Dobson was at Big Red Dinner Tonight

I attended the big red dinner this evening with Dobson as the special guest. Was pretty informative about the strength, conditioning, and nutritional aspects of the program.

Lots of talk on how they are building football players, not sprinters, lifters, etc. That football players have a very specific set of needs that translate into a very specific type of workout. Power, acceleration, etc.

They are doing lots of work on football specific drills. Sounds like emphasis on 4-8 seconds high intensity work, with 20 seconds of rest, repeated over the course of 60 minutes - very similar to typical game conditions. He sounded like they are really focusing on game management and speed offense, with the goal of being better conditioned and wearing out the other team.

Said that they place very low emphasis on 40 yard dash, bench, etc. That they do not feel that the "combine" exercises translate into good football players. He did say that they emphasize the olympic power lifts. He talked about strength vs power, and that a person could have a monstrous bench, but not be as powerful in the exertion of force. And that they were developing that power and speed.

Dobson said that the new director of nutrition is very popular with the players. The players had seen very good results when listening to his advice, and actually petitioned the athletic department to hire him.

He mentioned that player camaraderie was high and that even a lot of ex-players were coming back to work out.

Some good quotes about new freshman. Apparently, Dobson is most impressed with Cross, Armstrong, and Whitaker. He said that Cross looks like he's 30 years old and has been lifting weights his whole life. Was very impressed with how far along he is compared to most freshmen. Also said that Armstrong was very vocal he was and has demonstrated immediate leadership over team members. Lots of players have been saying good things about Armstrong apparently. Whitaker was looking very good too and had already put on 15 pounds of good weight.

Said when his daughter is 18, he hopes she brings a guy like Burkhead home as a boyfriend. Also noted that Rex's mother told Dobson's 8-year old daughter that Rex could babysit anytime they needed. So she now requests Rex with alarming regularity.

Dobson is also looking forward the the Iowa game this year - lots of old acquaintances from his 9 years there.

If I think of more, I'll post. 35 days more...

• Fire 3

Looks like i wasnt the only one who thought that about Cross. Dude does not look like a freshman

OUZZFHONOGEGKOP.20120719141311.JPG

why did you post a picture of a man who clearly graduated college years ago....wait a minute....

He does look to be about 25 or 26 yrs. old.

What did you have to eat?

Turkey/Stuffing, Sausage, Fried Chicken, Scalloped Potatoes, New Potatoes, Pasta Salad, Green Beans, and Dinner Rolls.

Crouch was there too and took his plate down like a man. Dobson was there from 6:00 til past 10 and never ate. I'm guessing the man stays away from that sort of food.

Turkey/Stuffing, Sausage, Fried Chicken, Scalloped Potatoes, New Potatoes, Pasta Salad, Green Beans, and Dinner Rolls.

Crouch was there too and took his plate down like a man. Dobson was there from 6:00 til past 10 and never ate. I'm guessing the man stays away from that sort of food.

So what does Crouch do now that he's done with the nighthawks?

I am sure he is super busy, you know, being a former Husker great in Nebraska!

Actually, he let us in on his newest venture - saying that we were the first public to know. I suppose that if he's letting a room of 200 people know, I can tell you guys, this being huskerboard and all.

He got hired on as a analyst/announcer (can't remember what he called it) on one of the football networks. Fox I believe. Said he'd be working with another guy they just hired whose name I can't remember and didn't recognize. It was the same Network that Eddie George works on, and that Crouch would be working with George. If I wasn't supposed to say that sorry Crouchman.

He also said that he is very busy with his family life. He talk about his football career, and said that he had been very injury prone. Seems last year after his first Nighthawk game, he sustained an injury that required surgery. He also said that he is a distributor in a five state area for medical supplies. He said something about implants, so who you can take form that what you will.

I've never heard Crouch speak, but after hearing him, I have a lot of respect for the guy. Was very well spoken, sincere, and even self depreciating. Seems like a really good guy. Definitely heads and shoulders above another former quarterback I've come across...