Fighting Boilermakers vs Fighting Erstad's Huskers

The penchant of this team to continually fall behind early in games is puzzling.

Obviously it happens against different pitchers, different teams, different weather conditions, different ball parks, etc. There is no apparent common denominator.

It almost makes you wonder if it is something in the approach to games that allows this to occur.

This is not a slam on the coaches, but just a question that seems to have no discernible answer. (Sort of like it’s difficult to quantify momentum in baseball when individual batters get hot at the same time, even though they offer different skill sets). Although in that case, the common thread is, at least initially, the opposing pitcher.

Just wondered if anyone has some cogent thoughts on the matter…?

The penchant of this team to continually fall behind early in games is puzzling.

Obviously it happens against different pitchers, different teams, different weather conditions, different ball parks, etc. There is no apparent common denominator.

It almost makes you wonder if it is something in the approach to games that allows this to occur.

This is not a slam on the coaches, but just a question that seems to have no discernible answer. (Sort of like it’s difficult to quantify momentum in baseball when individual batters get hot at the same time, even though they offer different skill sets). Although in that case, the common thread is, at least initially, the opposing pitcher.

It's pitching depth. Nebraska doesn't have it this year. There's no reliable ace to keep a team off the scoreboard deep into the game yet.

• Fire 1

It seemed like we didn't let the game come to us today, we pressed too much. The guys were taking big hacks when we needed base hits.

Hats off to Purdue. They're a solid club and deserved to win this game. It was more what they did than what we didn't do, or what we did wrong. They're deserving of being atop the Big Ten, from what I saw.

Here's a pic of the game. Warning - it's huge.

purduepanorama.jpg

It's pitching depth. Nebraska doesn't have it this year. There's no reliable ace to keep a team off the scoreboard deep into the game yet.

I could buy that, except that it's not just Friday night (Ace Night). It's almost every game.

Tip my cap to Purdue. They came to play this weekend. If we can't win the B1G tourney and Purdue does, then I'll root for them to make the CWS.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm still confident that this team will get better in the coming years. This season has taught the new staff what needs to be addressed and hopefully they can find those needs on the recruiting trail. We'll get there though.

I could buy that, except that it's not just Friday night (Ace Night). It's almost every game.

That's just it, there's no leader on the pitching staff yet to set any kind of tone for a weekend.