Offensive Tempo

After watching the first year of Tim Beck's offense, we saw a lot of different things from him. We also saw some similar things that we ran last year that we ran with Shawn Watson. I don't want this to be a "offensive philosophy" thread, but I want to talk about the tempo of the offense.

What did everyone think of the no-huddle, up-speed, multiple-tempo offense? Did you guys like it? Hate it? Indifferent? Want to go back to a huddle? Should we add more signs like Oregon and use Pony's instead? Hire back Shawn Watson?

I remember reading a quote from either Martinez or Beck [i think it was Beck] after the first few games when we started the no-huddle tempo. Beck, I believe, said something that we have "different speeds" of running the offense and calling in the plays. He said there were different gears and speeds they can run it, and they could run it "much faster" than we saw on that day, which was probably the first game of the year.

Personally, I liked the way Beck went about calling the offense last year in regards to the tempo [and philosophy but that's a different thread]. I like how Beck would be up in the skybox, see the play develop, and relay the plays from above down to the field. In a way, it was like how we've been running the offense since 2004, but the tempo was much higher, and it showed with how quickly we lined up.

But because of the way Beck and Bo want balanace, I think we need Beck in the press-box so he can see more, as opposed to our old offenses where it wasn't neccesary to have someone in the press-box overseeing every play.

Although it was not on the level of an "Oregeon-Blur" offense, I think it suits us well given our offensive talent is based on a mix of speed and power. It seemed our offense worked more efficient the faster we called the plays in, as at the end of the play, guys were looking toward the side-line, read the signs, got the play, and we were lined up ready to go again within seconds as guys subbed in and out quickly.

It's just another way to wear out a defense, and we as Husker fans know all about wearing out opposing defenses.

I'm guessing Bo saw how some offenses ran their spread/no-huddle against him in previous years, especially Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in 2010, that he decided to incorporate it himself for the offense. Oklahoma State in 2010 was ridiculous against a very solid Nebraska defense, and Oklahoma in the Big XII title game simply wore our defense out, but our offense in the 2nd half didn't do the defense any favors.

I want to see the up-speed tempo continue to keep defenses gassed, off-balance, and would welcome more of it under Beck.

However, I believe if we are up by 7 or 10 or something to that effect, especially up in the 4th quarter, we need to slow it down, and possibly even come out of a huddle to wind the clock down in our favor. We should use the tempo to get up in the game, or to come back, but once we are in a comfortable situation, I think we should use our slowest gear to grind it out and frustrate opponents as to not getting used to the tempo we are running. We don't need to run a high-tempo offense especially if we are struggling on the road, or trying to close a game out. I think the tempo should be predicated on situation and how the offense is performing.

What do you think Husker Nation? Should we continue and expand on it, or go back to more of a traditional offensive play-calling and tempo?

• Fire 1

The faster we run the offense the better I like it. Running the offense at high speed, like what Oregon and Oklahoma State do, absolutely kills a defense so by the middle of the third quarter they're pretty much done. The only weapon that defenses have is substitution to try and keep guys fresh but that's a tricky situation to pull off sometimes. Referees should be able to throw a flag and penalize a defense 15 yards and an automatic first down for doing bs like that. Michigan did it to us several times last season and of course there's the infamous Cal injury faking scandal against the Ducks a couple of seasons ago.

I think that if a player goes down, stalls the game, and then comes right back in after the next play then there's obviously faking going on. And if that's the case then the player should be held out for an entire quarter. This faking injuries and then coming back in on the next play with clearly nothing wrong is utter bs and needs to stop.

too often, we didn't run a true no huddle offense. yes, we lined up quickly, then the qb looked to the sidline for a play, then we shifted into a different formation and finally snapped the ball....yes, we kept the other team from substituting personnel, which is important, but true up tempo?.......not so much.

When Chip Kelly ran his first practice as a head coach for the Ducks he had some assistant coaches come up and say something like "Wow, that is the fastest I have ever seen a practice run"

Kelly replied something like "Really? That is the slowest I have ever had one run"

I think the point is, its about reps and practice speed, this year, I imagine, will be much much faster

I thought our no-huddle or hurry up was mostly effective last year. I think we need to expand on it and keep making adjustments that both the players and coaches are comfortable with. There are times though when huddling up can be very good for a team too, especially if the game isn't going your way and the players need to refocus. (This is where team leaders really need to make their voice heard).

What I would love to see us use is a no-huddle or hurry up power rushing offense out of multiple I-formation sets. Have the base plays be ISO, Power O runs, and Counters off of those plays. Then have our passing game consist of play-action passes and quick drop backs. Sprinkle in the option here and there, along with some Draws and Screens, and I think this could be a very dangerous offense with Martinez, Burkhead, Reed, Bell, etc.

One thing that has been proven over the years, if your offense is gashing the defense on the ground gaining 3-4 yards per rush in the 1st half, the defense will absolutely start to fade and become gassed in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure that fast tempo offense is a good match with our "bend but don't break" defense. The opponents grinds down the clock usually getting 3 or 4 1st downs and settling for a FG or punt. We get the ball, run two running plays for 8 yds then throw an incomplete pass (bad throw or dropped by our WR) and then punt. The opponent grind another 4 or 5 1st downs, etc.

We're going to get crazy bad TOP unless Bo's blackshirts tighten up in a big way.

I'm not sure that fast tempo offense is a good match with our "bend but don't break" defense. The opponents grinds down the clock usually getting 3 or 4 1st downs and settling for a FG or punt. We get the ball, run two running plays for 8 yds then throw an incomplete pass (bad throw or dropped by our WR) and then punt. The opponent grind another 4 or 5 1st downs, etc.

We're going to get crazy bad TOP unless Bo's blackshirts tighten up in a big way.

I think last year's defensive struggles were an anomoly. Keep in mind that after the 2010 season we lost three guys from our secondary, one a 1st rounder, to the NFL. No team loses that kind of talent, has three inexperienced players starting for the first time the following season, and sees the defense just continue on at the same level.

Ask oregon about TOP

I think the B10 is moving to a quicker game. We're going to run a faster paced offense. Urb will be running one, I have a feeling Penn State will also move that way. And IU, Minn are also trending that way with the QBs they have recruited even though it might take them longer to get there. I still have Minn as my sleeper team. I would say they have one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the B10 if he's not maybe higher. If that guy ever gets the players that OSU, MU, NU etc get we're going to have our hands full for a very long time.

After watching the first year of Tim Beck's offense, we saw a lot of different things from him. We also saw some similar things that we ran last year that we ran with Shawn Watson. I don't want this to be a "offensive philosophy" thread, but I want to talk about the tempo of the offense.

What did everyone think of the no-huddle, up-speed, multiple-tempo offense? Did you guys like it? Hate it? Indifferent? Want to go back to a huddle? Should we add more signs like Oregon and use Pony's instead? Hire back Shawn Watson?

I remember reading a quote from either Martinez or Beck [i think it was Beck] after the first few games when we started the no-huddle tempo. Beck, I believe, said something that we have "different speeds" of running the offense and calling in the plays. He said there were different gears and speeds they can run it, and they could run it "much faster" than we saw on that day, which was probably the first game of the year.

Personally, I liked the way Beck went about calling the offense last year in regards to the tempo [and philosophy but that's a different thread]. I like how Beck would be up in the skybox, see the play develop, and relay the plays from above down to the field. In a way, it was like how we've been running the offense since 2004, but the tempo was much higher, and it showed with how quickly we lined up.

But because of the way Beck and Bo want balanace, I think we need Beck in the press-box so he can see more, as opposed to our old offenses where it wasn't neccesary to have someone in the press-box overseeing every play.

Although it was not on the level of an "Oregeon-Blur" offense, I think it suits us well given our offensive talent is based on a mix of speed and power. It seemed our offense worked more efficient the faster we called the plays in, as at the end of the play, guys were looking toward the side-line, read the signs, got the play, and we were lined up ready to go again within seconds as guys subbed in and out quickly.

It's just another way to wear out a defense, and we as Husker fans know all about wearing out opposing defenses.

I'm guessing Bo saw how some offenses ran their spread/no-huddle against him in previous years, especially Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in 2010, that he decided to incorporate it himself for the offense. Oklahoma State in 2010 was ridiculous against a very solid Nebraska defense, and Oklahoma in the Big XII title game simply wore our defense out, but our offense in the 2nd half didn't do the defense any favors.

I want to see the up-speed tempo continue to keep defenses gassed, off-balance, and would welcome more of it under Beck.

However, I believe if we are up by 7 or 10 or something to that effect, especially up in the 4th quarter, we need to slow it down, and possibly even come out of a huddle to wind the clock down in our favor. We should use the tempo to get up in the game, or to come back, but once we are in a comfortable situation, I think we should use our slowest gear to grind it out and frustrate opponents as to not getting used to the tempo we are running. We don't need to run a high-tempo offense especially if we are struggling on the road, or trying to close a game out. I think the tempo should be predicated on situation and how the offense is performing.

What do you think Husker Nation? Should we continue and expand on it, or go back to more of a traditional offensive play-calling and tempo?

+1 for Ponies

Not impressed with Tim Beck so far so I'm not even worried about the tempo of our offense. I just want to halfway see an 'offense' start to form.

I thought Beck did a better job of playcalling in his 1st year than Solich ever did, so I'm actually excited to see what he comes up with. Of course, playcalling doesn't mean jack if the offensive line doesn't figure out how to be physical and stop making boneheaded mistakes.