Manufactured Controversy?

I'm old enough to remember the 80s' and I can tell you first hand that even when TO was ripping off 9win seasons left and right, people including the national media was questioning whether DONU needed a change! Losing like 7(?) bowls in a row. Some we weren't even competitive! Alot of th people I was around back then, were pushing for a change! Give Pelini 5 years with teams of only his own recruits. Then we can approach this conversation. Until then, it's just ridiculous to expect too much more than he has given us.

We were a couple of plays from 2 BCS games! And then had to switch conferences! Look, Peters gets away with some of this crap because he was a warrior for TO! He won championships! And I'm not asking him to be a homer on his radio show. He has a job to do and objectivity should be a requirement. But it just seems like he's bitter about something! I don't know what, but he shouldn't let this bitterness infect the environment and culture Bos tring to build.

The really weird thing about that me is that I would have thought that JP would have some type of loyalty towards TO. And this is TO's guy that he's pummelling. Just... weird. I'd expect it from someone like Bishop. I like John, but John's always been a 'glass-half-empty', devil's advocate type person. Met him, nice guy in person, but he just kind of has that radio personna. But until JP got on the radio and started doing the curmudgeon shtick to a T (that was a great description above, btw), I really don't remember him being THIS abrasive toward the football program.

Ratings

• Fire 1

All the key points were hit by the OP and especially NUpolo (damn good post, man.)

This is nothing new. They said the same stuff about Osborne. Hell, he almost left because of it. And I distinctly remember when Charlie McBride had no clue what he was doing, until all of the sudden guys like Farley and the Browns and that whole laundry list of NFL Blackshirts we had during that era showed up and started crushing opposing offenses like Panzers running over anthills. Then he was a defensive genius.

Polo's first sentence is the crux of the issue. There are plenty of rational, reasonable Nebraska fans. But some of our most idiotic mates are, unfortunately, the loudest. (And doesn't that seem to be the case in all aspects of life? Like, the dumbest guy at work always talks about how things "oughta be done" while doing just a piss poor job on his own responsibilities.) I see this as an 8 or 9 win season, and I won't think something is fundamentally wrong with our staff if that pans out. When Husker_x put the word collapsed in italics, he was speaking the truth. Now we have to adjust everything to deal with our new conference, which flat out plays a different style of football than the Big 12 did. I accept that. I really do believe that Bo can win us a championship down the road, but it takes time and luck for that to fall into place. Demanding perfection within five years isn't just unreasonable, it's idiotic.

Jason Peter is a little better on radio than I thought he'd be, but guys like that are classic. "We didn't win because of decades of coaching experience and obscene talent and depth, we just wanted it more. Had more heart." Not really, bro. If you'd have played on the '83 team, you'd have zero banners on your wall, and you'd have played for an excellent team. A LOT has to fall into place just so to reach the peak. You should know. You were in Columbia in '97.

Good post.

it's just talk. maybe the question should be why some nebraska fans take such offense to it each year? the same conversation happens each year at Georgia. Each year at Florida State. It's going on in Texas right now. It's goes on at LSU for gods sake!. It's football, and specifically it's college football. No one cares about an NFL coach. His impact on the team is not nearly as great as it is in college ball. Coaching is everything here at Nebraska - more so than most schools even due to the nature of recruiting. I don't see any problem in asking whether or not a guy is the right fit for the job when that same guy has admitted he hasn't yet reached the goals set, and has himself said he needs to get over that hump. He hasn't done anything to solidify himself as the coach for the next 10 years at Nebraska. He also hasn't done anything to warrant Nebraska parting ways with the experiment. But at this point it is still very much a "potential" thing, and not based on anything more than average to slightly above average accomplishments.

• Fire 1

When we hired Bo in 2008, everyone said it would be a growing process, and he'd be learning on the job. We knew it was a risky hire, and that it would be a rocky road while he learned the ropes. And now, that everything Husker nation predicted has pretty much gone as foretold, we're baffled and angry. It's ridiculous.

it's just talk. maybe the question should be why some nebraska fans take such offense to it each year? the same conversation happens each year at Georgia. Each year at Florida State. It's going on in Texas right now. It's goes on at LSU for gods sake!. It's football, and specifically it's college football. No one cares about an NFL coach. His impact on the team is not nearly as great as it is in college ball. Coaching is everything here at Nebraska - more so than most schools even due to the nature of recruiting. I don't see any problem in asking whether or not a guy is the right fit for the job when that same guy has admitted he hasn't yet reached the goals set, and has himself said he needs to get over that hump. He hasn't done anything to solidify himself as the coach for the next 10 years at Nebraska. He also hasn't done anything to warrant Nebraska parting ways with the experiment. But at this point it is still very much a "potential" thing, and not based on anything more than average to slightly above average accomplishments.

How many of those fan bases are having the question asked by a former all-American alum? About his legendary coaches' decision on his hand picked HC!

count me in for...Why the hell are we asking?

My question would be; Who better would you get to come here to be our head coach after firing a coach for winning 9 games?

Everyone worth their salt knows its very hard to recruit here, hell Urban Meyer has mentioned struggling at Ohio State (because he had it so good at Florida). Fan expectations are unreasonably high. The "but we are Nebraska" crap has got to stop, and alot of people need to be more realistic. We will consistently win 9 10 11 games. Its going to take a special season where both the offense and defense are at the top of the game in talent and experience...see 09 defense combined with a good offense (yet to be seen) and that will get us a NC run. In the mean time being consistently good is how its going to be. We cant recruit well enough right now to just be able to reload, really only Alabama and LSU and USC can do that right now.

We havent been able to have both offense and defense in the same season quite yet. I think we are going to be really close this year, which will set us up for a run next year, but that will be dependent on how much Taylor improves this season. I can see us finally putting it all together this year playing good football on both sides of the ball, and winning the Big 10...... then get ready for all the hype for the 2013 season.

If we fire Bo or he left....I fear NEB would not find anyone better....We need to keep Bo at the helm.

i may be completely off base here, but i think what galls so many fans right now is the total inconsistency of line play, WR play and general team desire. we KNOW some guys threw in the towel last season, in some games, even dogging it in practice......they as much said so. leaving it all on the field, every game should not be an unattainable goal.........past Husker teams had it, we fans knew when they had it and it showed in their play.

many would agree, that is what is missing right now.......the question is, when can Pelini turn this around, if ever? 9 wins is great for any season, but losses to inferior teams and blowout losses to good teams, on a regular basis, says very little about who we are or claim to be......just my thoughts

i may be completely off base here, but i think what galls so many fans right now is the total inconsistency of line play, WR play and general team desire. we KNOW some guys threw in the towel last season, in some games,......they as much said so. leaving it all on the field, every game should not be an unattainable goal.........past Husker teams had it, we fans knew when they had it and it showed in their play.

many would agree, that is what is missing right now.......the question is, when can Pelini turn this around, if ever? 9 wins is great ior any season, but losses to inferior teams and blowout losses to good teams, on a regular basis, says very little about who we are or claim to be......just my thoughts

Agreed, and that's the most frustrating part. We could easily have 2 conference titles and a BCS win or two with the same players, if NU didn't play so damn sloppy.

i may be completely off base here, but i think what galls so many fans right now is the total inconsistency of line play, WR play and general team desire. we KNOW some guys threw in the towel last season, in some games,......they as much said so. leaving it all on the field, every game should not be an unattainable goal.........past Husker teams had it, we fans knew when they had it and it showed in their play.

many would agree, that is what is missing right now.......the question is, when can Pelini turn this around, if ever? 9 wins is great ior any season, but losses to inferior teams and blowout losses to good teams, on a regular basis, says very little about who we are or claim to be......just my thoughts

Agreed, and that's the most frustrating part. We could easily have 2 conference titles and a BCS win or two with the same players, if NU didn't play so damn sloppy.

spot on saunders.........how the hell do we fix that?

Leadership. Especially from the players.

accountability, especially from the players. I'm one of those (and I don't want to get into a debate over whether it's right or wrong just stating this) that thinks Pelini's emotion on the sideline's negatively impacts the team and we see some of these rollercoaster games as far as execution goes (south carolina). at other times that emotion has a positive impact. but as a coach he should never get into a position where it's negatively impacting the team. that's something he has control over.

to expand on that at little (hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge thread about Pelini's sideline demeanor so I apoligize) - but I see the V.Tech, the A&M, and the South Carolina games going in our direction with a calmer Pelini. The SC game might have still been a loss - but it would have been closer. The Texas game in 09' is one where his emotion positively carried the team to within a second of a win. The difference between these is where his emotion was directed.

accountability, especially from the players. I'm one of those (and I don't want to get into a debate over whether it's right or wrong just stating this) that thinks Pelini's emotion on the sideline's negatively impacts the team and we see some of these rollercoaster games as far as execution goes (south carolina). at other times that emotion has a positive impact. but as a coach he should never get into a position where it's negatively impacting the team. that's something he has control over.

to expand on that at little (hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge thread about Pelini's sideline demeanor so I apoligize) - but I see the V.Tech, the A&M, and the South Carolina games going in our direction with a calmer Pelini. The SC game might have still been a loss - but it would have been closer. The Texas game in 09' is one where his emotion positively carried the team to within a second of a win. The difference between these is where his emotion was directed.

No offense, but the Pelini outburstgate during the South Carolina game has been proven false. Like 6 months ago.

http://huskermike.blogspot.com/2012/01/stereotypes-not-reality-driving.html

http://www.cornnation.com/2012/1/6/2686733/volcanic-bo-pelini-reality-or-media-creation

I'll be watching that game again next week, so I can even give you more evidence if you want.

I'll give you VT #1, but A&M was a screwjob from the outset.

it's just a matter of opinion - no way to prove or disprove it. i have heard talk of the "tone" during halftime, the team came out kind of flat. pelini is in the process of blowing up - shortly after one of his players gets into an altercation. the A&M was certainly a screwjob, but i feel it got to the point it did for a reason.

Its the lack of consistency. MSU and Northwestern are perfect examples. Something is broken or missing with the program in the mental department. Dominate the division winner one week, get beat by an inferior team the next. And last year was a step back from the last two. No division title. And there is a lot of pessimism around the fanbase right now, at least from the people I talk too. I don't think the conversation is started by the radio guys, I have heard the exact same things from people for two years now.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bo, and I'm glad he's our coach, but there are a couple things to remember...

1) Bo looked like an oasis in a desert that was Bill Callahan.

2) If Bo were to get fired, who would we bring in? Would it be the "we need a Nebraska guy" or hire Turner Gill or Scott Frost campaign. That's a debate almost without end.

3) Heaven forbid "Bo's replacement" falls on his ass, then that'd ignite a whole other sh*t storm