Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

Adidas really had their hands tied on this one guys.... remember TO was shown some examples they came up with when news first leaked that we were going to be wearing ALTS, and TO turned them down for being too outlandish.....

Im willing to bet that fans on both sides would have liked the ones TO turned down more than the ones we got

Maybe, but I'm willing to bet that the majority of fans would prefer the actual uniforms to any of Adidas' ideas.

Adidas really had their hands tied on this one guys.... remember TO was shown some examples they came up with when news first leaked that we were going to be wearing ALTS, and TO turned them down for being too outlandish.....

Im willing to bet that fans on both sides would have liked the ones TO turned down more than the ones we got

Thats not fair. Dr. Tom's revere for tradition should not suggest poor taste.

TO must've really tied Adidas' hands on those Michigan uni's also then... because they are sibilings.

209691d1343598168-motogp-round-10-laguna-seca-07-29-2012-spoilers-boo_this_man.gif

I really liked when Michigan wore this uniform style. I'm not sure if It is just the color scheme but thse two are just not as cool. The throwbacks we wore for the 300th sellout were perfect. That's exactly what youre looking for whena team with traditional uniforms is in the market for some alternates. I like that Adidas is trying, but jeez. I vote for Nike. Look at what they did for ohio st, Oklahoma, and texas etc.

• Fire 1

If that style was designed for Michigan's throwbacks, then why did they incorporate that design in our uniforms? Expect to see UCLA and Tennessee to pop out with similar unis by next year. Despite the complete lack of creativity, the all red/black scheme is too much. Why does everyone love our uniforms so much? Because the contrast in color between the scarlet and cream is fantastic. It's two-toned and simple. Red and black?!? There is zero color contrast. It looks gaudy on the video and may look even worse on the field. I realize I am kind of going off about the uniforms, which Is silly, but I'm almost embarrassed because outside of Nebraska and Wisconsin's fan bases, everyone is laughing at what we came up with and It's going to be worse on national television.

With that said, I don't want Nike for the swoosh on the gear or for pro combats. But from a performance standpoint, Nike, and I would even argue Under Armour in specific areas, are miles above adidas, reebok etc. Nebraska has always held itself to the highest standard in collegiate athletics. It's evident by the trophies, fan base expectations, and the millions of dollars we are pumping into state of the art facilities. So why should we settle for second rate gear? What we wear is really not Important at all in the grand scheme of things, but I just do not understand why everyone defends Adidas so vigorously.

They took Nebraska's iconic "simple N" and applied it to Wisconsin.

I noticed that too.

It's actually a take on one of thier earliest helmet designs. If anything it's supposed to be a throwback look for them.

Wisconsin_OLD5.gif

* That is a "W" at the front of the helmet; a similar red "W" was present at the back of this helmet design. This design was resurrected for Wisconsin's first game of the 2005 season, a home game against Bowling Green. - The helmet project

52509_b_634786638152840249.jpg

If that style was designed for Michigan's throwbacks, then why did they incorporate that design in our uniforms? Expect to see UCLA and Tennessee to pop out with similar unis by next year. Despite the complete lack of creativity, the all red/black scheme is too much. Why does everyone love our uniforms so much? Because the contrast in color between the scarlet and cream is fantastic. It's two-toned and simple. Red and black?!? There is zero color contrast. It looks gaudy on the video and may look even worse on the field. I realize I am kind of going off about the uniforms, which Is silly, but I'm almost embarrassed because outside of Nebraska and Wisconsin's fan bases, everyone is laughing at what we came up with and It's going to be worse on national television.

With that said, I don't want Nike for the swoosh on the gear or for pro combats. But from a performance standpoint, Nike, and I would even argue Under Armour in specific areas, are miles above adidas, reebok etc. Nebraska has always held itself to the highest standard in collegiate athletics. It's evident by the trophies, fan base expectations, and the millions of dollars we are pumping into state of the art facilities. So why should we settle for second rate gear? What we wear is really not Important at all in the grand scheme of things, but I just do not understand why everyone defends Adidas so vigorously.

Let's not over-react now. First off, with heavy sarcasm, uh, there is color contrast between red and black, otherwise you wouldn't be able to discern the two colors. Is there lesser contrast compared to red and white? Yes.

Second. Most likely the design Nebraska accepted was not what was proposed to them. Remember, adidas approached Nebraska, not the other way around. So what likely happened is that adidas said "check this out" and the ultra-conservatives in the athletic department said, "ya know, we weren't thinking about changing our uniforms but since you are pressuring us, we liked the Michigan look. What can you do with that for us?

Third. adidas has always been one of the more conservative clothing design companies. Anyone who complains that "they could have done more" either needs to be more specific about what "more" actually is or stop thinking adidas would Nike-ify Nebraska. They go out on a limb sometimes but far less than others do. Everyone just needed to check their expectations at the door because they thought Nike without realizing adidas.

I tried to point this out with posts showing updated looks to Texas A&M (amongst others) and noted that most likely there would be a black helmet amongst significant black replacement of white and some other subtle piping or stripes changes. I sorta got laughed off the board while others pretty much said "I hope they aren't that basic/boring". And thats what we got. I am not saying I predicted the outcome, just saying that I was trying to reign in people's expectations.

People don't like the uni's for other reasons but it seems the main message I am receiving (through many outlets) is that they could have "done more". So if i went a bit off in the wrong direction, that is my motive/angle. And frankly, as I have said before, I am confused as to why such an ultra-conservative population is so pissed at adidas, while requesting Nike. If people are flipping about this small of a change from adidas, I can only imagine the "world is coming to an end" mindset had Nike been the design team.

A switch to nike means nothing other than there would be a swoosh instead of an adidas symbol. Our home/away uniforms could go unchanged. I do think Nike apparel is more readily available when it comes to the consumer sector. I think Nike would have executed an alternate better than what we got. They have proven that they are willing to do alternates that aren't outlandish, so I dont know why people think that a switch to Nike would mean a clown suit.

52509_b_634786638152840249.jpg

Here is an image that I colorized for the Uni-Watch guys, that sorta shows that helmet in action.

7734263960_803d793793.jpg

bigger version here.

A switch to nike means nothing other than there would be a swoosh instead of an adidas symbol. Our home/away uniforms could go unchanged. I do think Nike apparel is more readily available when it comes to the consumer sector. I think Nike would have executed an alternate better than what we got. They have proven that they are willing to do alternates that aren't outlandish, so I dont know why people think that a switch to Nike would mean a clown suit.

I should clarify that I am not necessarily implying "clown suit", only that they do tend to take more risks* in the eyes of the typical Nebraskan. I like many of Nike's designs and agree that Big Red might have gotten a cleaner design from Nike.

* Some risks being: bolder colors (some that may not actually be true school colors which around here is an abomination), adding stitching patterns and textures that add form and function, interesting stripes, piping, angles, carbon fiber patterns, chrome, things that really make uniforms "fashionable" and not just "functional", which goes against the blue collar nature of the conservative Nebraskan style.

They took Nebraska's iconic "simple N" and applied it to Wisconsin.

I noticed that too.

The "W" on the Badgers' alternate helmet is not a copy or variation of Nebraska's design. It bears a strong resemblance to past "W's." Like Bob and Ice pointed out it's similar to these,

wiscon2005c.jpg

but more like this,

wiscon2005z1.jpg

It's all part of the slow evolution of the Motion W. The W started out in front then moved to the sides and slowly grew larger and sweptback. I guess you can say its kind of a throwback because, though we've never worn white on cardinal, if you were to swap the colors it'd be a vintage helmet as the size, font and positioning are similar to the helmets of old.