No More Balloons

knapplc

I recall at a game 3-4 years ago, I got so sick of holding onto my stupid balloon as a persistent reminder that we hadn't scored yet and spent a solid 20 minutes consumed with thoughts of how to accidentally let it go (so I wouldn't look like a jackass). Thankfully someone else nearby let theirs go in disgust and mine followed. Last time I bought a balloon...won't miss them!

• Fire 1

Let me explain a few things since some of you think I may have over-reacted.

1- When I first saw this topic, I was also contemplating taking my kids to their first Husker home game this season. It was a little upsetting to learn that they may not have the chance to experience one of the great Husker traditions of the balloon release.

2- My business uses helium gas. Not huge amounts and not everyday but I am somewhat familiar with it and we do use more in a year than what it would take to fill 35,000+/- balloons. I have seen no huge price increases and have not heard boo about supplies possibly being short prior to reading the linked article.

3- I can still go to the party store and buy helium filled balloons to my hearts content.

4- I would have no problem if the price of helium increased and it became prohibitively expensive to continue but, being the mean old environment hating conservative that I am, I took a little issue with what I see as simply more environmental PC BS. The amount it takes to fill our red ballons is not even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme. How much helium do you think it takes to purge a rocket fuel tank? They waste more connecting the hose than we use in multiple seasons. If anyone thinks that NU is saving the environment by eliminating these ballons, they are fooling themselves.

5- I was a little distraught that so many apparently thought so little of one of our traditions so I felt it deserved a little sticking up for.

1- When I first saw this topic, I was also contemplating taking my kids to their first Husker home game this season. It was a little upsetting to learn that they may not have the chance to experience one of the great Husker traditions of the balloon release.

2- My business uses helium gas. Not huge amounts and not everyday but I am somewhat familiar with it and we do use more in a year than what it would take to fill 35,000+/- balloons. I have seen no huge price increases and have not heard boo about supplies possibly being short prior to reading the linked article.

3- I can still go to the party store and buy helium filled balloons to my hearts content.

4- I would have no problem if the price of helium increased and it became prohibitively expensive to continue but, being the mean old environment hating conservative that I am, I took a little issue with what I see as simply more environmental PC BS. The amount it takes to fill our red ballons is not even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme. How much helium do you think it takes to purge a rocket fuel tank? They waste more connecting the hose than we use in multiple seasons. If anyone thinks that NU is saving the environment by eliminating these ballons, they are fooling themselves.

5- I was a little distraught that so many apparently thought so little of one of our traditions so I felt it deserved a little sticking up for.

I don't think people think little of the balloon tradition, I know I don't, I love it. However, we realize there are more important things than that and I think that explains the lack of upset feelings towards the situation.

I recall at a game 3-4 years ago, I got so sick of holding onto my stupid balloon as a persistent reminder that we hadn't scored yet and spent a solid 20 minutes consumed with thoughts of how to accidentally let it go (so I wouldn't look like a jackass). Thankfully someone else nearby let theirs go in disgust and mine followed. Last time I bought a balloon...won't miss them!

Now that you mention it, I am a little surprised that the Clownahan era didn't eliminate this tradition for the very reason you just posted. I still have visions of the TO era when your balloon was gone lickity split, usually before it was time to get into your Jack or Yukon to spike up your drink. I remember getting more than anxious if the first score took more than 1 or 2 possesions.

have not heard boo about supplies possibly being short prior to reading the linked article.

This does not change reality, though. I had not heard boo about it either. However, if this policy change on Nebraska's part raises even a small measure of awareness about the situation, then it was worth it.

The U.S. Government has handled this in a pretty disastrous way, IMO.

Now that you mention it, I am a little surprised that the Clownahan era didn't eliminate this tradition for the very reason you just posted. I still have visions of the TO era when your balloon was gone lickity split, usually before it was time to get into your Jack or Yukon to spike up your drink. I remember getting more than anxious if the first score took more than 1 or 2 possesions.

We were actually quite good at scoring first or scoring quickly during the Callahan era.

Fortunately, there's a backup plan: If we run out of mined helium we can always recover it from the atmosphere. That will run us only 10,000 times the current costs.

Read more: 6 Important Things You Didn't Know We're Running Out Of | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19048_6-important-things-you-didnt-know-were-running-out-of.html#ixzz23ZtIuTxo