Just a friendly reminder big brother is watching you starting July 12th

If you're a customer of Comcast, Cablevision, Time Warner, Verizon, AT&T and some other Internet service providers you better be a little more discreet about visiting file sharing sites come July 12th. I'm shocked that I can't find a news article on this dated after the middle of March. The ISPs have an agreement with RIAA and MPAA to monitor your IP address for "digital piracy".

From what little I've been able to find it seems that you don't even have to download copyrighted material to receive warning/punishment. As long as your IP visited a known site that host questionable material and had some kind of data transfer you could be receiving a letter in the mail and eventually slowed or terminated service.

http://www.foxnews.c...arting-july-12/

http://www.rawstory....eme-on-july-12/

Is that more for movies and music? I download TV shows at time.

As far as I can tell it's indiscriminate, because the programs were created and implemented voluntarily by the ISPs. But of course they had the usual suspects pushing for it in the RIAA and MPAA, so movies and music will no doubt be heavily targeted. I think most tech savvy people could get around these programs with proxy and the like, so it's really more of an inconvenience. I guess this has been going on in Europe for sometime and it's only had about a 1 to 4% decrease in pirating, which doesn't fit well with the cost to benefit analysis people.

Is that more for movies and music? I download TV shows at time.

As far as I can tell it's indiscriminate, because the programs were created and implemented voluntarily by the ISPs. But of course they had the usual suspects pushing for it in the RIAA and MPAA, so movies and music will no doubt be heavily targeted. I think most tech savvy people could get around these programs with proxy and the like, so it's really more of an inconvenience. I guess this has been going on in Europe for sometime and it's only had about a 1 to 4% decrease in pirating, which doesn't fit well with the cost to benefit analysis people.

interesting. I use utorrentz.com all the time, Hmmmm

I love this:

Customers found to be illegally downloading copyrighted material will first receive one or two notifications from their ISPs, essentially stating that they have been caught. If the illegal downloads continue, subscribers will receive a new notice requesting acknowledgement that the notice has been received. Subsequent offenses can then result in bandwidth throttling and even service suspension.

Offense 1 & 2: We caught you!

Offense 3: Did you receive our notice?

Offense 4: We're super-serious this time!

I love this:

Customers found to be illegally downloading copyrighted material will first receive one or two notifications from their ISPs, essentially stating that they have been caught. If the illegal downloads continue, subscribers will receive a new notice requesting acknowledgement that the notice has been received. Subsequent offenses can then result in bandwidth throttling and even service suspension.

You don't have to really begin worrying until they bring in dean Wormer and put you on double secret probation....

I love this:

It reminds me of the U.N. and Hillary Clinton on their stance on Syria. "We condemn you killing civilians!" Next day..."You killed children!" Now we STRONGLY condemn this!" Next day..."You killed more civilians! Don't make us condemn this even more!"

The way the RIAA and MPAA have lost customers :D or gave them incentive to find alternatives that they can't monitor. Just like the governments, one step behind. Nature of the beastie

Yeah, I remember when the whole 'napster' thing was going down, thinking to myself, 'This isn't going to change anything in the RIAA's favor. This medium is here to stay whether they like it or not. We'll see if the RIAA makes the right moves to envelop and develop this change in music society.'

They managed to do absolutely everything wrong.