DT Nathan Bazata (Iowa Commit)

If this kid were from South or North Dakota, woul we want him?

Sometimes the question is if kids like Bazata, Ott, and Schoff were playing in Class B or A, who wouldn't want them? And I am talking about colleges.

I understand your point and I think you also understand mine Paulie. It seems as though the coaches are in a lose lose situation with kids like this from fan perception though.

If this kid were from South or North Dakota, woul we want him?

Sometimes the question is if kids like Bazata, Ott, and Schoff were playing in Class B or A, who wouldn't want them? And I am talking about colleges.

I understand your point and I think you also understand mine Paulie. It seems as though the coaches are in a lose lose situation with kids like this from fan perception though.

Agreed.

Again I'll ask. Does he have more offers or is it just us and Iowa? If he has other options an it's about just having a schollie somewhere but Nebraska is his top choice, then why not wait a little bit? It's only April. I guess I'm hoping he is still a little open on his verbal. Can't let the best players in our small state keep leaving.

He does not have an offer from Nebraska, just Iowa and South Dakota St.

• 8 months later...

http://www.hudl.com/...4/nathan-bazata

With all the striking out on DT's going on, any chance this 3-star in-state kid gets another look? Plays 8-man football, and I know no 8-man players from Nebraska ever get scholarship offers from good 'ol Nebraska, but if we need bodies at the position, and the potential is there for a hard working in state kid, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to let Iowa have 'em. PS. If you don't know Howells is King of 8-man football in the state, having won 9 state championships in the last 12 years. With 2 runner ups.

http://www.hudl.com/...4/nathan-bazata

With all the striking out on DT's going on, any chance this 3-star in-state kid gets another look? Plays 8-man football, and I know no 8-man players from Nebraska ever get scholarship offers from good 'ol Nebraska, but if we need bodies at the position, and the potential is there for a hard working in state kid, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to let Iowa have 'em. PS. If you don't know Howells is King of 8-man football in the state, having won 9 state championships in the last 12 years. With 2 runner ups.

Among football and wrestling "projects", I'd take a shot on almost any Howells kid vs. an unknown from almost anywhere else. Those kids are disciplined and tough. Love to see us swipe him back from the iowegians......

Especially after reading the World Herald write up on Maliek Collins, it seems the two players are cut from the same cloth. Could be a great tandem inside.

No kidding. Give me kids with the looks of these two and most importantly the want to and I don't give a sh#t how many stars you have. Want to is something that is so overlooked. I hate the show, but you know, a kid with Rudy's mentality.

Knowing the kids family and being good friends with one of his parents good friends, I know how tough these Bazata kids are. He played the rest of the game I was at after he dislocated his elbow. I was standing by his parents when the EMT came and told them that he had dilocated it but it popped back in place. Crazy. I think it would be a good offer, if we have the room for someone learn the position, he is strong, tough, disaplinned, and quick just raw at the position especially at this level.

In regards to the "no 8-man players get scholarship offers" comment, Connealy was a legacy, his father Donnie played in the 50s, and both uncles, Jerry and Jack played in the 70's. Little Shanle, aka Andrew got his offer on the wings of the hard work of his brother, Scott, a walk-on. Had Scott not walked on and performed so well, I don't think Andrew would have gotten his offer, and would have been a preferred walk on. Even all the Mackovicka brothers walked on. In addition to that, different era's of football. In today's world, in Nebraska, the best offer even the most dominant of 8-man players can hope to receive from NU is a preferred walk-on. Unfortunate, but true.

In regards to the "no 8-man players get scholarship offers" comment, Connealy was a legacy, his father Donnie played in the 50s, and both uncles, Jerry and Jack played in the 70's. Little Shanle, aka Andrew got his offer on the wings of the hard work of his brother, Scott, a walk-on. Had Scott not walked on and performed so well, I don't think Andrew would have gotten his offer, and would have been a preferred walk on. Even all the Mackovicka brothers walked on. In addition to that, different era's of football. In today's world, in Nebraska, the best offer even the most dominant of 8-man players can hope to receive from NU is a preferred walk-on. Unfortunate, but true.

Agree

Which is fine. One of the best athletes in 8-man about 5 years ago (Lance Thorell) got picked on by opposing teams when he hit the field at NU. It's just tough to project how 8-man kids will turn out at the D1 level.