NU baseball in coaches poll!!

I think the amount of "give up" in this team is dramatically less than it was the last few years. There was definitely a lull yesterday - we got up 4-1 and started cruising along, then hit a bump (the two-run fifth) and the wind NOTICEABLY went out of the sails of the team. In fact, the whole stadium got quiet, fans and everybody. It was kinda weird.

Then two more in the sixth.

Then three more in the seventh.

In about one hour we went from being up three to down four. Then the Hawkeyes brought in their closer, who had shut us down on Friday, and very clearly the team said, "We're not done yet." They had plenty of action in the eighth, although they only got one run. The crowd got into it again, and the energy picked back up. We put them down in the top of the ninth and as soon as our leadoff hitter got on base in the ninth, it felt like we had a chance.

I don't remember that kind of feeling in the last couple of years. It seemed like when we got down, it was over.

Yeah.....about that......receiving votes is nice, but it ain't being ranked. App. State is getting more love, that says something about this team. Clean up the consistancy and who knows, maybe someday.

So bring back Anderson? Jeez what do you want in Darin's first year

Yeah.....about that......receiving votes is nice, but it ain't being ranked. App. State is getting more love, that says something about this team. Clean up the consistancy and who knows, maybe someday.

I'll keep in mind next year if the mens basketball team by chance receives any votes in any poll (which they won't) that it is really not that big of a deal.

The intent of the original post was not to force any red koolaid down anyones throat but to show people that this team isn't as bad as some think. I personally don't think this team is good enough to make the postseason and I think peoples expectations were unrealistic to assume that the 10th best team in the Big 12 would walk all over the BIG.

I'll keep in mind next year if the mens basketball team by chance receives any votes in any poll (which they won't) that it is really not that big of a deal.

The intent of the original post was not to force any red koolaid down anyones throat but to show people that this team isn't as bad as some think. I personally don't think this team is good enough to make the postseason and I think peoples expectations were unrealistic to assume that the 10th best team in the Big 12 would walk all over the BIG.

post-10281-0-86533300-1334024261.gif

• Fire 1

NU is receiving 11 votes... I'm not sure which coaches vote, but if they can KSU and Cal would be voting - along with anyone else that has been on the schedule - for NU and any B10 coach will be voting for them. It's great they are getting votes and shows signs of improvement, but come on. You're the one who ripped on posters for claiming to be 'experts' and backed it with a mere 11 votes. Yes it's great, but you asked for PC's response with such a provocative post.

i think if we all look at the big picture here, this team has sub-par talent overall. I think we have some pieces that can be coached up and molded to fit what Mr. Fighting Erstad himself is trying to accomplish. I think there are a ton of east coast teams that may be small schools overall but get good baseball talent. This team does have potential. Potential to win a B1G Championship and win a game or 2 in post season. IF that would happen the team could build good confidence and maybe win a game or 2 more. There are major inconsistencies in all 3 areas of the game for this team. Hitting can be super hot against ok pitchers. But against many friday night guys this team just doesnt put up much consistently. Defense seems to be ok but there have been many stupid errors that have extended innings for teams. Lastly is pitching. We don't have 1 go to guy right now that you have a feeling when he gets on the mound that we should on any given night with that guy going 5-6-7 innings. On top of that middle relief hasnt been spectacular and closing is hit and miss.

There are many holes on this team but I think Erstad is trying to patch up these holes. I still think we have a good shot and should win the B1G and hopefully the tourny so we can get that AQ. It will be interesting to see the type of guys that Erstad Silva and Bolt bring in in the coming years. I think that there are a few pretty good guys on this team that will carry the team. Hopefully those guys can step up and lead this team to be more consistent.

Trying to figure out this poll. Sam Houston State at 24, but it shows them in teams receiving votes also, and 7 other teams ahead of them in votes. New Mexico State at 25, but East Carolina and Georgia Tech both receiving more votes, but still behind them. Its nice to get some recognition, but something is weird.

GBR!!!

Huskered17, that's probably just a typo.

And Nebraska is getting on the map. If we can prove that we can win a series on the road, we'll be the second B1G team in the Top 25, which is good for the conference overall.

And in looking back at our games, it appears that Silva is doing the best he can with what we have, but we just don't have great pitching talent in our bullpen right now. Erstad and Silva will likely address this with recruiting, but it's overall great that Erstad is getting these results with what he has on hand--if anything, it speaks volumes to the coaching talent he and his assistants posses.

But the team isn't as good as some people want to think. Our starting pitching is pretty par with each other across the board. Good news for Sunday/midweek but bad news for Friday/Saturday. Receiving votes and "being ranked" being related to the same thing is a joke. We receive votes quite often in baseball polls, including to start the season in a poll this year. It doesn't mean anything. Saying you aren't saying it to force koolaid down and then saying that the "experts" here are "experts after all" is completely contradicting points. Your saying people that say we aren't that good are wrong while saying you aren't saying we're that good....hmmmm confusing?

But the team isn't as good as some people want to think. Our starting pitching is pretty par with each other across the board. Good news for Sunday/midweek but bad news for Friday/Saturday. Receiving votes and "being ranked" being related to the same thing is a joke. We receive votes quite often in baseball polls, including to start the season in a poll this year. It doesn't mean anything. Saying you aren't saying it to force koolaid down and then saying that the "experts" here are "experts after all" is completely contradicting points. Your saying people that say we aren't that good are wrong while saying you aren't saying we're that good....hmmmm confusing?

SAY WHAT??? Trying to read your confusing summary of my confusing posts almost made my head implode... my first post was directed towards the baseball fans that think the sky is falling everytime this team loses. From a national perspective, the team is getting some recognition for being a decent team, hence the coaches votes. I couldn't imagine going through an entire MLB season with some of these guys if we cheered for the same team. Even the best teams in college baseball lose and this team is far from that level, hence the 12 loses or whatever it is.

My second post is just my opinion of the team. Not worthy of postseason play, as of yet, and not bad enough to go in full meltdown mode after every loss. And you lost me on the experts/koolaide part..

Sorry for the confusion. Ill go back into hibernation until football season.