NU baseball in coaches poll!!

Yeah.....about that......receiving votes is nice, but it ain't being ranked. App. State is getting more love, that says something about this team. Clean up the consistancy and who knows, maybe someday.

I'll keep in mind next year if the mens basketball team by chance receives any votes in any poll (which they won't) that it is really not that big of a deal.

The intent of the original post was not to force any red koolaid down anyones throat but to show people that this team isn't as bad as some think. I personally don't think this team is good enough to make the postseason and I think peoples expectations were unrealistic to assume that the 10th best team in the Big 12 would walk all over the BIG.

But the team isn't as good as some people want to think. Our starting pitching is pretty par with each other across the board. Good news for Sunday/midweek but bad news for Friday/Saturday. Receiving votes and "being ranked" being related to the same thing is a joke. We receive votes quite often in baseball polls, including to start the season in a poll this year. It doesn't mean anything. Saying you aren't saying it to force koolaid down and then saying that the "experts" here are "experts after all" is completely contradicting points. Your saying people that say we aren't that good are wrong while saying you aren't saying we're that good....hmmmm confusing?

SAY WHAT??? Trying to read your confusing summary of my confusing posts almost made my head implode... my first post was directed towards the baseball fans that think the sky is falling everytime this team loses. From a national perspective, the team is getting some recognition for being a decent team, hence the coaches votes. I couldn't imagine going through an entire MLB season with some of these guys if we cheered for the same team. Even the best teams in college baseball lose and this team is far from that level, hence the 12 loses or whatever it is.

My second post is just my opinion of the team. Not worthy of postseason play, as of yet, and not bad enough to go in full meltdown mode after every loss. And you lost me on the experts/koolaide part..

Sorry for the confusion. Ill go back into hibernation until football season.

I thought the Poll was confusing, after H/havoc's post I think I will join you in hibernation....

GBR!!!

This is an example of why the BIG gets no respect in Baseball. Wed's mid-week games.

Eastern Michigan 13 at Michigan State 5 <<< pounded at home

Minnesota 1 at South Dakota State 3 <<< beaten by a 1AA team

Missouri 5 vs Illinois 4 <<< neutral field (Bush Stadium)

Penn State 3 at Pittsburgh 5 <<< Pitt is 2 and 7 in conference

Toledo 6 at Michigan 2 <<< really??

NU vs. Iowa 9 - 8 (W)

NU vs. Creighton 5 - 3 (W)

So really we're doing pretty good. :thumbs:

Nuance were either of those Wed's nights mid week games? I think not. Grrrr..... :duel

Furthermore, I didn't direct the post at Nebraska but rather the BIG and why it gets no respect. Hence another reason why your comment is irrelevant to mine. Nice try though :rolleyes:

Hacker, your sour/old man/vinegar piss act makes most of your posts irrelevant. If you weren't such a 'Debbie Downer' all the time, you'd be a good poster.

And the Missouri-Illinois is a respectable one--Missouri is middle of the pack in the Big XII, better than K-State is doing currently. Those of us that have played baseball know you can't realistically win them all.

and matthew, if you'd actually take some time and do some research before making remarks in half your posts then your comments would also hold slightly more relevance. As it is though you seem content on posting false facts and leaving doors open that allow for a good pawning. As for playing baseball, I've done my share of gaming and I don't care if people see my posts as sour/old man/vinegar piss act. I expect the university to exceed mediocrity in all of the relevant sports. The women's programs are doing so. The men's however have yet to even reach a conference tourney under the current administration. Call me old, call me sour or even call me Debbie Downer but the truth is the truth. Football, Basketball, Baseball are all unproven and mediocre. Baseball still has a chance to reach post season conference championship and hopefully pull the men's department from the ashes. I'm hoping they do.

As for other sour comments, my bet is that if one asked any 90's football player their opinion of our men's sports now, all would agree with me. The difference between that era and now is simply this. In the 90's we looked at schedules and wonder who "might" stand a chance at beating us. Now we look at the schedule asking who we will lose to. Big difference matey. Oh and after being pawned once again let me end by saying enjoy the day and game.

GBR

Nuance were either of those Wed's nights mid week games? I think not. Grrrr..... :duel

Furthermore, I didn't direct the post at Nebraska but rather the BIG and why it gets no respect. Hence another reason why your comment is irrelevant to mine. Nice try though :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was just pointing out that NU is winning some decent games. While our B1G brethren are getting beat by the likes of Eastern Michigan, South Dakoty State and Toledo. That's all I meant.

We can only hope that our presence within the BIG will pressure the BIG leadership to place more emphasis on baseball. I think it is important for the skers to not just reach the BIG conference tourney but for Husker Nation to put 3K or more fans at the tourney. I also believe if that happens then Werner Park is a shoe in for the conference tourney. The BIG is "all about" money and brand name. Therefore, if Husker Nation shows up, the BIG will most definitely market it.

Yeah.....about that......receiving votes is nice, but it ain't being ranked. App. State is getting more love, that says something about this team. Clean up the consistancy and who knows, maybe someday.

I'll keep in mind next year if the mens basketball team by chance receives any votes in any poll (which they won't) that it is really not that big of a deal.

The intent of the original post was not to force any red koolaid down anyones throat but to show people that this team isn't as bad as some think. I personally don't think this team is good enough to make the postseason and I think peoples expectations were unrealistic to assume that the 10th best team in the Big 12 would walk all over the BIG.

But the team isn't as good as some people want to think. Our starting pitching is pretty par with each other across the board. Good news for Sunday/midweek but bad news for Friday/Saturday. Receiving votes and "being ranked" being related to the same thing is a joke. We receive votes quite often in baseball polls, including to start the season in a poll this year. It doesn't mean anything. Saying you aren't saying it to force koolaid down and then saying that the "experts" here are "experts after all" is completely contradicting points. Your saying people that say we aren't that good are wrong while saying you aren't saying we're that good....hmmmm confusing?

SAY WHAT??? Trying to read your confusing summary of my confusing posts almost made my head implode... my first post was directed towards the baseball fans that think the sky is falling everytime this team loses. From a national perspective, the team is getting some recognition for being a decent team, hence the coaches votes. I couldn't imagine going through an entire MLB season with some of these guys if we cheered for the same team. Even the best teams in college baseball lose and this team is far from that level, hence the 12 loses or whatever it is.

My second post is just my opinion of the team. Not worthy of postseason play, as of yet, and not bad enough to go in full meltdown mode after every loss. And you lost me on the experts/koolaide part..

Sorry, I spent all of Tuesday and Wednesday in a car (driving lincoln to baton rouge) and then was on quickly before bed on Wednesday, missed a few paragraph breaks there. Let me clarify.

We are not that good. You seem to be using votes in a poll as a sign that we are good, which is not the case at all. This is a poll that we should be ranked in every week, not something we should be thrilled that we are getting votes in.

2nd, you said you "aren't trying to force red koolaid down anyones throats" and we "aren't that good" in your 2nd post, and in your 1st post you said that the "baseball experts on this board think we are no good, they are 'experts' afterall". Those are contradicting posts, flip flopping, if you would.

Finally, to bring it all together, you are saying that people who say we are bad are wrong, while you in turn are saying we aren't good. Again, contradiction.

Better?

Sorry, I spent all of Tuesday and Wednesday in a car (driving lincoln to baton rouge) and then was on quickly before bed on Wednesday, missed a few paragraph breaks there. Let me clarify.

We are not that good. You seem to be using votes in a poll as a sign that we are good, which is not the case at all. This is a poll that we should be ranked in every week, not something we should be thrilled that we are getting votes in.

2nd, you said you "aren't trying to force red koolaid down anyones throats" and we "aren't that good" in your 2nd post, and in your 1st post you said that the "baseball experts on this board think we are no good, they are 'experts' afterall". Those are contradicting posts, flip flopping, if you would.

Finally, to bring it all together, you are saying that people who say we are bad are wrong, while you in turn are saying we aren't good. Again, contradiction.

Better?

I wouldn't say we are a great team yet, but the guys are playing with a lot of heart it seems, and Erstad and Co. have set a great foundation for success in the future.

and matthew, if you'd actually take some time and do some research before making remarks in half your posts then your comments would also hold slightly more relevance. As it is though you seem content on posting false facts and leaving doors open that allow for a good pawning. As for playing baseball, I've done my share of gaming and I don't care if people see my posts as sour/old man/vinegar piss act. I expect the university to exceed mediocrity in all of the relevant sports. The women's programs are doing so. The men's however have yet to even reach a conference tourney under the current administration. Call me old, call me sour or even call me Debbie Downer but the truth is the truth. Football, Basketball, Baseball are all unproven and mediocre. Baseball still has a chance to reach post season conference championship and hopefully pull the men's department from the ashes. I'm hoping they do.

As for other sour comments, my bet is that if one asked any 90's football player their opinion of our men's sports now, all would agree with me. The difference between that era and now is simply this. In the 90's we looked at schedules and wonder who "might" stand a chance at beating us. Now we look at the schedule asking who we will lose to. Big difference matey. Oh and after being pawned once again let me end by saying enjoy the day and game.

GBR

C'mon man. We haven't reached a conference tourney as a men's sport under the current administration? Um... Let's think. Basketball always makes the conference tourney because there is no teams that don't. Football made the conference title game in '09 and '10 before missing it in the Big Ten in '11. Baseball is under a 'new administration' this year, hence no tournament to be able to reach, but if you're talking the past one, they made and won their fair share.

Really, you say that matthew is uninformed in the SAME POST that you make that absurd statement... please man, c'mon.

I wouldn't say we are a great team yet, but the guys are playing with a lot of heart it seems, and Erstad and Co. have set a great foundation for success in the future.

I've never denied that and have actually said it on multiple occasions, but heart does not equal wins. We are playing way better than I thought we would this year, but as I've said all along, I still expect to miss the NCAAs and expect Purdue (barring upset in tourney) be the only Big Ten team to make it.

havoc, earlier I would have agreed with you but having done a little more in-depth look at whom Purdue has played and at the number of non-conference series they've played makes me more confident that we win this weekend's series. (see my post in Friday's Starter).

Series win's are much harder to accomplish then individual (or solo) game wins and though Purdue has some impressive wins (Louisville, Wichita St (in which they split 2-2) and one can also argue the Missouri State win) they have yet to get a series win against a post season caliber team (tOSU might be the exception) away from home. (Illinois is a good series win/sweep).

I'm not saying the huskers have accomplished that either but I am saying that as good as Purdue may look at this time, they've yet only had 2 "big" series on the road, going 2-1 at tOSU and splitting 4 games with Wichita St. I see no reason why the fans here in Nebraska shouldn't anticipate a series win against Purdue.

I did find it interesting that while we weren't receiving votes this week in the coaches poll anymore, we were listed on 'five to watch' by Perfect Game. Some national recognition is always a good thing. Can't wait to see a few more prospects trickle in for Erstad, and see where this team is on a national stage in a couple years. The progress made already is better than what I had truly hoped for at the beginning of the year. GBR!!