Biking downtown - streets vs sidewalks

BRI tried telling all of us he was a motorcycle cop.

Don't taz me bro! :P

Speaking of stupid cops, I got pulled over on my bike, on the sidewalk, near Wendy's downtown Lincoln. Apparently it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalks. Yes, that is your tax dollars at work. I swear the crime rate has to be at an all-time low.

Speaking of stupid cops, I got pulled over on my bike, on the sidewalk, near Wendy's downtown Lincoln. Apparently it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalks. Yes, that is your tax dollars at work. I swear the crime rate has to be at an all-time low.

Did you get a ticket, or just a warning. It would be utter BS if you got a ticket. A warning is still annoying, though.

It's been illegal to ride your bike on downtown sidewalks for a long time now, like over a decade, but they used to have signs up downtown saying where the no-ride sections were. I don't recall seeing those for a while.

Thankfully, crime is very low in Lincoln. The other edge to that sword is, we have cops looking for things to do, and you get stuff like this.

Like Zoogies said, you should be riding your bike in the street if you are an adult. Do you know how dangerous a bike can be to pedestrians on a sidewalk?

I got a ticket for riding triple on my bike when I was 10, and had to wright a 400 or 500 word essay, on why its not legal to ride that way. Had to go down to the court house on a Sat morning and stay for about 4 hours watching film, on the dos and don'ts of bike riding. It was tough being a kid in Lincoln, back then. :lol:

Good luck to Williams, at KU. He has had his chances at NU.

GBR!!!

Like Zoogies said, you should be riding your bike in the street if you are an adult. Do you know how dangerous a bike can be to pedestrians on a sidewalk?

Right because riding a bike in the road, surrounded by much larger and much faster vehicles (typically driven by idiots I might add) is much safer for everyone. Thanks for the laugh.

Right because riding a bike in the road, surrounded by much larger and much faster vehicles (typically driven by idiots I might add) is much safer for everyone. Thanks for the laugh.

Which part of "it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk" is funny to you?

You may not like the law, it may be a stupid law, but it is the law.

It is, riding on the street is safer for pedestrians and for bicyclists. There is a lot of research on the issue as well.

The police have been cracking down on that a lot over the summer. They've also been ticketing cyclists for rolling through stop signs. I realize that's the law, but if you've ever ridden a bike before, you know how hard it is to stop at every single sign and start up again. It's also much more obnoxious to the cars behind you to wait for you to build up speed. There's also the fact that on a bike your awareness is much better than in a car because you can hear cars from several blocks away and your vision is unimpeded. So I continue to roll through stop signs when there are no cars near me. If there is a car anywhere near then I completely stop. Cars do this all the time so I find it ludicrous that they would focus so much energy on cyclists doing it.

As far as sidewalk riding goes, it's much too slow for me so I prefer roads. There are some crazy/stupid drivers out there though. In fact yesterday... I got behind this guy who came to a complete stop at two intersections in a row where he had no stop sign and there were no cars. I thought maybe he was just super careful but on the next intersection he had a stop sign and he drove right through it without slowing.

On the flip side, there are plenty of idiot cyclists as well. Pretty much every day I ride I see idiots riding their bikes on the left side of the road and I want to punch these people for giving cyclists a bad name

• Fire 2

All of it, but that's not what I was referring to. To suggest that riding on the sidewalk is dangerous when the alternative is riding in the road with CARS is a pretty funny statement. I don't care what the research says. Common sense tells me that riding in the road is more dangerous. And yes obviously the law is stupid.

I don't care what the research says. Common sense tells me that riding in the road is more dangerous. And yes obviously the law is stupid.

Cars are much less likely to see you while you are riding through a crosswalk or across an alleyway entrance. This is where the research you don't care about comes from. Every block has alleys that you have to go past and when you are going faster than a pedestrian it becomes dangerous for you. Cars coming out of an alley are looking for slow-moving pedestrians. Again, the reaearch you don't care about backs this up. You are much more likely to get hit by a car doing this than by being visible in a street lane.

• Fire 2