Athlon ranks the Big Ten Quarterbacks

3. Taylor Martinez, Nebraska (JR)

Passing Stats: 2,089 yards, 13 TD, 8 INT, 56.3%

Rushing Stats: 188 att., 874 yards, 9 TD

Martinez burst into the hearts and minds of Big Red faithful after 323 yards and five touchdowns in a thrilling 51-41 win over Oklahoma State as a freshman. After a public disagreement with his head coach — and miserable performance on the field against Texas A&M, questioned swirled around T-Magic’s second season. However, as a sophomore, he answered one of the biggest question marks by maturing as a leader and developing mental toughness. The final stage of his growth will come in the form of consistent and accurate passing. His completion rate dipped in year two under center, but his interception rate did too as his yardage totals increased. With his electric ability to pickup yards with his legs, and possibly the top receiving corps in the Big Ten, Martinez should have his eyes set on a monster 2012 campaign. He has won 18 games in his first two years as a starter and a trip to the Big Ten title game will fall to his ability to complete key third-down passes late in close games.

Unsurprisingly, Denard Robinson weighs in at #1, with (somewhat surprisingly) Braxton Miller at #2. D-Rob is the odds-on favorite for the Big Ten First Team QB, while Miller is being rated mostly on potential - and the advent of the Urban Meyer Era in Columbus.

Martinez' potential has yet to be fully tapped. The question is, is his upside two ticks higher or ten ticks higher than we've already seen? Can he figure out the passing game? I don't think Athlon is exaggerating in the least when they say Nebraska has - potentially - the top receiving corps in the Big Ten. But all the talent at wideout won't help one whit if Martinez can't get them the ball consistently and on time.

I agree the potential is there. Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Jamal Turner, Jordan Westerkamp, Taariq Allen, Kyler Reed - these are guys who can give a defense fits. We need to figure out how to utilize their talents, and of course we need to get them the ball in a manner that allows them to rack up YAC.

Top receiving corp in the B1G??? Id never in a million years imagine hearing or reading those words about my beloved huskers!

Notice he said, potentially, not we do have the best WR corp in the Big Ten.

Even though we do IMO. Michigan could be up there too.

I think it all depends on what kind of production we get opposite of Bell, and if Kyler Reed goes back to 2010 form. Between Enunwa, Turner, Westerkamp, and Marlow someone needs to step up. Enunwa showed flashes last year, but had some drops too.

How could they possibly rank Andrew Maxwell (Mechicken St) over Kain Colter (NW), Caleb TerBush (Pur) and Matt McGloin (Peder State)? That's just silly. Maxwell has played about half a game so far.

How could they possibly rank Andrew Maxwell (Mechicken St) over Kain Colter (NW), Caleb TerBush (Pur) and Matt McGloin (Peder State)? That's just silly. Maxwell has played about half a game so far.

My guess is that they're factoring in the pieces surrounding these players as well. Miller's #2 ranking isn't specifically earned by his play on the field, which at times was both brilliant and bewildering.

Athlon also ranks the B12 QBs:

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia (SR)

2. Collin Klein, Kansas State (SR)

3. Landy Jones, Oklahoma (SR)

LINK

Such a poor aerial game that they renamed him Landy. :lol:

yikes im not sure i agree with Geno at #1, he is very inconsistent, i watched him in many games last year, i think Landry is #1 with Klein #2, as far as our ranking i think its fair, lets be fair i think Braxton has more capability that T Mag and really shouldve beaten us last year. However with overall talent around Taylor with hopefully the most electrifying receiver (bell) this year, and a group of nasty backs, i have high expectations for the offense

Athlon also ranks the B12 QBs:

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia (SR)

2. Collin Klein, Kansas State (SR)

3. Landy Jones, Oklahoma (SR)

LINK

Such a poor aerial game that they renamed him Landy. :lol:

I cleaned up some typos in the Martinez blurb in the OP. Their editing is less than impressive.

I agree the potential is there. Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Jamal Turner, Jordan Westerkamp, Taariq Allen, Kyler Reed - these are guys who can give a defense fits. We need to figure out how to utilize their talents, and of course we need to get them the ball in a manner that allows them to rack up YAC.

Funny thing is, you didn't even list the guy with the best hands on the team.

IMHO, Ben Cotton is the guy I'd most want being tossed the rock with the game on the line. He's got the surest hands out of any of those guys, though Westerkamp's sound pretty amazing coming in. He hasn't proven it at the college level, however. Ben is just flat-out reliable. He's the definition of a safety valve.

Heck, Rex out of the backfield doesn't have bad hands at all either. I wish with the young'uns vying for playing time back there, Beck would find a way to get Aaron or Ameer the ball in the screen game. To borrow a page from my favorite pro team's book, the Eagles showed just how much of a terror that can be during the Brian Westbrook years. He was an absolute monster with blockers out in front... such good vision.

Whether or not Beck eventually works that into the offense remains to be seen.

• Fire 3

Braxton get's #2 for the team around him, not his production under center. He'll be effective because he'll have a solid OL - and a defense that gets him the ball back quickly. He'll have a ton of possessions, and won't be playing from behind much. The odds someone hangs 30+ on that defense more than once or twice this season is low IMO.