Manufactured Controversy?

Alright, I know my expertise is in an individual sport, but the psychology of performance is universal. That is why you hear coaches talk about "the process" so much. Focusing on the results of any particular activity impedes the focus of accomplishing the goal. Motivation is hard to standardize.

Yes, everyone wants consistent effort, but humans have emotions. ISU loss and Shorttusk loss at home were opposite sides of the same coin. ISU was overconfidence that lead to lack of focus on even the simplest of fundamentals, holding on to the ball. Shorttusk loss was an excess of desire that lead to the lack of focus on the simplest of fundamentals, catching the ball. Rex doesn't drop that ball in practice.

Here is an example that I am familiar with: a 2foot putt. Every professional practices them, they usually aren't very hard, until the US Open is on the line, then it is indescribable how much harder that 2footer is. Which putt would have more "want to"? Which would you make 10 out of 10 times? Ask Mickelson or Doug Sanders? There are certain types of individuals who thrive on that pressure. They are few and far between. Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Tommie Frazier. Thing is, even these special individuals didn't get it done every time. It wasn't because they didn't want to. Excrement happens. Gotta deal with it and take your best shot next time. Focus on the process that will give you your best shot for success the next time the opportunity arises.

All apologies if this post is mucked up, doing it on my phone from Nova Scotia.

This was well worth the read, so I divided it up into paragraphs for you :)

I can't wait for the offseason to be over so that not every thread ends up being a GIF fest. That might be optimistic of me, though...:lol:

Thanks Zoogies. I'm usually pretty good with the grammar, but I can't see what I'm typing from my phone. The keyboard blocks the space where the text is going. Nothing wrong with the optimism of gif free threads, as long as your expectations are low.

Manufactured or genuine, controversy sells. People like to get worked up. Especially Huskers fans in August. What are ya gonna do? This is where I would like to put popcorn emoticon.

Alright, I know my expertise is in an individual sport, but the psychology of performance is universal. That is why you hear coaches talk about "the process" so much. Focusing on the results of any particular activity impedes the focus of accomplishing the goal. Motivation is hard to standardize.

Yes, everyone wants consistent effort, but humans have emotions. ISU loss and Shorttusk loss at home were opposite sides of the same coin. ISU was overconfidence that lead to lack of focus on even the simplest of fundamentals, holding on to the ball. Shorttusk loss was an excess of desire that lead to the lack of focus on the simplest of fundamentals, catching the ball. Rex doesn't drop that ball in practice.

Here is an example that I am familiar with: a 2foot putt. Every professional practices them, they usually aren't very hard, until the US Open is on the line, then it is indescribable how much harder that 2footer is. Which putt would have more "want to"? Which would you make 10 out of 10 times? Ask Mickelson or Doug Sanders? There are certain types of individuals who thrive on that pressure. They are few and far between. Michael Jordan, Jack Nicklaus, Tommie Frazier. Thing is, even these special individuals didn't get it done every time. It wasn't because they didn't want to. Excrement happens. Gotta deal with it and take your best shot next time. Focus on the process that will give you your best shot for success the next time the opportunity arises.

All apologies if this post is mucked up, doing it on my phone from Nova Scotia.

This was well worth the read, so I divided it up into paragraphs for you :)

I can't wait for the offseason to be over so that not every thread ends up being a GIF fest. That might be optimistic of me, though... :lol:

Amen brother. The sooner the better.

I gotta say, I really really liked this thread.

I think it is therapeutic to discuss our really tough losses and try to pin it on wanting it more or less, et al.

my .02 comes from here:

when u are young playing up through high school, a lot of times "wanting it more" really does help win games. Emotion and momentum and passion makes huge difference. A lot of times, it can carry through for most of the game. Players rise up and make plays they haven't ever made before because they want it so bad. Players that are not as good as other players do better because they want it more.

Now, on this high of a level (Div1) passion, wanting it more, desire, all that...it matters all week in preparations and practice.

It matters in pregame, it matters during the locker room speech, it maters during the tunnel walk. But as soon as the ball is kicked off and you make that first hit, you better dial in and get focused and execute the game plan, hold onto the ball, keep emotions in check (don't et too high or too low), adjust on the fly, etc....because everyone is good out there and they ALL "want it"

IF a play or a few plays come along (4th and short, mono e mono on a block, ball up in the air on a hail Mary) oftentimes the guy who wants it more makes THAT play; which could determine the outcome of the other 59 minutes of play, if it's a close game or whatever.

I think what Peter, Jason was trying to say (maybe) is that when you get dialed in and you're totally playing for your teammates and coaches and blocking all else out...you play EVERY play like you want it more. You play every play like its your last, you dive head first so to speak, you sell out for every gall-darn inch of your being. Whether youre faster ,stronger, taller, whatever...you just lay it out there everyday. And whoever can do that (Suh, David, Wistrom, Peter, Macko) knowing full well his teammates are going to do the same, then yes...you are all playing as if you "want it more".

And it does make a difference when the clock strikes zero.

And if you lose? At least you Know you and every other player on your team gave it balls deep. I think we've seen since Callahan that not all players were playing that way (I thnk is getting better though) and that's more what he was talking about.

But wanting it more doesn't mean jack-sh#t if you don't execute and dial in. Follow the plan, play within the team and do your job...which is to play every dang play like you "want it more"

"you put that helmet with that N on the side of it, on your head; and you feel like there isn't anything that you can't do"

• Fire 1

I gotta say, I really really liked this thread.

I think it is therapeutic to discuss our really tough losses and try to pin it on wanting it more or less, et al.

my .02 comes from here:

when u are young playing up through high school, a lot of times "wanting it more" really does help win games. Emotion and momentum and passion makes huge difference. A lot of times, it can carry through for most of the game. Players rise up and make plays they haven't ever made before because they want it so bad. Players that are not as good as other players do better because they want it more.

Now, on this high of a level (Div1) passion, wanting it more, desire, all that...it matters all week in preparations and practice.

It matters in pregame, it matters during the locker room speech, it maters during the tunnel walk. But as soon as the ball is kicked off and you make that first hit, you better dial in and get focused and execute the game plan, hold onto the ball, keep emotions in check (don't et too high or too low), adjust on the fly, etc....because everyone is good out there and they ALL "want it"

IF a play or a few plays come along (4th and short, mono e mono on a block, ball up in the air on a hail Mary) oftentimes the guy who wants it more makes THAT play; which could determine the outcome of the other 59 minutes of play, if it's a close game or whatever.

I think what Peter, Jason was trying to say (maybe) is that when you get dialed in and you're totally playing for your teammates and coaches and blocking all else out...you play EVERY play like you want it more. You play every play like its your last, you dive head first so to speak, you sell out for every gall-darn inch of your being. Whether youre faster ,stronger, taller, whatever...you just lay it out there everyday. And whoever can do that (Suh, David, Wistrom, Peter, Macko) knowing full well his teammates are going to do the same, then yes...you are all playing as if you "want it more".

And it does make a difference when the clock strikes zero.

And if you lose? At least you Know you and every other player on your team gave it balls deep. I think we've seen since Callahan that not all players were playing that way (I thnk is getting better though) and that's more what he was talking about.

But wanting it more doesn't mean jack-sh#t if you don't execute and dial in. Follow the plan, play within the team and do your job...which is to play every dang play like you "want it more"

"you put that helmet with that N on the side of it, on your head; and you feel like there isn't anything that you can't do"

Veery good post. :thumbs

Been working a lot so this is the first time I've been able to check the thread since yesterday. My favorite part thus far...

"Dude don't talk down to me...and condescend to me." - devnet

*gets on Huskerboard, condescends on EVERYONE, and says this is the dumbest thread ever*

This is all I'm going to say and then I won't talk about devnet's derailing of this thread anymore. Don't throw stones in a glass house, dev. The thread was at the very worst in a subtopic of the overall topic, and then you got on your pretentious Huskerboard throne and condescended on everyone here as if you're some thread guru. All you ended up doing was the exact thing you said bothered you - you derailed the thread. And then, instead of adding anything of value, you simply said, and I'm paraphrasing, "back to the topic." Completely worthless.

The next time you think a thread is off topic, maybe you should start by saying "Back to the topic at hand, I think...", or PM a mod or admin.

Calling a thread dumb is condecension now? Calling out people who have derailed a thread is condescension too? Maybe you should start over and reevaluate your post? Perhaps the meaning of condescension?

BTW, I didn't derail JACK SQUAT. It was derailed LONG before I said anything at all.

crazy.gif

LOL

Calling a thread dumb is condecension now? Calling out people who have derailed a thread is condescension too? Maybe you should start over and reevaluate your post? Perhaps the meaning of condescension?

BTW, I didn't derail JACK SQUAT. It was derailed LONG before I said anything at all.

I LIKE to capitalize WORDS because THEY MAKE my POINT more RELEVANT, I think. SQUAT'S JACK.

Here's the definition of condescending you requested per your confusion - "to descend to the level of one considered inferior; lower oneself" or "to deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner."

I want you to pay close attention to the second part of that definition, accurately depicting your rant on page three of this thread, and how it applies to you. If you don't see that your post "patronizingly superior" (it was), I can't make you, nor can I make you see the hypocrisy in going into a thread that you think has been "derailed" and actually derailing it with a childish diatribe about how dumb you feel for not understanding how the current discussion applied to the topic. You might have noticed nobody put on their big boy pants and flopped into this thread like a dying fish, arrogantly proclaiming the the stupidity and irrelevance of the conversation, until you came along. This leads to two conclusions - first, you're the only person who cares, or second, everybody else enjoyed the topic, thought it applied to the conversation, or simply didn't say anything because they have the brain-to-fingers control you, I must humbly say, don't.

Now, if you would like to continue making a fool of yourself, I strongly recommend beginning a thread in the Woodshed calling me out (that's Enhance89, spelled E-n-h-a-n-c-e 8-9, definition = me), where I will be more than happy to continue proving you wrong and trolling you into oblivion. Otherwise, the mods are more than likely to throw down their hammer's of mighty justice here pretty soon (i'm sure knapplc's is already charging), and it would just be wildly unfortunate for this public display of arrogance end.

By the way, none of this post was condescending, I think, maybe. Oh, I don't know, clearly I don't know how to words.

• Fire 1