B1G and Conference expansion?

My understanding is that all the current Big 12 schools have signed away their tv rights for 6 years, about to go to 13. IF we left, our rights would stay behind (except 3rd tier) I don't think anyone can leave the Big 12 now. That was the cornerstone of people starting to come and not leave.

Ugh. Not this s**t again...I kid, I kid. :)

For one, people assume that Clemson and FSU are going to be in a better fiscal position in the BigXII than the ACC--that isn't the case, as the ACC has a handshake agreement without a dollar amount with ESPN currently for all three tiers of the ACC--something ESPN doesn't have with the Big XII and will never want, as the second and third-tier programming is weak (read: Tech, Baylor, KSU, ISU).

ESPN already signed on the dotted line to bump their deal with the Big XII up to $20 million/school total--this total includes second-tier Fox Sports rights (not Fox OTA) and does not include third-tier rights. Other than Oklahoma and TexAss, any of the other schools will be hard-pressed to effectively capitalize on their third tier rights, so we're still looking at a haves vs. have-not scenario in the Big XII--it's just not as drastic as it was before.

This did not pan out like you thought. All 3 tiers of the ACC are worth $17MM, and that is after a lot of ramping up. Anyone leaving the ACC gets over $3MM more from this, plus maybe $4MM from tier 3, plus money from this new SEC bowl, plus likely share of national final four Money, plus additional funds from base contract if big draws are added and a championship game is put back, etc.... I think they are looking at $10MM or more, maybe $15MM, than if they stay in the ACC when you look at all the funds. Obviously a lot of this is speculation, but the Big 12's financial situation is good and getting incredibly better fast.

Ugh. Not this s**t again...I kid, I kid. :)

For one, people assume that Clemson and FSU are going to be in a better fiscal position in the BigXII than the ACC--that isn't the case, as the ACC has a handshake agreement without a dollar amount with ESPN currently for all three tiers of the ACC--something ESPN doesn't have with the Big XII and will never want, as the second and third-tier programming is weak (read: Tech, Baylor, KSU, ISU).

ESPN already signed on the dotted line to bump their deal with the Big XII up to $20 million/school total--this total includes second-tier Fox Sports rights (not Fox OTA) and does not include third-tier rights. Other than Oklahoma and TexAss, any of the other schools will be hard-pressed to effectively capitalize on their third tier rights, so we're still looking at a haves vs. have-not scenario in the Big XII--it's just not as drastic as it was before.

This did not pan out like you thought. All 3 tiers of the ACC are worth $17MM, and that is after a lot of ramping up. Anyone leaving the ACC gets over $3MM more from this, plus maybe $4MM from tier 3, plus money from this new SEC bowl, plus likely share of national final four Money, plus additional funds from base contract if big draws are added and a championship game is put back, etc.... I think they are looking at $10MM or more, maybe $15MM, than if they stay in the ACC when you look at all the funds. Obviously a lot of this is speculation, but the Big 12's financial situation is good and getting incredibly better fast.

I always thought if the Big12 could hold it together until they renegotiated their ABC deal they would be OK, but they are in a better position than I thought. The ACC is on the verge of being picked apart.

If that is true about the Big 12 then it looks like they take the place of the ACC as one of the 4 that survives. It is looking like the 4 major conferences to survive will be the Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 and the B1G. where as before it was looking like the ACC would make it and the Big 12 would not. We will see. I not sure what I think about 16 team super conferences overall but I am all for more games matching 2 big time teams. I don't like the money games, so if we had bigger conferences along with alliances maybe we would have less of the directional schools and more big boy football.

If that is true about the Big 12 then it looks like they take the place of the ACC as one of the 4 that survives. It is looking like the 4 major conferences to survive will be the Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 and the B1G. where as before it was looking like the ACC would make it and the Big 12 would not. We will see. I not sure what I think about 16 team super conferences overall but I am all for more games matching 2 big time teams. I don't like the money games, so if we had bigger conferences along with alliances maybe we would have less of the directional schools and more big boy football.

If FSU leaves and BCS money is not flowing into the ACC it will be scramble mode for everyone to get out. I think FSU and Clemson are gone. That dosen't mean the 4 conferences will all start trying to get to 16, that makes no sense to me. Why would the B1G for example start snatching up the likes of Pitt and Syracuse when they don't add more money to the pot than the average B1G school?

I could see both the SEC and B1G having interest in a pairing of NC and VATech. Georgia Tech could be a Big12 target. Maryland, NC State, Virginia, BC, and/or Miami could have a fit somewhere I just can't see it now. ND is still the big chip that needs to fall, and if this playoff forces them into a conference my guess is B1G.

One thing that seems pretty obivious is we have 4 big boy conferences and 4 conference champs. There is your playoff, PAC vs B1G and SEC vs Big12. You even have 4 CCG's so now you have an 8 team playoff. Everybody else can go out in the fall and run a team out onto the field in front of a half full 50,000 seat stadium and wait until basketball season starts.

Not sure if it's a good thing, but that's how I see it.

If FSU leaves and BCS money is not flowing into the ACC it will be scramble mode for everyone to get out. I think FSU and Clemson are gone. That dosen't mean the 4 conferences will all start trying to get to 16, that makes no sense to me. Why would the B1G for example start snatching up the likes of Pitt and Syracuse when they don't add more money to the pot than the average B1G school?

I could see both the SEC and B1G having interest in a pairing of NC and VATech. Georgia Tech could be a Big12 target. Maryland, NC State, Virginia, BC, and/or Miami could have a fit somewhere I just can't see it now. ND is still the big chip that needs to fall, and if this playoff forces them into a conference my guess is B1G.

One thing that seems pretty obivious is we have 4 big boy conferences and 4 conference champs. There is your playoff, PAC vs B1G and SEC vs Big12. You even have 4 CCG's so now you have an 8 team playoff. Everybody else can go out in the fall and run a team out onto the field in front of a half full 50,000 seat stadium and wait until basketball season starts.

So everybody else that is in the NCAA doesn't even have a shot in that situation. If that's the way it works out then oh well I guess, but it doesn't seem like a trend in the right direction. The reason the push for a 4-team playoff is there is so that more teams have a fair shot to win the National Championship, or at least play in it. Making only 64 of the 120 teams in the country even eligible to make the playoffs is definitely not the way to go IMO...

The departure of FSU, Clemson or both would not lead the ACC to collapse. Collapse as a legitimate football conference yes but they never were one to begin with. They'll always be around for basketball and even if those teams leave they'll just be down to twelve teams, hardly in danger at all.

I'd say even with the current rumors the ACC will outlast the Big Twelve which is only one or two Texas hissy fit/power grabs from destruction.

The departure of FSU, Clemson or both would not lead the ACC to collapse. Collapse as a legitimate football conference yes but they never were one to begin with. They'll always be around for basketball and even if those teams leave they'll just be down to twelve teams, hardly in danger at all.

I'd say even with the current rumors the ACC will outlast the Big Twelve which is only one or two Texas hissy fit/power grabs from destruction.

I don't think the ACC will collapse. I just think you will see more teams leaving the ACC, and the ACC will just pick-up more BigEast teams. Which conference will last longer I have not a clue.

I don't think the ACC will collapse. I just think you will see more teams leaving the ACC, and the ACC will just pick-up more BigEast teams. Which conference will last longer I have not a clue.

That was directed at Jaybird who more or less made that declaration. I can see the ACC losing some recent additions but as long as Tobacco Road and the Virginia Schools stay together they'll be around in some form.

Ugh, I think you are right even if it looks lillegal. How is the Pac getting to 16 then?

I Agree. If people aren;t making the pot bigger to justify their share and adding to the shares of the others, they are odd man out. I don't think people will go to 16 unless they see value. We are mostly past what makes sense for good, regional based, rvialry based, college football. I still think they are going to diminish their product and don't like it, but it is what it is.