Gay Lincoln Woman Assaulted, Slurs Cut into Skin

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120722/NEWS/120729858/1685#gay-lincoln-woman-says-attackers-cut-slurs-into-her-skin

The woman called police around 4 a.m. Sunday, saying men wearing black ski masks had broken into her home, according to Lincoln police.

She told police the men assaulted her — binding her hands and carving words into her skin with a knife — and then set fire to the house.

“They carved on me,” Thompson said her friend tearfully told her.

Thompson said three epithets, including the word “dyke,” were carved on the woman’s arms and stomach.

“I’m not going back in the closet,” she said. “You’re not going to scare me back.”

This news made my stomach turn. The police didn't say if it was being investigated as a hate crime or not, that stance better change quickly. This is textbook hate crime straight out of 1919.

Sounds suspiciously like lots of other hoaxes that are becoming more common these days. If true, the perps need to be caught and punished - severely. Two things that bother be about the case, the lady was tied up and her house was set afire. That could have killed her. I consider murder a more serious crime. Second thing - the fire only caused $200 in damages. Curious and curiouser...

• Fire 1

Odd that the police haven't released any statement on this incident. I would expect, at the very least, a description of the alleged attackers. Clearly there are a lot of details we're not getting yet.

I think we're going to have a Paul Harvey moment on this case.

If this does turn out to be some sort of hoax--and it seems like it could go either way right now--then it will be interesting to see what her many supporters do. I wonder if some will still support her even though her act (faking a hate crime) tends to reduce the credibility of actual hate crimes.

Sounds suspiciously like lots of other hoaxes that are becoming more common these days. If true, the perps need to be caught and punished - severely. Two things that bother be about the case, the lady was tied up and her house was set afire. That could have killed her. I consider murder a more serious crime. Second thing - the fire only caused $200 in damages. Curious and curiouser...

I wouldnt take too much into that if it came from the police report. I was in a car accident once where the police report stated $250 dollars in damages. It ended up costing me about $4000 to fix.

If true it will almostcertainly be attempted murder.

I don't believe that hate crimes can be committed against gays in Nebraska. Pretty sad.

If you're saying that Nebraska hate crime laws don't cover sexual orientation, that's not the case - they do.

Do they? I know that gays can be discriminated against as far as housing is concerned, so I just made the leap.

I don't believe that hate crimes can be committed against gays in Nebraska. Pretty sad.

If you're saying that Nebraska hate crime laws don't cover sexual orientation, that's not the case - they do.

Do they? I know that gays can be discriminated against as far as housing is concerned, so I just made the leap.

Hate crimes and equal protection are separate issues. And Omaha (and I think Lincoln) did pass an ordinance making it illegal to discriminate on sexual orientation

What are the "lots of hoaxes" you're talking about?

Are there many cases I'm unaware of several LGBT people claiming to be assaulted but actually making it all up?

Are there many cases I'm unaware of several LGBT people claiming to be assaulted but actually making it all up?

I said nothing about LGBT hoaxes...Here are some of the hoaxes I was talking about. 1) Tawana Brawley: everyone knows about this one in 1987. 2) Charles Stuart: Stuart and his pregnant wife Carol were driving in Boston in 1989, a black gunman supposedly forced his way into the car and shot them both, hitting Carol in the head and killing her eventually. After suspicions rose, Stuart committed suicide. 3) Susan Smith: In October 1994, in South Carolina, Smith drowned her sons by putting them in her car and letting it roll into John D. Long Lake. She called the police and stated that an armed black man had hijacked her car with her two sons inside. After an extensive manhunt, Smith confessed that she had killed her sons. 4) Duke Lacrosse Team 5) Harvard Hate Mail Hoax: Hate-filled emails were supposedly received by four people at Harvard in April 2007. The source of the emails was one of the people who "received" them. 6) Black Church Arson: In 1996, the Southern Poverty Law Center claimed white supremacists were burning black churches across the south. In fact, the increase was in white church arsons. 7) University of Wisconsin-Parkside Black Hit List: A black student supposedly found a noose hanging in a dorm suite and a "hit list" of black students in February 2012 that were targeted "to die." The black student who who found it was the person wrote it and hung the noose.

There are many others. Google "black noose hoax" and you will see...as for LGBT hoaxes, google "LGBT hoaxes."

• Fire 1

I said nothing about LGBT hoaxes...Here are some of the hoaxes I was talking about. 1) Tawana Brawley: everyone knows about this one in 1987. 2) Charles Stuart: Stuart and his pregnant wife Carol were driving in Boston in 1989, a black gunman supposedly forced his way into the car and shot them both, hitting Carol in the head and killing her eventually. After suspicions rose, Stuart committed suicide. 3) Susan Smith: In October 1994, in South Carolina, Smith drowned her sons by putting them in her car and letting it roll into John D. Long Lake. She called the police and stated that an armed black man had hijacked her car with her two sons inside. After an extensive manhunt, Smith confessed that she had killed her sons. 4) Duke Lacrosse Team 5) Harvard Hate Mail Hoax: Hate-filled emails were supposedly received by four people at Harvard in April 2007. The source of the emails was one of the people who "received" them. 6) Black Church Arson: In 1996, the Southern Poverty Law Center claimed white supremacists were burning black churches across the south. In fact, the increase was in white church arsons. 7) University of Wisconsin-Parkside Black Hit List: A black student supposedly found a noose hanging in a dorm suite and a "hit list" of black students in February 2012 that were targeted "to die." The black student who who found it was the person wrote it and hung the noose.

There are many others. Google "black noose hoax" and you will see...as for LGBT hoaxes, google "LGBT hoaxes."

so these "commonly daily" hoaxes are occuring over the course of 1987 to 2012? More specifically 7 occurences over the course of 25 years? Of course, I know you said these are just examples (the majority seeming to be "black noose hoaxes" which have nothing to do with the LGBT community). So you must have thousands or even hundreds more currently related attempts to substantiate a reason why we should consider this recent claim as dubious, correct?

• Fire 4