Spring Game attendence down this year?

I personally ordered 10 tickets for myself and friends. I know a lot of people that wait to see what the weather is going to be like day of to see if they will attend or not. The fact that it is on tv may dissuade some as well.

I am always very sad when FB season is over. I am not much into basketball (except I do watch a little of the NCAA tourney) reg season ncaa and nba don't interest me much. I do follow college baseball pretty closely at least the huskers and MLB is getting fired up. All of these are not as big as football for me so I don't care what it is I will follow it if it is football related. I am just glad to be looking forward to something.

Hopefully people are just a little slower on the draw this year and we will have a typical huge crowd to show those recruits how big football is here!

I bought 10 as well. I love the spring game atmosphere and it is really nice for those we little ones (I have a 5 and 2 year old) that want to take thier kids to a game, but not fork out too much dough. Mainly in case they get antsy and want to bail at halftime, the price is right for a situation like that.

Can't wait to head down next week....and if it's nice, I'm gonna be cooking some Q. Anyone is welcome to come find Hot Grill on Grill Action and eat some grub!

you tell me where to be and ill be there!

I'd love to know where you're going to be.

I think it is a combination of things.

Last year, new OC so folks were interested.

Economic factors.

Fans have had enough of the "passive" and not so veiled comments about the fans.

Nothing new to see.

Personally, I have learned the spring game is a sham. No matter who excites, it is pretty much guaranteed they won't unseat a starter.

Being on tv doesn't help. You can stay at home, save money and watch the delayed game on the B1G Network.

It is still 8 days away.

I really don't think it a lack of support, just a lot of factors (real or speculated) that are adding up to lower ticket sales.

Well according to most on this board "Economic factors" has nothing to do with it. your just a "bandwagon fan" if you don't pony up and spend the money.

:confucius

ok we've heard "its 50 miles to Lincoln from Omaha" that's about $12.00 in gas, and $10.00 to get in- sweet-screamin jesus the unemployment rate in Nebraska is one of the lowest in the nation- you people can't spend $22.00? this is NOT an economic issue

I guess your right, only NE fans live in NE?????????? :confucius

I guess I'm having trouble identifying your point?- just for kicks let's say that in any past spring game there are about 5k "fans" that travel over 250 miles, since we know that 2010 & 2011 were worse years economically than this year- my point was pretty simple and can be summed up by asking this question, "why aren't they going to show this year?"

The same question needs to be asked about those who live within $22.00 worth of expenses (the majority of the states' population) in a state which economically is better off than over 40 other states.

I'd have to conclude we have a lot of people who call themselves fans ,in and outside Nebraska, but aren't willing to drop the money that would buy a large pizza in most cases, or have the stones to tell their fat little girlfriends they have to stay home,.

Instead they use every excuse they can dream up not to go, other than that they themselves aren't willing to be real fans and support the team this spring by going to the game-

They will however be the first ones to bitch and complain about not getting enough "5" star recruits, even though the spring game is one of the biggest days for trying to impress recruit prospects

Maybe it is an economic issue for some... I have to work "game day." Last year I was unable to attend because I was laid off from my job and couldn't afford the $22 to go. Are we really going to start judging who the "real fans" are? Seriously? Guess because I'm not going to the spring game I'm not a true fan and I'll be bitching about not getting enough 5 star recruits.

Guess I'll have to watch it on tv and to top it off I'll have to watch it with all the other bandwagon fans.

I was on the fence earlier when it came to getting spring game tickets. I enjoyed it the first year i went when i took my sister and her fiance, 2nd year i went by myself with a much better seat, only because my sister was pregnant at the time, this year, once again i thought about going, but i was a little iffy about making the trip from Omaha, but when BTN announced showing the game on TV, it made my decision for me, I'm staying home and watching it on TV.

Now later on, i will more than likely go back to the Spring Game, not for me, but for my nephew. I would like to provide him with an experience that i never witnessed until i was in my mid 20's. Taking him to Memorial Stadium every Spring Game would be a cool tradition.

Just so you know, it's not actually going to be live on TV on the BTN. It's going to be streamed online, and shown on tape delay at night on the actual BTN channel. Make sure your cable provider supports BTN2go.com.

Wait, some people don't go because its basically just a practice? No kidding!

Good lord, its fun to go, you go with some friends, stop at O street by 9:30am, grab a few drinks, maybe get some grub, go watch the first half, then hit the bars again. Even the dorky married guys that are always worried about the wife getting mad can manage it because you can still be home by 5pm.

Look, if you don't like drinking or eating or hanging with your friends while watching a scrimmage then I get it. But if your idea of fun is hanging with friends, drinking and eating, the go, you will love it.

Bingo.

Sure, "one" spring practice is not going to show or prove much of anything but it's fun and a great excuse to get out of the house.

Maybe it is an economic issue for some... I have to work "game day." Last year I was unable to attend because I was laid off from my job and couldn't afford the $22 to go. Are we really going to start judging who the "real fans" are? Seriously? Guess because I'm not going to the spring game I'm not a true fan and I'll be bitching about not getting enough 5 star recruits.

Guess I'll have to watch it on tv and to top it off I'll have to watch it with all the other bandwagon fans.

+1 I'm not a true fan nor are you.

Economic factors.

Fans have had enough of the "passive" and not so veiled comments about the fans.

Nothing new to see.

Personally, I have learned the spring game is a sham. No matter who excites, it is pretty much guaranteed they won't unseat a starter.

Being on tv doesn't help. You can stay at home, save money and watch the delayed game on the B1G Network.

It is still 8 days away.

I really don't think it a lack of support, just a lot of factors (real or speculated) that are adding up to lower ticket sales.

Well according to most on this board "Economic factors" has nothing to do with it. your just a "bandwagon fan" if you don't pony up and spend the money.

ok we've heard "its 50 miles to Lincoln from Omaha" that's about $12.00 in gas, and $10.00 to get in- sweet-screamin jesus the unemployment rate in Nebraska is one of the lowest in the nation- you people can't spend $22.00? this is NOT an economic issue

Please let me know if that 22.00 worked out for you? :wasted

Economic factors.

Nothing new to see.

It is still 8 days away.

Sure as soon as you let me know how much you spend on your internet connection, computer, cable bill and the gross of big macks you consume per per month.

Some "fans" have different views of what it is to be a Fan- to me it is short for "fanatic" so if someone will not go to the game because they don't want to spend a few dollars- I have a different name for those folks- no longer will I consider them band wagon fans, they are just cheap arse fans-

Economic factors.

Nothing new to see.

It is still 8 days away.

Sure as soon as you let me know how much you spend on your internet connection, computer, cable bill and the gross of big macks you consume per per month.

Some "fans" have different views of what it is to be a Fan- to me it is short for "fanatic" so if someone will not go to the game because they don't want to spend a few dollars- I have a different name for those folks- no longer will I consider them band wagon fans, they are just cheap arse fans-

My guess is that your new to this “fanatic fan” thing.

Second, how I choose to spend my money doesn't concern you! I haven't needed your opinion in my finances in 47 years and I sure as hell don't need it now.

Third; Whatever!!!!!! LOL. Take your post and !!! :wasted

Like GrillonGrill said, I love going to the spring game because of my kids (11, 5 and 3). They have a blast running around on the track and field before the game and then on the stadium field after. We usually meet up with friends and tailgate before hand and after also.

To answer knapp's question, I do think ennui is the biggest factor in play.

The first two season of Bo's tenure there was excitement around the newness of the team. Third season, there was a QB battle and boasting of best D even without Suh. Last season, I think people thought there'd be a potential QB battle and it was to be our first season in B1G.

This season? No off the field story lines. The defense is believed to be taking a step back. Outside of Burkhead and Martinez, where's the star power? Bottom line, there just doesn't seem to be any excitement or controversy as there's been in past years. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but I do think its affected early ticket sales. Plus, as some have pointed out, it seems that under Pelini, the Spring Game has taken on less of a feel of what we can expect during the fall practice/season. Almost like putting on a "fake" show for the sake of putting on an expected show.

By kickoff, this thread may be proven moot, but there's definitely a lack of buzz than we've seen for a while.

Wanted to put these numbers in here so we don't lose them. From Sipple's blog post:

Past spring-game attendance figures:

2011 -- 66,784

2010 -- 77,000

2009 -- 77,670

2008 -- 80,149

2007 -- 54,288

2006 -- 57,415

2005 -- 63,416

2004 -- 61,417

2003 -- 33,419

2002 -- 31,420

2001 -- 30,414