Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

Look on the bright side everyone, I think with the very mixed to slightly negative leaning reaction to these alternate uniforms, I think it is fair to say that it will be a VERY LONG TIME before Nebraska ventures down this road again.

Nebraska doesn't need gimmicks like this. When did "tradition" become a bad thing? Oregon did their whole uniform craze because their program needed an identity. Other programs needing an identity followed Oregon's lead, and it has just snowballed over the last 5 years with some outlandish looking uniforms.

Nebraska doesn't need a new identity. We've had one for over 50 years. Need a reminder...see below.

THIS IS NEBRASKA:

tommiefrazier1.jpg

OTNINPXNRTICNFM.20090831210114.jpg

NE3-Final-Oil.jpg

Tom-Osborne-Bio.jpg

106597163_display_image.jpg?1311591801

I think the players understand that tradition. Tradition doesn't live in the jerseys, pants, cleats, or helmets. Tradition lives in the name of the university.

When players are coming to Nebraska, they understand that they are following in the footsteps of greats like Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, Tommy Frazier, Cory Schlesinger, Scott Frost, Barrett Ruud, Lawrence Phillips, Dean Steinkuhler, Will Shields, Turner Gill, Grant Wistrom, Eric Crouch, Ahman Green, and more recently, Ndamukong Suh.

When players are coming to Nebraska, they understand they are coming to the #4 school all-time in wins. Home to 5 national championships and two legendary coaches, one of whom is the current athletic director.

When players come to Nebraska, they understand that they are going to be playing 6-7 games a season in front of a sold out crowd, which has sold out for the past 318 games. They understand that they'll be playing for a school who has traditions with the Big 8, the Big XII, and who is currently building traditions with the tradition-rich schools of the Big Ten.

That is our tradition--tradition isn't embodied in a uniform. The players don't need something as petty as the same uniform for 50 years to remind them of tradition. They already know what Nebraska is really about.

I agree with you to a point, and I also disagree to a certain extent.

I agree with you that tradition is in the name of the university. I agree that the players understand the tradition here at Nebraska. I agree that the players know about the other great players and coaches who have come before them here at The University of Nebraska. I agree they know about being #4 in all time wins, the 5 National Championships, and the 3 Heisman Trophy Winners. I also agree that for the most part that tradition doesn't live in the jerseys, pants, and cleats. Heck Nebraska is always tweaking the look of their jerseys each season. But I would argue that the basic look of Nebraska's football team has stayed consistently the same.

I do disagree about the helmets. Over the decades for the most part the essence of college football comes down to a few key areas. They would be; Wins & losses, a teams style of play, iconic universities and or iconic coaches. But college football is also about imagery, and this is where the helmets come into the discussion. Teams that have won at a high level and on a consistent basis over the decades that have also stayed consistent with their on field look is a part of college football tradition, which in turn makes it a part of that university's tradition. Universities as an example would include:

NEBRASKA, MICHIGAN, NOTRE DAME, USC, and Oklahoma.

These helmets have mostly stayed the same with the exception being Notre Dame and Michigan who had alternate helmets last season. So I will concede that jerseys for the most part are not a major factor when it comes to a university's tradition, but I stand by my opinion that for certain universities the helmet and it's design absolutely are a part of that school's tradition.

Is Nebraska's new alternate uniforms my personal favorite? No, but it's only for one game, and if the players are happy with them fine. And as long as Nebraska comes away with a win against Wisconsin that is all that should matter.

So I'm ok with the alternate uniform thing. I'd be ok if the jerseys and or pants were black, but I truly believe they should have left the helmet untouched.

I appreciate your comments, your opinion, and the friendly discussion. :cheers

I'm not saying my opinion on this subject is right or that your's or someone else's is wrong. Honestly, at the end of the day I think this forum is very beneficial to the whole Husker fan base to really get a solid read on what other Nebraska fans opinions truly are on the whole uniform topic.

Look on the bright side everyone, I think with the very mixed to slightly negative leaning reaction to these alternate uniforms, I think it is fair to say that it will be a VERY LONG TIME before Nebraska ventures down this road again.

Nebraska doesn't need gimmicks like this. When did "tradition" become a bad thing? Oregon did their whole uniform craze because their program needed an identity. Other programs needing an identity followed Oregon's lead, and it has just snowballed over the last 5 years with some outlandish looking uniforms.

Nebraska doesn't need a new identity. We've had one for over 50 years. Need a reminder...see below.

THIS IS NEBRASKA:

tommiefrazier1.jpg

OTNINPXNRTICNFM.20090831210114.jpg

NE3-Final-Oil.jpg

Tom-Osborne-Bio.jpg

106597163_display_image.jpg?1311591801

I think the players understand that tradition. Tradition doesn't live in the jerseys, pants, cleats, or helmets. Tradition lives in the name of the university.

When players are coming to Nebraska, they understand that they are following in the footsteps of greats like Johnny Rodgers, Mike Rozier, Tommy Frazier, Cory Schlesinger, Scott Frost, Barrett Ruud, Lawrence Phillips, Dean Steinkuhler, Will Shields, Turner Gill, Grant Wistrom, Eric Crouch, Ahman Green, and more recently, Ndamukong Suh.

When players are coming to Nebraska, they understand they are coming to the #4 school all-time in wins. Home to 5 national championships and two legendary coaches, one of whom is the current athletic director.

When players come to Nebraska, they understand that they are going to be playing 6-7 games a season in front of a sold out crowd, which has sold out for the past 318 games. They understand that they'll be playing for a school who has traditions with the Big 8, the Big XII, and who is currently building traditions with the tradition-rich schools of the Big Ten.

That is our tradition--tradition isn't embodied in a uniform. The players don't need something as petty as the same uniform for 50 years to remind them of tradition. They already know what Nebraska is really about.

I agree with you to a point, and I also disagree to a certain extent.

I agree with you that tradition is in the name of the university. I agree that the players understand the tradition here at Nebraska. I agree that the players know about the other great players and coaches who have come before them here at The University of Nebraska. I agree they know about being #4 in all time wins, the 5 National Championships, and the 3 Heisman Trophy Winners. I also agree that for the most part that tradition doesn't live in the jerseys, pants, and cleats. Heck Nebraska is always tweaking the look of their jerseys each season. But I would argue that the basic look of Nebraska's football team has stayed consistently the same.

I do disagree about the helmets. Over the decades for the most part the essence of college football comes down to a few key areas. They would be; Wins & losses, a teams style of play, iconic universities and or iconic coaches. But college football is also about imagery, and this is where the helmets come into the discussion. Teams that have won at a high level and on a consistent basis over the decades that have also stayed consistent with their on field look is a part of college football tradition, which in turn makes it a part of that university's tradition. Universities as an example would include:

NEBRASKA, MICHIGAN, NOTRE DAME, USC, and Oklahoma.

These helmets have mostly stayed the same with the exception being Notre Dame and Michigan who had alternate helmets last season. So I will concede that jerseys for the most part are not a major factor when it comes to a university's tradition, but I stand by my opinion that for certain universities the helmet and it's design absolutely are a part of that school's tradition.

Is Nebraska's new alternate uniforms my personal favorite? No, but it's only for one game, and if the players are happy with them fine. And as long as Nebraska comes away with a win against Wisconsin that is all that should matter.

So I'm ok with the alternate uniform thing. I'd be ok if the jerseys and or pants were black, but I truly believe they should have left the helmet untouched.

I appreciate your comments, your opinion, and the friendly discussion. :cheers

I'm not saying my opinion on this subject is right or that your's or someone else's is wrong. Honestly, at the end of the day I think this forum is very beneficial to the whole Husker fan base to really get a solid read on what other Nebraska fans opinions truly are on the whole uniform topic.

Mods please feel free to delete this duplicate post. I tried to edit my original post, and instead it added a whole new post. So feel free to delete this second one. Thanks.

Tradition for the sake of tradition has always been a bad thing. As soon as tradition gets in the way of progress, it needs to be ended.

As far as football tradition goes, if you aren't relevant for more than 12 years, the kids you have to appeal to be become relevant again don't know the tradition and just think it's the strange habits of crusty old people.

• Fire 1
As soon as tradition gets in the way of progress, it needs to be ended.

Ridiculous. I couldn't disagree more.

When progress and tradition clash, then we need to consider whether that progress is worth throwing away tradition. I tend to the traditional side since it's easy to institute progress that's already been made, but once tradition is tossed aside, it's difficult and sometimes impossible to restore.

I agree with Duke...We have an identity as a school and part of that identity is our uniforms. Can we wear an alternate once a year? Yeah. Should be drastically change the uniform or wear a bunch of different ones? No, because we have a great tradition tied to that identity and need to embrace that. For the fans, for recruiting, for our national image...everything.

• Fire 1

I agree with Duke...We have an identity as a school and part of that identity is our uniforms. Can we wear an alternate once a year? Yeah. Should be drastically change the uniform or wear a bunch of different ones? No, because we have a great tradition tied to that identity and need to embrace that. For the fans, for recruiting, for our national image...everything.

Thanks tschu!

Tradition = Winning

Tradition = football jerseys? If it does then...

(Tradition = Winning) > (Tradition = football jerseys)

You used your 6th post ever is to do equations??? Can we all be honest about what kids today actually think about a schools tradition?

Today, Tradition means last 5 years. I means putting guys in the NFL. It means my coach has the new Snoop Dog joint on his iPod! It means and don't laugh, "I'm strictly a Nike guy so coach can you promise your school will switch to Nike?"

It means 2 of my buddies are goin to University of Circle Jerk so even though this school is a couple steps back for what my best options are al least my homies will be with me!

Tradition doesn't carry the same gravitas as we would hope, being from a school with alot of so called tradition! But most of today's kids could care less about substance and care more about flash! Sad? Sure! That's why I think Bo struggles to close some kids! He's no-nonsense! He ain't gonna be caught on youtube doin the Dougie with recruits! I think Bo stands for something of substance! I'm not sure if today's high school senior, with an offer from USC and Will Farrell, gives a damn!!!

• Fire 1