I can hear it now...

Once the article below becomes known by the Global Warming Crowd I can just hear the uproar...

US shatters record for warmest March -- and first three months of a year

By Miguel Llanos, msnbc.com

The temperature analysis released by the U.S. government each month usually isn't all that riveting, but the one that came out Monday is a doozy -- and not just for weather wonks. Highlights for the contiguous U.S. (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) include:

· Last month was the warmest March on record (records go back to 1895) at 51.1 degrees; this is 8.6 degrees above the 20th century average, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

· January-March was the warmest first quarter on record; the average temperature of 42 degrees was 6 degrees above average.

· April 2011-March 2012 was the warmest stretch of those 12 months on record; at 55.4 degrees, that period was 2.6 degrees above average.

· In March, 15,292 records were broken for warmth; 7,775 were new daytime highs in cities across the country and 7,517 were new nighttime highs.

Two words: El Nino.

Three words: Law of Averages

A lot of words: The sun has been increasing in intensity over the past decade. This year, it's at the peak of it's cycle, meaning it's the warmest it's ever been since the last 10-12 years.

The ozone layer is obviously bigger than it was 10-12 years ago, but I'd like to wager that the last time we had record-shattering temperatures like this was in 1999-2000.

It's not "global warming" anymore. It's "climate change" because some places will get warmer, some will get colder, and some will get more/less rain.

It's also based on the notion that the general weather patterns we've seen over the past 100 years or so represent the "optimal" weather for Earth. Ignoring the fact that it's been alternately much warmer and much colder here over the past several million years, and life has continued on just fine.

It's not "global warming" anymore. It's "climate change" because some places will get warmer, some will get colder, and some will get more/less rain.

It's also based on the notion that the general weather patterns we've seen over the past 100 years or so represent the "optimal" weather for Earth. Ignoring the fact that it's been alternately much warmer and much colder here over the past several million years, and life has continued on just fine.

Haha I love that.

So CO2 and all our other antropogenic greenhouse gasses are bad for the environmental, what effects will they have?

-1970's: It's going to get really cold!

But its not getting colder.

-1990's/2000's: No, our bad its actually going to get really hot!

But it's not getting any warmer.

- Well actually its going to cause some places to be hot and others to be cold... some places it will rain a lot and others not so much.

You mean like it already is right now?

- duhhhhh....

• Fire 1

I am old enough to remember hearing about the "next Ice Age" scare in the 1970s. We had some pretty cold/snowy winters in 1977 and 1978 and our impending doom from glacial growth was all the talk.

Come on now............don't confuse the "sky is falling crowd" with those pesky facts..............

Climate variability - Yes, the climate changes over time, yes it has devastating effects, no there is not much we could ever expect to do about it.

Climate change - The effect man has on the climate.

Just because the first is true, doesn't make the second one false.

• Fire 1

Climate variability - Yes, the climate changes over time, yes it has devastating effects, no there is not much we could ever expect to do about it.

Just because man has an effect on the climate does not mean "ZZZOMG MAN WILL DIE!!!!" which is the tenor of every single report you hear about climate change. I have yet to see a single report showing that an increase in base temps could possibly be beneficial to mankind.

It is impossible that every single climate model shows "disaster" via an overall warmer planet. Yet I have seen none in any major news report... ever. That's a too much Chicken Little for me.

Just because man has an effect on the climate does not mean "ZZZOMG MAN WILL DIE!!!!" which is the tenor of every single report you hear about climate change. I have yet to see a single report showing that an increase in base temps could possibly be beneficial to mankind.

It is impossible that every single climate model shows "disaster" via an overall warmer planet. Yet I have seen none in any major news report... ever. That's a too much Chicken Little for me.

You seem to be hung up on the base temps. The rate at which we're causing it to change is what we have to worry about. Our infrastructures and ecosystems are suited to particular weather patterns and sea levels. It's not very reasonable to think that rapid change would somehow be beneficial.

Two words: El Nino.

Three words: Law of Averages

A lot of words: The sun has been increasing in intensity over the past decade. This year, it's at the peak of it's cycle, meaning it's the warmest it's ever been since the last 10-12 years.

The ozone layer is obviously bigger than it was 10-12 years ago, but I'd like to wager that the last time we had record-shattering temperatures like this was in 1999-2000.

I thought we were in a La Nina effect climate now. Agree with the other 2 though.

You seem to be hung up on the base temps. The rate at which we're causing it to change is what we have to worry about. Our infrastructures and ecosystems are suited to particular weather patterns and sea levels. It's not very reasonable to think that rapid change would somehow be beneficial.

WE control the sun?

Human activity is puny compared to the sun. Sure it doesn't help, but it is only a TINY fraction of the total fraction.

A co-worker asked me, "You don't think all the cars in KC isn't doing anything?"

I said "But that is cancelled by all the cars that don't exist between Honolulu and LA"

I am old enough to remember hearing about the "next Ice Age" scare in the 1970s. We had some pretty cold/snowy winters in 1977 and 1978 and our impending doom from glacial growth was all the talk.

I remember the ice storms in SE Kansas back around that time. We had a row hedge trees uprooted behind our house. Huge snow drifts too.

The climate has changed rapidly before. Shockingly, all life didn't end.

Let's be real. "We're all gonna die!!" sells more papers than "It's getting a bit warmer."

Full disclosure - I think climate change, and man's effect on it, bears much scrutiny. It's nothing to ignore. I'm mostly railing against the hyperbolic coverage of climate change.