I was accidentally a vegetarian for awhile after I gave up fast food and I really didn't miss it. I was still eating eggs and cheese though. (I should probably add that I've never been much of a hamburger fan, which is probably what would be the hardest thing to give up for most people. That and bacon).

Just a snack idea. Maybe I'm slow but I'd never thought of it before. I was eating cottage cheese regularly already when it dawned on me that I could trick myself into eating more vegetables by using it as a dip, and it's pretty good. Unless you hate cottage cheese. I just don't like buying dip with added sugar/corn syrup/weird ingredients, so cheese works well. Gonna try it with cucumbers and bell peppers next.

Just a snack idea. Maybe I'm slow but I'd never thought of it before. I was eating cottage cheese regularly already when it dawned on me that I could trick myself into eating more vegetables by using it as a dip, and it's pretty good. Unless you hate cottage cheese. I just don't like buying dip with added sugar/corn syrup/weird ingredients, so cheese works well. Gonna try it with cucumbers and bell peppers next.

That's an interesting idea. I have a hard time eating enough vegetables.

I used to drink pop all the time. Lots and lots. Now... it just doesn't appeal to me. One can a week is really about right, and even then I don't always finish it.

Same here. It's been nearly a decade since I've drank it regularly. Can't stand the stuff anymore. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a pop.

I mainly just try to watch what I eat and maintain a regular workout schedule. Snacking healthy is a good start. I dont think I have seen this mentioned in this thread but greek yogurt is really good for you. Take a tub of regular greek yogurt and add some of that hidden valley ranch powder that is commonly done in sour cream. Eat that with potato chips instead of sour cream, or even better use tortilla chips or your favorite dipping vegetable. Great snack.

Plain (unsweetened/flavored) greek yogurt with your own fruits (say, an orange - citrusy stuff is nice) and some raw nuts for crunchiness - is excellent as well.

I have to add fruit to my greek yogurt, tried eating it plain once...almost puked

Yogurts vary in the amount of calories they have. Some have only 90, while other (Danon) have 170. Still, I can get by on a single yogurt for breakfast. Which is an incredibly low-cal meal. I sometimes put a handful of Grapenuts in my yogurt. In fact, Grapenuts by itself isn't a bad choice. And milk of course.

Six years ago I topped the scale at 350 lbs. I'm now at 202 and owe my success to an author and lecturer Covert Bailey. His book and video series is called 'Fit or Fat.' Eat right exercise at least 3 times a week. Measure your percent of body fat, this is a very important number. You want to be at 12 to13 %. Don't rely on the simple insurance company manner of telling you how much you should weigh, i.e. if you are 5' 10" you should weigh 185. That's crap. If you are 6' 3" and you have 35 lbs of body fat and you are at 13% then you can weigh as much as 269. If you are at 200 and are at 13% then you would have 26 lbs. of body fat and 174 lbs. of lean body mass. Give Covert a chance his formula is fairly simple, sane and healthy. You will lose 2 to 3 lbs a week and you will feel great. Don't skip meals when you do that your body thinks its starving and will store fat as a source of fuel for your inner engine.

Good luck.

T_O_B

• Fire 1

I cut out refined sugars, flour and most dairy products except for grass fed butter. I eat 2 good size meals a day because I eat when I am hungry. In addition, I typically have 1 cheat meal or at times, cheat day once a week. I am dropping about 2lbs per week, exactly the rate I want to drop at and I am looking leaner in the mirror. I pretty much follow a Paleo type diet and it has worked very well for me and others.

• Fire 1

Six years ago I topped the scale at 350 lbs. I'm now at 202 and owe my success to an author and lecturer Covert Bailey. His book and video series is called 'Fit or Fat.' Eat right exercise at least 3 times a week. Measure your percent of body fat, this is a very important number. You want to be at 12 to13 %. Don't rely on the simple insurance company manner of telling you how much you should weigh, i.e. if you are 5' 10" you should weigh 185. That's crap. If you are 6' 3" and you have 35 lbs of body fat and you are at 13% then you can weigh as much as 269. If you are at 200 and are at 13% then you would have 26 lbs. of body fat and 174 lbs. of lean body mass. Give Covert a chance his formula is fairly simple, sane and healthy. You will lose 2 to 3 lbs a week and you will feel great. Don't skip meals when you do that your body thinks its starving and will store fat as a source of fuel for your inner engine.

Good luck.

T_O_B

Dang, TOB! That is truly impressive! A testament to your will power. I'm 6'3" and hovering at 200lbs right now. I could stand to shed a few more lbs, to around 190 or so. And maybe put on a little bit of muscle. Just firm up a bit, I don't aspire to put on muscle mass. Svelte and fit is what I'm shooting for.

How do you measure body fat? Is there a way to do it at home, or do you need special equipment?

I cut out refined sugars, flour and most dairy products except for grass fed butter. I eat 2 good size meals a day because I eat when I am hungry. In addition, I typically have 1 cheat meal or at times, cheat day once a week. I am dropping about 2lbs per week, exactly the rate I want to drop at and I am looking leaner in the mirror. I pretty much follow a Paleo type diet and it has worked very well for me and others.

Sounds like you have self control.... Not sure I have that much self control.

I just watch the calorie intake.. I am down to 233 and probably the lowest I have been in like 7 years... I still have a keg for a belly, but it is going down.

My biggest problem is getting in a groove.. Once i do that, it is not hard to keep eating healthy because I am in a good schedule.

I will fall off and eat crappy here and there.. but my plan is get down to about 200-215 and then start lifting and toning... trying to go from fat to skinny to fit to toned to ripped...

Actually.. probably just be fit.

Good luck.

T_O_B

Good luck.

T_O_B

I had always heard that.. but recently I read on Yahoo! that you would need to miss quite a few meals for your body to start storing fat.. it would take like 2-3 weeks of doing that to cause the storage mode.... Mainly it is a good idea to get on a good eating habit because your body will burn more calories and have higher metabolism that way.. or so I have heard.