Frank Solich

Frank Solich  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

His record at Ohio is 50-40. We already have a head coach. He's 67. That's all I need to think about to say No.

Whether he should've been canned in 2003 is a more complex question, and I'm not going to rehash past history. But to bring him back now, unless you have some other role than coaching in mind, is a no-brainer to me.

I absolutely would like Frank to be part of this program again. I don't know that I would take him back to replace Bo because I think Bo has done a fair/mediocre job here so far. I would never have made the change in the first place back in 2003. I have many of the games on tape from Solich's stretch as HC. Our offense was really a great offense (we lacked a QB unfortunately). If you looked at the play calling and the physicality, Barney Cotton actually was a pretty darn good offensive coordinator. We were far more multiple then than we are now. When Solich finally made the decision to hire some new guys defensively you could tell that we were on the rise. Bo Pelini in my opinion belongs at the DC position. He still has a lot to figure out when it comes to being a HC, but he was top of the line as a DC. We definitely would have been a force to reckon with if that staff had been given another year and more from there. Frank, in my opinion, still represents everything good about Nebraska. I hope he has success no matter where he goes. I wonder if he could still strap on the pads and go out there, that guy was a beast in his Husker days.

• Fire 2

Would I want Frank Solich back at Nebraska?

As a Head Coach? No. I disagreed with the way he was let go. At the time I didn't think he deserved to be fired. But with that said, that ship has sailed, we have Bo and I am completely happy with Pelini as our head coach.

Would I want Frank Solich back at Nebraska as a position coach?

If he wasn't interested in retiring than yes I would love to see Frank back at Nebraska coaching running backs. His head coaching stint didn't go as well as many had hoped, but no one can deny that the man could flat out coach running backs!

Would I want Frank Solich back at Nebraska for a home game to honor his service to this program as a player, assistant coach, and head coach?

Absolutely! The man deserves to be recognized for the long commitment that he gave to this program for so many years.

• Fire 6

Would I want Frank Solich back at Nebraska?

As a Head Coach? No. I disagreed with the way he was let go. At the time I didn't think he deserved to be fired. But with that said, that ship has sailed, we have Bo and I am completely happy with Pelini as our head coach.

Would I want Frank Solich back at Nebraska as a position coach?

If he wasn't interested in retiring than yes I would love to see Frank back at Nebraska coaching running backs. His head coaching stint didn't go as well as many had hoped, but no one can deny that the man could flat out coach running backs!

Would I want Frank Solich back at Nebraska for a home game to honor his service to this program as a player, assistant coach, and head coach?

Absolutely! The man deserves to be recognized for the long commitment that he gave to this program for so many years.

This post says it all. Poll question is somewhat misleading. A pretty vague "back". This post covers all bases and the majority of feelings for each situation.

you need an option for "Trade Ron Brown for Frank Solich to coach the RB's"

for what reason? totally non football related personal beliefs?

When your first words to the city council are "My name is Ron Brown. I live in One Memorial Stadium" then those beliefs become football related.

• Fire 3

There's already a thread going about Ron Brown in another forum. Take the banter there.

As far as Frank Solich is concerned, this is a tiring discussion as it's been had a lot on this board. I disagreed with how things went down, but the man wasn't a great head coach and, if he had stayed here, I think we'd probably be in a worse position. Osborne hand-picking him is irrelevant in the same way that being a good football player doesn't mean you'll be a good head coach.

• Fire 1

I absolutely would like Frank to be part of this program again. I don't know that I would take him back to replace Bo because I think Bo has done a fair/mediocre job here so far. I would never have made the change in the first place back in 2003. I have many of the games on tape from Solich's stretch as HC. Our offense was really a great offense (we lacked a QB unfortunately). If you looked at the play calling and the physicality, Barney Cotton actually was a pretty darn good offensive coordinator. We were far more multiple then than we are now. When Solich finally made the decision to hire some new guys defensively you could tell that we were on the rise. Bo Pelini in my opinion belongs at the DC position. He still has a lot to figure out when it comes to being a HC, but he was top of the line as a DC. We definitely would have been a force to reckon with if that staff had been given another year and more from there. Frank, in my opinion, still represents everything good about Nebraska. I hope he has success no matter where he goes. I wonder if he could still strap on the pads and go out there, that guy was a beast in his Husker days.

Look at the numbers, the 2003 offense was worse than the 2002 offense. So just about everything you said here is statictally wrong. Here are the stats from the NU offical website.

http://www.huskers.c...5&db_oem_id=100

NU Offense NU Defense

Yards per game 373 362

Yards per rush 5.2

PPG 27 24

Turnovers 20 25

2003 NU

Offense Defense

Yards per game 345 297

Yards per rush 4.3

PPG 25 15

Turnovers 31 53 (NCAA record)

So what you see here is the the big difference is that Bo's defense came in 2003 and set an NCAA record in getting turnovers that covered for a really crappy offense.

I've got nothing but love for Frank. But he can't recruit.

I bet Urban Meyer or Bo for that matter, would have recorded at least one 2 loss season at Ohio by now. Just Sayin.

i take that back... that's not fair. ohio was nothing before frank sat in the saddle.