SIGNED (2013) PG Tai Webster

Star recruit says he will adapt to faster pace.

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/130809968

...didn't adapt

He is freshman that was asked to do a lot. He will get better.

I don't think he was asked to do too much out of the ordinary. You've defended his play throughout. He's no longer a freshman. When the game gets tight he's usually not in. That's not being asked to do a lot. Petteway or Shields is asked to be playmaker at the end of games or shot clocks. Don't think he's being asked to a lot there. He's asked to hit open shots and take care of the ball. His shooting has been horrendous and often times he looks like he just started playing with this team. His best attribute seems to be his dribble drive but too often he can't finish at the rim. You can't be successful on offense if the other team can sag off of one guy and help clog the lane. Now it seems his confidence is shaken as he's almost stopped looking for his shot altogether. I'm i being hard on him? Probably. But college basketball doesn't wait for anyone. Freshman are asked to do it all the minute they put a foot on campus. Tai hasn't been asked to do too much. If I am missing something then why are the coaches looking to find immediate PG help. Benny has been a God send because if nothing else he gives hustle on defense. Tai gets caught looking around at the ball too often on D and loses his contain.
  • Fire 1

There were a lot of people on this board that thought Parker should transfer after last year. He made a huge jump from Freshman to Sophomore year. Needless to say, we wouldn't be in the Tournament without Parker. Let's not be so quick to judge and give Webster the opportunity to do the same. With the addition of PG Tarin Smith next year, he'll be able to slide the two-guard more often and that should help.

• Fire 1

The difference right now between Benny and Tai is that Benny takes shots he's comfortable taking and he shooting them with confidence. Tai on the other hand, when he was shooting the ball, looks anxious when shooting. Anxiety in your shot reveals itself in your arms and shoulders. I hate to nitpick but he looks like he's in a hurry to shoot so he can hurry and trail the miss. Watch him. Confident shooters hold their release and often times you'll see them react late to an off shot cause they think everything's going in.

Watch Ray shoot. He can raise his FG and 3pt % by simply doing one thing. Shoot shots with your momentum going towards his target. When he takes a shot watch which way his body is going from his point of release. He's deadly when is shooting in a phone booth so to speak(my old coaches saying). When he's drifting, his shot is downright ugly. Airball ugly. When he's in the phone booth, he's the guy that can take this team over the top.

Instead of picking out all the things the kid does wrong out on the court, how about we acknowledge that he's just a freshman who has played one year of basketball at this pace. I personally think he has a lot of upside and can't wait to see what he can bring to the table after having a whole offseason working on his game. One of the reasons I don't come here to post very often is because of the constant negativity that people always bring to threads.

Look I'm not giving up on Tai. But my disappointment in him isn't that he isn't a more finished product, it's that I haven't seen the potential yet. He doesn't flash enough for me right now. Moving him to the 2 as some have suggested isn't the answer to me. He hasn't shown me enough of an aggressive nature to play the 2. He definitely isn't gonna be an outside shooting 2. His shot isn't there. So the question is can he be a slashing 2 guard. We don't need him to be that. If Hammond comes in and starts right away, that puts Walt as a stretch 4 Shavon as a hybrid 2/3 and Terran as a hybrid point/ forward/slashing 2. So why would we move him to the 2? We need him to learn how to play the point. Also I will say this. Our offense doesn't lead to huge statistical assists nights for our point guards. They often get past half court then pass the ball and go spot up on the baseline. They need to run some sets for the one thing Tai can do and that's get to the rim off his right hand dribble. If he can't finish at the rim at least there is a chance to get fouled.

Instead of picking out all the things the kid does wrong out on the court, how about we acknowledge that he's just a freshman who has played one year of basketball at this pace. I personally think he has a lot of upside and can't wait to see what he can bring to the table after having a whole offseason working on his game. One of the reasons I don't come here to post very often is because of the constant negativity that people always bring to threads.
Stop saying he's still a freshman. The pace he plays now is a lot slower than his national team played. He was suppose to struggle with the physicality of the American game. I do hope the alarm goes off for him because our future is tied to him coming along. I think we take another point guard for 2015. I don't think our staff is sold on him. I also don't see room to move him to SG as I have posted.

When he stepped on campus...which was about the time classes started if I remember right, he was a 17 year old freshman who was now half a world away from home. Granted it's not like being away from home 50 years ago with the internet and skype. He had the fall to adjust to new teammates, coaches and thr travel of D1 basketball. Let him have the summer to improve, play in some summer leagues and get his bearings. If he doesn't improve then Miles has a decision to make. I personally think he will be much improved next winter.

When he stepped on campus...which was about the time classes started if I remember right, he was a 17 year old freshman who was now half a world away from home. Granted it's not like being away from home 50 years ago with the internet and skype. He had the fall to adjust to new teammates, coaches and thr travel of D1 basketball. Let him have the summer to improve, play in some summer leagues and get his bearings. If he doesn't improve then Miles has a decision to make. I personally think he will be much improved next winter.
Yeah, I hope your right. And I am pulling for him cause his success makes us that much better. I'm hoping it's just a confidence thing. The best way to force his hand is to give him some serious competition. Bringing Smith in could light the fire.

What everyone forgets is that he was considered a combo guard not a point guard when he came to Nebraska. Miles likes tall point guards, like Smith who is 6' 2". As far as his shooting, he has lost confidence and he shoots when the clock is running down. Thus, hurrying his shot. It's not about competition. Watch the kid on the bench, tell me if he is cheering or pouting. Pettewey avg. 2 points a game as a freshman. Please be realistic. We are lacking debt in the ball handling and post positions. It's not on one kind. And Jarvis you are right as I have been defending this kid, because you have been bashing him all year!

What everyone forgets is that he was considered a combo guard not a point guard when he came to Nebraska. Miles likes tall point guards, like Smith who is 6' 2". As far as his shooting, he has lost confidence and he shoots when the clock is running down. Thus, hurrying his shot. It's not about competition. Watch the kid on the bench, tell me if he is cheering or pouting. Pettewey avg. 2 points a game as a freshman. Please be realistic. We are lacking debt in the ball handling and post positions. It's not on one kind. And Jarvis you are right as I have been defending this kid, because you have been bashing him all year!
Not all year. And I'd call it criticism not bashing. I've expressed my disappointment about his progress for about 2 months now. Ironically when he started losing playing time and we started winning games. So you do the math. I think my criticism has been fair and warranted.

My criticism isn't reserved for Tai exclusively. I'm on record killing Ray when he was shooting about 20% awhile back. I'm on record calling Terran a lazy defender and a sometimes selfish player who gets the worst fouls of any player I've ever seen. I'm on record early in the season saying Shavon isn't half the player he was last year. It's just my observations as I thought that is what this board was for. And I've said several times that our offensive game plans sometimes lacks imagination and fails to get everyone involved.

The difference right now between Benny and Tai is that Benny takes shots he's comfortable taking and he shooting them with confidence. Tai on the other hand, when he was shooting the ball, looks anxious when shooting. Anxiety in your shot reveals itself in your arms and shoulders. I hate to nitpick but he looks like he's in a hurry to shoot so he can hurry and trail the miss. Watch him. Confident shooters hold their release and often times you'll see them react late to an off shot cause they think everything's going in.

Watch Ray shoot. He can raise his FG and 3pt % by simply doing one thing. Shoot shots with your momentum going towards his target. When he takes a shot watch which way his body is going from his point of release. He's deadly when is shooting in a phone booth so to speak(my old coaches saying). When he's drifting, his shot is downright ugly. Airball ugly. When he's in the phone booth, he's the guy that can take this team over the top.

All things that can improve with time. Yes, he is a Freshman and yes, he is at the end of his freshman year after playing a lot. Some kids adapt faster than others. Miles can work with him before next season and get his mind back to where it needs to be. One thing that is hard to get back during the season is confidence. A good off season can do that.

My criticism isn't reserved for Tai exclusively. I'm on record killing Ray when he was shooting about 20% awhile back. I'm on record calling Terran a lazy defender and a sometimes selfish player who gets the worst fouls of any player I've ever seen. I'm on record early in the season saying Shavon isn't half the player he was last year. It's just my observations as I thought that is what this board was for. And I've said several times that our offensive game plans sometimes lacks imagination and fails to get everyone involved.

They are all kids, playing with several new players. Several have been playing through injuries and we all have bad days. There was not much here for Miles and we are in the dance. We start a Jr, 3 So. & Fresh. I am just saying we are very young, with potential. We just depth and time to jell. I am disappoint in Ray, but I have confidence he will step up. Tai is young and we have no one else and Miles likes the Benny spark of the bench. I am just saying lets be positive, not negative.

• Fire 1

They are all kids, playing with several new players. Several have been playing through injuries and we all have bad days. There was not much here for Miles and we are in the dance. We start a Jr, 3 So. & Fresh. I am just saying we are very young, with potential. We just depth and time to jell. I am disappoint in Ray, but I have confidence he will step up. Tai is young and we have no one else and Miles likes the Benny spark of the bench. I am just saying lets be positive, not negative.

I hope you're right. I guess my biggest issue is that I didn't see any improvement over the season. I saw regression. If anyone can get him right it would be Miles and this staff as I have a lot of confidence in them. Who knows, he could have a great game against Baylor and that could set him off.