What Will the Offensive Balance Be!? Predictions..........

What type of balance will we see from the offense!?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who was it that said...there are 3 things that can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad? Was that Devaney?

The game sure has changed, but then it goes in cycles.

yeah, but there wasn't actually any meaningful substance behind that statement anyway. You might also say there are three things that happen when you run the ball: gain yardage, lose yardage, or fumble.

Who was it that said...there are 3 things that can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad? Was that Devaney?

The game sure has changed, but then it goes in cycles.

I believe that was Darrel Royal.......circa about the mid-sixties........

I'd say we'll average around 60/40, give or take 10% depending on the D and how they're playing us . Balance is more about passing effectively more than being 50/50. Our passing game could make a big step forward this season. Much is made of whether TM's mechanics work will show, and I'm excited to see too, but there are are other factors. Will our young wr-corps grow in Beck's complex O and and start catching the rock consistently? Will TM truly have his freshman explosiveness back? When TM was at full-speed D's really feared our rushing attack and it opened-up the pass.

We were 67% rush-heavy last year (611/293) And I think alot of that was running down the clock at the end of games. I'm changing my answer to 60/40. To put this in comparison, the late 2000's Texas Tech teams were near 76% pass-heavy.

This ^^. Thats why I dont think the 50/50 talk is wishful thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if Beck called over 50% pass plays prior to the fourth quarter in most games. Of course there will be the pass plays that Martinez will turn into runs, and I believe sacks are considered running plays too.

It would be nice to see more running than passing, but I have a feeling that we will have to pass to keep up. BUT this is a new year...optimism runs wild. I would love it if we actually had two running backs that could carry the load this year, and cut the passing down a little. I hate passing because we have to. I am saying my prayers that the O-line has improved, otherwise this could be another season that will depend on how healthy we can keep Martinez.. On the bright side, I think he has probably gotten smarter about when to run, and when to take the loss.

It would be awesome if they can come out and surprise everyone by actually controlling the game. The question this year is will the defense or the offense be the dominant force? I tend to believe that it may be another year for the offense, though it is easier to put together a defense if you have people with natural talent. There is reason for optimism, maybe we will get both. That is what it will take to win the Big X.

I really hope this team can establish a passing game. It's the only thing holding this offense back. Once we can prove to opposing defenses that we can burn them if they try to load the box on us, they will be forced to back off. Burkhead can get 1200 yards on the ground fighting a stacked box. Imagine if the actually has holes to run through when the defenses fear the pass.

I really hope this team can establish a passing game. It's the only thing holding this offense back. Once we can prove to opposing defenses that we can burn them if they try to load the box on us, they will be forced to back off. Burkhead can get 1200 yards on the ground fighting a stacked box. Imagine if the actually has holes to run through when the defenses fear the pass.

Improved line play to give Taylor that 1 extra second would help improve the passing game! Too many times TM had less than 3 seconds and had to scramble!

Yes, I think after the last couple weeks we've had off the field, combined with the performance of the O-line on the field the last few years, it's very very clear the offensive line has a lot of problems. Can't really lay the blame on the players though. Depth has not been established for some reason, even 5 years into the Pelini era we are rotating too many players and not developing enough guys. Losing Ben Cotton probably hurt the offensive line a bit. Cotton was a great blocker and reliable up front for us. We need a great Center. Caputo just never really impressed me a whole lot. Somebody up there has got to take the lead on this offensive line and start holding guys accountable. With 3 guys helping coach this line, I just can't figure our how the hell we look so awful, and have so few guys to put in there.