Niles Paul - Tight End

RGIII actually has a pretty good arm, he is acurate and can throw the deep ball, i wouldnt be surprised if the redskins didnt use alot of playaction and then roll the pocket so RGIII can see the field better and be a threat to run if nobody is open. If they use him correctly it could force the other team to use a lb as a spy on him and that takes one more man out of coverage. i think he will be a solid, qb. plus dont forget he has rhj (roy helu jr) there to carry the ball and take alot of pressure off of him. helu is a damn good back imo

I agree, Helu did really well last year. As for RGIII being able to see the field, I think the height thing is a little overblown. Only four NFL quarterbacks had a passer rating of 100+ last year, and only one of them is taller than RGIII (6'2").

http://www.nfl.com/p...2506363/profile

http://www.nfl.com/p...2504775/profile

http://www.nfl.com/p...2504211/profile

http://www.nfl.com/p...2505354/profile

• 3 months later...

Peter King did his camp survey again this year. Had this to say about Niles:

Monday: Washington (Redskins Park, Ashburn, Va.)

Three football nuggets: Washington's counting on two secondary rejects -- Brandon Meriweather and Tanard Jackson -- "to help buttress" a good front seven. When the Redskins talk about how much the $36 million cap penalty imposed by the league hurts, the two spots I notice most are safety and the offensive line ... Four-way battle at running back. In time, I could see sixth-round pick Alfred Morris from Florida Atlantic winning the job -- if he blocks well. Good one-cut runner, improving receiver ... Last year's fifth-round pick, tight end Niles Paul from Nebraska, might be 6-foot-1 and just 233 pounds, but the coaches are high on his ability to be an above-average pass catcher on short and intermediate stuff, which will help Robert Griffin III when he's being pressured. From the looks of the offensive line, that will be early and often.

For comparison, Kyler Reed is listed at 6'3" and 230lbs. Niles is undersized for an NFL tight end, but his speed should make him a coverage headache for most teams. If RGIII can translate his skills to this level, and if he needs an outlet often, Niles could have a good year.

I tuned in a couple weeks ago just in time to see Niles drop a perfectly thrown pass... Yeah, I have no faith in his pass catching ability.

It's not his fault he has tiny hands.

tinyhands_thumb.png

That double cheeseburger is going to make them look even smaller.

I think they're looking for an Aaron Hernandez type guy here. Guy who is just a big mismatch, not necessary the strongest blocker, but gets the job done while being plenty fast and a big enough target. I don't think Paul will really have to put on weight. At 233 he'll just continue being Niles Paul, strong blocking WR, while working from the TE position.

It could be devastatingly effective.

Can't believe they dropped Cooley, though!

Let's set one thing straight, Paul IS NOT Hernandez, in any sense of the word. He may be match up nightmare against backers from a quickness standpoint, but he can't catch a lick. Furthermore, blocking from the tight end spot is very different compared to blocking d-backs. He will be completely overwhelmed at the point of attack. They will have to use him like a Cooley where blocking is an afterthought.

Niles will never stick as NFL coaches have NO patience for receivers with hands made of brick.

and this...

He also had a 42 kickoff return in the last preseason game.

He was very impressive as a blocker last year so the move to TE wasn't that much of a surprise.

It was known that Cooley was probably going to be released eventually. He's had injury issues and a big pay check.

Still, it had to be a tough decision since the guy is a big time fan favorite and even said he couldn't imagine wearing another uniform.

Let's set one thing straight, Paul IS NOT Hernandez, in any sense of the word. He may be match up nightmare against backers from a quickness standpoint, but he can't catch a lick. Furthermore, blocking from the tight end spot is very different compared to blocking d-backs. He will be completely overwhelmed at the point of attack. They will have to use him like a Cooley where blocking is an afterthought.

Niles will never stick as NFL coaches have NO patience for receivers with hands made of brick.

Niles is/was an excellent blocker as a wide receiver and will be at least serviceable at tight end. Besides, blocking is almost more about mentality than physical skills, and Niles has a nasty streak. Also, I watch every Patriots game and as much as I love Aaron Hernandez his hands are not the best, made even worse by the fact that TFB is throwing him the ball.