back, a very small chance at playing at the next level, other than a scout team type player. He is a great kid, with sligtly above average skills and a team that will rank between 25-30 this year. No chance, and should not even be considered. Our talent level is stated by Rex, more over achiever than true National talent. close but no banana

Maybe, but the Heisman is based on a lot of statistics...and pre-season hype is primarily based on the prior year. There are a dozen running backs returning that racked up more yards than Rex. If you go by YPC he didn't even finish in the top 100 rushers last year.

Rex is by far my favorite Husker - but at this point I don't think he deserves to be in the discussion averaging 104 yards a game. He's consistent and reliable, but he's never really ever taken over a game. A Heisman candidate does that 3-4 times a season...minimum.

1. I counted 65 running backs who had a higher per carry average than Rex did which definitely puts him in the "top 100".

2. Rex averaged 104.38 yards per game last season which according to the NCAA was good enough for 19th nationally.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&rpt=IA_playerrush&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

You know if Rex is your favorite player then wouldn't it stand to reason for you to do some actual research to see if what you say is true before you post it?

:dunno

Personally, I don't think he's a Heisman guy. (big breakaway threat/flash)

I think he is more of a MVP guy. Guess it depends on your definition.

I tend to agree with this. He's definitely the MVP of the Nebraska offense but he's not really a Heisman guy. Here's my short list of Heisman candidates:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Tyron Matthieu, CB, LSU

Marquise Lee, WR, USC

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Rex being touted for Hypsman shows just how low the program has fallen. He is not even a top 50 back, a very small chance at playing at the next level, other than a scout team type player. He is a great kid, with sligtly above average skills and a team that will rank between 25-30 this year. No chance, and should not even be considered. Our talent level is stated by Rex, more over achiever than true National talent. close but no banana

Say it ain't so Joe........

^ I guess I see taking a game over as Helu did the Missouri game a couple years ago, or Martinez did the K-State/Washington game that same year. Those 2 performances are what got Martinez the Heisman hype, and that 1 performance is what got Helu and extra couple million from the Skins.

Rex is a great player, and he might do a lot with less...but the Heisman isn't about picking the best player on the worst team - it's about picking the best (most flashy/dominating/visible/etc) running back or quarterback for a highly ranked team. Unfortunately Rex isn't flashy, he doesn't regularly dominate in a way that would showcase himself - he just pounds you for 134 yards on 35 carries (michigan state), he isn't that visible because he plays for a Nebraska team that is ranked at the bottom of the top 25, and to finish off his hopes we aren't going to be winning the MNC next year - and likely won't be playing in a BCS game.

if Rex wants the Heisman - he'd better put up 2,000+, and find the endzone 30+ times keeping his carries around 300. i'd love to see it, but I'm not counting on it. he has to share 1000 yards with the QB, and likely another 500-800 with the sophomore duo.

again I agree with him not being in the heisman chatter... but he has taken over games.... just in a different way. rex is a running back that wears teams down. think about how many games we have had the lead and were running out the clock... the other team knew what was coming and couldnt stop it. the game was on the line and rex totally put the team on his back(see ohio state this year)

Say what? I tell you, some of our fans. :facepalm:

Say what? I tell you, some of our fans. :facepalm:

Danny Woodhead?

Double facepalm. :facepalm:

Burkhead needs to be a threat to take it to the house on any given play to really be a true Heisman contender. He reads holes well, has pretty good moves and acceleration, but he doesn't have closing speed. That's what separates him from the best backs in the nation.

Although he's very good, he needs to be the kind of back who gets 200 yards on 20-25 carries, more-so than the back who gets 125 yards on 35 carries.

Everybody here is talking about Rex as an individual, but the Heisman is a team award. If Nebraska goes undefeated, we're pretty likely to have an offensive playmaker in the conversation - either Rex or T-Mart. If we've lost two or more games by that time, I highly doubt that Rex would have put together the kind of individual season that he'd need to get mentioned. The guys that aren't playing on top 5 teams who still get invited usually have pretty incredible seasons - think RGIII or Suh.

He is not Danny Woodhead.

A lot of us had the same comments about Pork Chop, I truly thought he would make it. I see Rex a lot like Cory, who still is my favorite Husker, and Rex is rigth there, but he is not a Hypsman player, will not get any push, as it is required by the University. We seldom promote and it takes heavy promotion.

Fans stating what they believe makes them no less fans, less fanatical possilby. Every year we go through this, hope eternal. For once I would like to see it actually happen, we actually make an improvement, we actually win a game that matters at the end of season, before I see the face palms. Face plants seem to indicate that you know far less than you think you, or at least it has been proven on this board over and over. So face plant away. In the end we will be a 9-4 team, no CCG, no BCS game and no Hypsman. Reality, hard and cold.

My projections of where we have ended up over the last 10 years have been far closer than the majority on here that still see us winning MNC and CCG. We are still a long away from winning anything and players the level of Rex is one of the reasons. We do not get the top running backs, QB's, Dlinemen, Olinemen nor do we get a coaching staff that can produce. If we truly had a Hypsman running back on the roster we might have a shot, but Rex is as close as we get. I think he does all he can do, a step or two more, but there are many running backs out there ahead of him and numerous QB's. Latimore will be the odds on favorite for RB is my guess.