Manufactured Controversy?

If we are not aiming at a return to the 'glory days' what should we be striving to be? Iowa?

Because the "glory days" were a conglomerate of important variables that are near impossible to duplicate in today's game. Nebraska can't, and in my opinion, never will, return to anything remotely resembling the 1990's. We're simply in a different position today than we were then, a position that doesn't lend itself to being a dominant. I could go into all of these variables but they've been rehashed here ad nauseum.

Instead of working towards a return to the glory days, we should be accomplishing more immediate and more feasible goals. And this shouldn't be classified as "lowering expectations", because if we're being honest with ourselves, expecting the 1990's is foolish. If you have those expectations then yes, this is lowering them.

Otherwise, we're putting unfair amounts of pressure on people who again, I believe, can't live up to what the 1990's were, and never will be able to.

Jason Peter almost always says stupid things

I totally disagree! What he (JP) consistantly says is; "We simply played harder." "We wanted it more." We trained harder in the off season." We had leaders on those teams that took it upon themselves to discipline and set the tone for playing with passion." All of which are true. If we had more players like JP, we would have 13 wins each year.

Jason Peter is guilty of exacerbating the same silliness handfuls of other former players do. "We played harder" and "we wanted it more" have been proven irrelevant time and again, which is the only analysis you get from a lot of former players. Not all, but a lot. Need I remind any one of Nebraska's silly redemption attempts against Texas in 2009, an attempt that wildly backfired on us? Our players spent nine months looking forward to one game, a game they obviously wanted to win, and they lost.

Or look at any championship game, in any sport, ever. Do you think the Thunder wanted to lose to the Heat? Do you think the Patriots wanted to lose to the Giants in the Superbowl, again? Do you think LSU wanted to walk out of the championship game as rematch losers? Of course not. The idea that someone or something wants it more than someone else is sensationalist garbage put forth by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Everything comes down to execution and doing it better than someone else, and that's it. Sure, there's motivation and desire attached to anything sports, but all that does is mentally prepare you for practices and the grind towards your ultimate goal. Wanting something more than someone else doesn't mean anything. Wanting it, and doing it, is what matters.

At the very most, I think one can argue that they go somewhat hand-in-hand. You won't perform if you're not motivated, and I get that, but execution, being coached correctly, and doing your job are far more important. I'd much rather have a well-coached team than a team that wants to win really, really bad.

• Fire 1

But the '95 team played harder and with more passion than any other team in history in the snow uphill both ways!!!

Just STFU Jason Peter and do us all a favor. Have a little f'ing class and support your current Huskers. Dude is a f'ing scumbag and a sh#t human being...for all his flaws the fact that he judges everyone constantly is f'ing hilarious. I'm not the least bit ashamed to say that I hate the guy as a person; I don't care how great of a player he was.

Do not like Bo as a head coach, he is not ready, and may never be. But I do not want him fired. I want him to learn his job, get better at it and prove he can be a good to great head coach. That takes time. But I do not feel he will get it if this year is not successful. There are several of the big boosters that are not happy with the job he is doing.

It is time for him to learn from his sideline meltdowns, my guess is that he has done the last of those. Another one will be the end I am afraid. I agree he affects the team, but I wonder if those same melt downs do not happen in practice and kids are playing afraid to take the chances, I also wonder if that is the reason we so few Freshman playing.

I think he is a good guy, and some things he has done far better than anone before him, including TO. I just am not sure he is a head coach, but I hope he gets the opportunit to prove he is. Nebraska can not afford for him to fail.

The logic that a situation where Bo Pelini has an 11 win season, yet would get the ax because of a sideline tantrum, could even possibly exist, I'm pretty sure I have no words for how flawed that is.

Seriously, that just makes my brain hurt.

agreed, like it was said earlier bo has won 37 games in his first 4 years as a head coach, not his first 4 years at nebraska with head coaching experience before, his first four years as a head coach period. i think that bo has a huge amount of potential as a head coach, and its gonna take time for him to reach all of that potential. maybe its just me but when you compare bo to most other first time head coaches in their early years bo is ahead of alot of them. especially when you compare the situation he inherited at nebraska. hell i dont think its a stretch to say his first 4 years as a head coach have been better than TO's first 4 years when you consider the circumstances. granted they play more games a season then they did then, but TO did inherit a program that was in its darkest years, he inherited a program that had one a national championship just a couple years before. so to say that bo needs to go is completely asinine imo. i believe bo is the right man for the job. and if he was to get fired, nebraska football will be in the dumps for along time because no decent coach will be willing to come to a school with the unrealistic expectations that nebraska fans already have.

But the '95 team played harder and with more passion than any other team in history in the snow uphill both ways!!!

Just STFU Jason Peter and do us all a favor. Have a little f'ing class and support your current Huskers. Dude is a f'ing scumbag and a sh#t human being...for all his flaws the fact that he judges everyone constantly is f'ing hilarious. I'm not the least bit ashamed to say that I hate the guy as a person; I don't care how great of a player he was.

I feel like maybe you're holding something back. Just let it go! This is a safe place! There is no need to hold anything back! :P

I totally disagree! What he (JP) consistantly says is; "We simply played harder." "We wanted it more." We trained harder in the off season." We had leaders on those teams that took it upon themselves to discipline and set the tone for playing with passion." All of which are true. If we had more players like JP, we would have 13 wins each year.

Jason Peter is guilty of exacerbating the same silliness handfuls of other former players do. "We played harder" and "we wanted it more" have been proven irrelevant time and again, which is the only analysis you get from a lot of former players. Not all, but a lot. Need I remind any one of Nebraska's silly redemption attempts against Texas in 2009, an attempt that wildly backfired on us? Our players spent nine months looking forward to one game, a game they obviously wanted to win, and they lost.

Or look at any championship game, in any sport, ever. Do you think the Thunder wanted to lose to the Heat? Do you think the Patriots wanted to lose to the Giants in the Superbowl, again? Do you think LSU wanted to walk out of the championship game as rematch losers? Of course not. The idea that someone or something wants it more than someone else is sensationalist garbage put forth by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Everything comes down to execution and doing it better than someone else, and that's it. Sure, there's motivation and desire attached to anything sports, but all that does is mentally prepare you for practices and the grind towards your ultimate goal. Wanting something more than someone else doesn't mean anything. Wanting it, and doing it, is what matters.

At the very most, I think one can argue that they go somewhat hand-in-hand. You won't perform if you're not motivated, and I get that, but execution, being coached correctly, and doing your job are far more important. I'd much rather have a well-coached team than a team that wants to win really, really bad.

I have participated in, coached and officiated sports from grade school through college. (I am now 68 years old.) Playing harder and wanting it more are the deciding factors when all else is equal. There is no substitute for maximum effort. if you do not play harder and want it more, you will not be executing anything. What it comes down to is you and your opponent. Play harder, do your job and play with passion---------- you will almost always win. Anyone who believes any differently, is a fool's fool.

Do not like Bo as a head coach, he is not ready, and may never be. But I do not want him fired. I want him to learn his job, get better at it and prove he can be a good to great head coach. That takes time. But I do not feel he will get it if this year is not successful. There are several of the big boosters that are not happy with the job he is doing.

It is time for him to learn from his sideline meltdowns, my guess is that he has done the last of those. Another one will be the end I am afraid. I agree he affects the team, but I wonder if those same melt downs do not happen in practice and kids are playing afraid to take the chances, I also wonder if that is the reason we so few Freshman playing.

I think he is a good guy, and some things he has done far better than anone before him, including TO. I just am not sure he is a head coach, but I hope he gets the opportunit to prove he is. Nebraska can not afford for him to fail.

The logic that a situation where Bo Pelini has an 11 win season, yet would get the ax because of a sideline tantrum, could even possibly exist, I'm pretty sure I have no words for how flawed that is.

Seriously, that just makes my brain hurt.

CFB%204%20Years%20Coaches%20Records.png

Look at the great coaches who would have been fired...

I have participated in, coached and officiated sports from grade school through college. (I am now 68 years old.) Playing harder and wanting it more are the deciding factors when all else is equal. There is no substitute for maximum effort. if you do not play harder and want it more, you will not be executing anything. What it comes down to is you and your opponent. Play harder, do your job and play with passion---------- you will almost always win. Anyone who believes any differently, is a fool's fool.

"Wanting it more" is an excuse that's thrown out when someone has no real argument.

"Wanting it more" is an excuse that's thrown out when someone has no real argument.

Total and complete BS. If you don't "want it more" than your opponent, don't play on my team.

Just joined the "Board" today, since the Journal-Star has messed up the lifeinthered blog. Hi to everyone here, I've checked this board in the past and it seems to have honest opions of true Husker fans.

I'll start this out with something that won't make everyone happy, but I think where Peter is coming from is the fact that Coach Bo still has serious issues dealing with the general public and sportswriters/media in particular.

Watch yesterday's post-practice interview and this is so obvious, it's like he thinks he's on trial for something.

I do have some knowledge of his behavior in public and private that has not always been wonderful, but I also know one of his past players who just loves Bo. So what to make from all this?

Losing control of your emotions on the sideline is an indication of passion for the game, but being a jerk in public indicates someone needs some serious counseling. Maybe Dr. Tom has had Bo get some help with this, but in watching that interview yesterday - I doubt it.

Just joined the "Board" today, since the Journal-Star has messed up the lifeinthered blog. Hi to everyone here, I've checked this board in the past and it seems to have honest opions of true Husker fans.

I'll start this out with something that won't make everyone happy, but I think where Peter is coming from is the fact that Coach Bo still has serious issues dealing with the general public and sportswriters/media in particular.

Watch yesterday's post-practice interview and this is so obvious, it's like he thinks he's on trial for something.

I do have some knowledge of his behavior in public and private that has not always been wonderful, but I also know one of his past players who just loves Bo. So what to make from all this?

Losing control of your emotions on the sideline is an indication of passion for the game, but being a jerk in public indicates someone needs some serious counseling. Maybe Dr. Tom has had Bo get some help with this, but in watching that interview yesterday - I doubt it.

I see where you're coming from. I watched the video too, but after 4 years that's just who Bo is. He's not going to be chipper old jolly santa clause when he's doing interviews. Personally I'm okay with that. For other people, media and what not, not so much.

• Fire 1