Should Ozzie Guillen be suspended for his Castro comments?

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ozzie Guillen suspended five games

ESPN.com news services Updated: April 10, 2012, 4:32 PM ET

MIAMI -- The Miami Marlins have suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for comments he made in which he expressed admiration for Cuban leader Fidel Castro.

LINK

Here's what he said:

"Fidel Castro," he said. "He's a bull---- dictator and everybody's against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him. Everywhere he goes they roll out the red carpet. I don't admire his philosophy. I admire him."

I voted no, but then I don't run a baseball team in Miami, which has a HUGE Cuban expat population. It's hard to gripe too much about the suspension. Ozzie was stupid and he knows it. He should have kept his mouth shut.

I think five games is too long, though. But they're sending a message to their fans.

Yeah, that's the only reason to suspend Guillen--as a gesture to the fans. Because what he said is exactly right. Regardless of whether you agree with Castro's politics or not, or whether you think he's the most evil dictator in the world, Castro has incredible staying power.

As a baseball fan and an American citizen, I have no problems with what he said and don't think he should be suspended. But as an employee of the Miami Marlins he should probably watch what he says publically that might offend his employers fanbase. I still think suspension for this is stupid but I guess this is the result when US cities are overrun by large numbers of people from other countries.

I voted no, but then I don't run a baseball team in Miami, which has a HUGE Cuban expat population. It's hard to gripe too much about the suspension. Ozzie was stupid and he knows it. He should have kept his mouth shut.

I think five games is too long, though. But they're sending a message to their fans.

You mean the same Cubans that didn't support the then Florida Marlins? That have 2 World Series Championships. They are hypocrites. If they supported the Marlins i would agree with them.

You mean the same Cubans that didn't support the then Florida Marlins? That have 2 World Series Championships. They are hypocrites. If they supported the Marlins i would agree with them.

Yes, those Cubans. I didn't say it was logical, I said that's why they're doing it.

Yes, those Cubans. I didn't say it was logical, I said that's why they're doing it.

Ozzie has a history of putting his foot in his mouth and yet Miami still hired him. He is a very outspoken manager and getting him trying to change is very hard. I really don't find anything wrong with what he said once you read all of what he said and not cherry pick.

Was going to post this very sentiment, but you beat me to it, so I'm going to rehash an old meme instead.

pancake_bunny.jpg?1249339142