So now that you have been part of the B10 for a year

with how much we grew to hate the big 12 (i almost just typed texas on accident), it would be hard for anything else not to be better. that bitter taste from the big 12 will linger for quite some time.

also, the new schedule is still exciting and i think the B1G is such a great fit for NU.

Becoming a member of the CIC alone made this a move we had to make. Of course it's nice to go to a con that is stable, well-run, team-oriented, and has great tv/bowl deals.

On the field it was a tougher transition than folks probably expected. BIG defenses are generally speaking better than 12 defenses. The offenses aren't better but they weren't what we were used to or built to stop. BIG offenses tend to be more physical run-oriented O's with mobile qb's. Mobile qb's really gave us problems. We should be more ready this time around.

Eh, if not for the joke that the Big 12 turned into the last couple years I'd prefer it. I'd much rather be in the stronger conference and the Big 10 has been damn weak for a while, also beating the piss out of Kansas St. every year pleased me a lot for some reason.

I really like the move to the B1G. Reputation wise, monetary value wise, and the style of football. Fans are fans, I think they are in the same in almost every major conference except the SEC.

If I wanted to win CCG's solely, I'd probably prefer the Big 12. The B1G will be much harder for us to win, IMO. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin. vs. Texas/Oklahoma (usual contenders) essentially.

ran into an Iowa fan at the bar here in KC a couple days ago. he let me know that we aren't very welcome in the B1G, and that we are about to get a dose of reality to what football really is. that's likely what's been the most tiring thing about the move personally...listening to all these B1G people talk crap on how weak the Big 12 is and how we are just now going to find out how to play real football. I think that Wisconsin showing hurt us from a perception standpoint far more than we could have imagined.

But the Big 12 had 3 different teams in 7 of 14 BCS title games, and won 2 of them. The B1G had 1 team in 3 title games and only has a single championship. No one claims the Big12 is the SEC, but I get tired of hearing about how the B1G measures up to the SEC and the Big12 we were a part of was a second or third tier conference. Disfunctional yes. But not competitive...hardly.

He then went on to lump Iowa in with Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State when he talked about the "tough" teams so he lost all legitimacy...but still it's the same song and dance from most of the other fans I've talked to. Like we crashed their party. I asked him if he though Frerentz was going to get him over the hump in an effort to have a legitimate conversation. (same question we ask of Pelini after winning 9,10,10,9 games). He asked me what hump - as if there is nothing wrong with their program, asked if I meant beating Nebraska. I let him know that hasn't been done in some time, I was just talking about maybe winning 8-9 games consistently. He didn't say much after that.

It certainly makes you realize

a) how lucky we are to have the 9 and 10 wins each year,

b) either how delusional we are as a fan base to think that we are stuck in a rut, or how delusional Iowa's fan base is to think that they aren't. (I'll go with the latter, and maybe a small dose of the former.)

ran into an Iowa fan at the bar here in KC a couple days ago. he let me know that we aren't very welcome in the B1G, and that we are about to get a dose of reality to what football really is. that's likely what's been the most tiring thing about the move personally...listening to all these B1G people talk crap on how weak the Big 12 is and how we are just now going to find out how to play real football. I think that Wisconsin showing hurt us from a perception standpoint far more than we could have imagined.

But the Big 12 had 3 different teams in 7 of 14 BCS title games, and won 2 of them. The B1G had 1 team in 3 title games and only has a single championship. No one claims the Big12 is the SEC, but I get tired of hearing about how the B1G measures up to the SEC and the Big12 we were a part of was a second or third tier conference. Disfunctional yes. But not competitive...hardly.

He then went on to lump Iowa in with Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio State when he talked about the "tough" teams so he lost all legitimacy...but still it's the same song and dance from most of the other fans I've talked to. Like we crashed their party. I asked him if he though Frerentz was going to get him over the hump in an effort to have a legitimate conversation. (same question we ask of Pelini after winning 9,10,10,9 games). He asked me what hump - as if there is nothing wrong with their program, asked if I meant beating Nebraska. I let him know that hasn't been done in some time, I was just talking about maybe winning 8-9 games consistently. He didn't say much after that.

It certainly makes you realize

a) how lucky we are to have the 9 and 10 wins each year,

b) either how delusional we are as a fan base to think that we are stuck in a rut, or how delusional Iowa's fan base is to think that they aren't. (I'll go with the latter, and maybe a small dose of the former.)

This is Iowa. Right here. And people wonder why I consider them a glorified Colorado team. So ridiculous.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if it was up to me. However, that's purely from a football fan point of view. The university has other bigger interests to look out for and the B1G is the better place to be in terms of that. So overall, the move is good. But looking at the football landscape - I'd prefer the Big 12. I've maintained that from the very beginning and the recent scandals and Delaney debacles have only strengthened my feelings.

We're so hypocritical to make fun of the B1G for decades, yet when we join all of a sudden it's the best conference ever. I still despise it. Bring on Texas and OU imo.

I'm kind of a mixed bag. I like the idea of the big games from traditional powers of football. The B10 has the probably the teams with the richest history of greats in it. I also like that everyone seems to try and look out for the other teams and the $$ from both scholastic and athletic sides is much greater and evenly split.

I do however dislike the feeling that we're more stuck in the past in this league. the B12 always felt more up and coming with excitement. But it was full of douche bag teams and everyone pretty much would stab you in the back or try to reach into your pocket and take your last dollar. There was power at the school level and not the conference level so things were bitter. As far as fans go I will say I think the B10 has worse fans than the B12 by far. Almost everyone of them were pompous, arrogant, a holes who's sh#t didn't stink. They don't really have mid-west values like Nebraska. I had hopped they were more like Tenn fans but they were more Texas fans top to bottom.

We're so hypocritical to make fun of the B1G for decades, yet when we join all of a sudden it's the best conference ever. I still despise it. Bring on Texas and OU imo.

I agree completely. I grew up hating the B1G, not because I was jealous or they were a superior conference, it was just how I was raised. Now that Nebraska is in the B1G I am forced to cheer for them. It was the hardest thing for me to do last year. I assume it will get easier as time passes. I found myself last year still watching Big 12 games because I enjoy that style of play compared to the B1G. I am still happy we made the move, though, with all the turmoil the Big 12 has gone through recently.

I agree with a lot of what the previous three posts say. In my ignorant opinion, the Big10 is a step down in every sport except volleyball from a competition aspect. Not that we have been close for a decade, but getting to the BCS title game has never seemed so far away as it did after we joined the Big10.

But at least our new conference has some great marketing gurus and that kumbayah spirit ;)