Ohio State and their violations

Decked

Ohio State self-reported 46 secondary violations to the NCAA over the last 11 months. That's a lot! Almost 50 secondary violations! Most of these are minor but still put a dent into the university.

Examples:

Assistant coach Mike Vrabel using smokeless tobacco on the sidelines during football games last season, which was noted and reported to Ohio State by a Columbus-area health teacher and was a secondary violation of NCAA rules against using tobacco during games or practice.

Or first-year football coach Urban Meyer, less than three weeks after he was hired, committing a secondary violation by saying "good luck" to recruit Noah Spence (Class of 2012 DE) at a game in December.

Or athletic director Gene Smith committing a secondary violation in April by filming a video message to a football recruit.

Stupid stuff. I really think these should just be taken out. Remember the text book case that happened a few months ago? How we issued the wrong textbooks to kids and broke NCAA rules stupid stuff.

Supposedly the suits at NCAA are reviewing the cumbersome rulebook. Yeah.

What they SHOULD do is throw out the entire book, and start over by putting in only the basic and easily discernible framework of enforceable rules.

Couldn't agree with you more, DiB. Some of these rules are just absolutely impossible not to break. Not to mention that they are extremely petty violations too.

I dont even get the tobbaco one it is smokeless and doesnt harm anyone but the user it would be diffrent if it were cigs.

Petty, and some really stupid, but the "Good luck" one doesn't fall into that category. Meyer truly ought to know better than to contact a recruit like that, and a recruit, not knowing that other coaches hands are tied, could easily think that Meyer is the only coach that cares enough about him to wish him good luck. If it's petty, pull it and let all coaches do it. Otherwise, enforce the rules.

Petty, and some really stupid, but the "Good luck" one doesn't fall into that category. Meyer truly ought to know better than to contact a recruit like that, and a recruit, not knowing that other coaches hands are tied, could easily think that Meyer is the only coach that cares enough about him to wish him good luck. If it's petty, pull it and let all coaches do it. Otherwise, enforce the rules.

According to Meyer, he was talking to the coach and Spence came up to the coach, he did not seek him out to say good luck.

According to Meyer, he was talking to the coach and Spence came up to the coach, he did not seek him out to say good luck.

I didnt say they where strictly for FB. I just used FB examples.

I didnt say they where strictly for FB. I just used FB examples.

Wasn't making accusations, was simply clarifying the information because it wasn't brought up.