ESPNU is not impressed

They aren't in the wrong IMO. We have earned nothing. On paper, we're worse than last year in many ways. :dunno

ESPN will be ESPN. It's on us... I wouldn't want it any other way.

Care to elaborate? I dont see it.

I personally don't see it either, but it would be hard for most to shrug off losing crick, dennard, and david

They aren't in the wrong IMO. We have earned nothing. On paper, we're worse than last year in many ways. :dunno

If you want look at it subjectively...

We lose our key player in the secondary, we lose our key player at linebacker, we lose our key player on the defensive front. Losing key guys in every layer of a defense that was less than stellar last year. It's essentially the same offense as last year... a sputtering one.

Okay, scrap "many ways" and replace it with "a few ways." :dunno

Personally, i've built on plenty of positives from fall camp and the offseason. But we shouldnt expect anybody to be giving us a red carpet entrance to the BIG championship at this point after what we showed last year.

We lose our key player in the secondary, we lose our key player at linebacker, we lose our key player on the defensive front. Losing key guys in every layer of a defense that was less than stellar last year. It's essentially the same offense as last year... a sputtering one.

Personally, i've built on plenty of positives from fall camp and the offseason. But we shouldnt expect anybody to be giving us a red carpet entrance to the BIG championship at this point after what we showed last year.

I understand. And that gives a national outlet like ESPN plenty cover only reason. However as a fan, I hope you dont buy into that. A team that returns all starters on offense for finally a 2nd year in the same system and one that returns plenty of starters of defense as well as numerous guys who had a hand last year. I know most will look at Devid, Dennard and Crick being gone but lets look facts, not just thought of how good they were. David. No replacing him. He was great. Crick. Was never the same. He never did one thing last year when he was playing that made me say wow. Dont know if that was a result of the players around him or if he was more into being in the NFL. Not to mention he missed half the year Dennard. Same thing. Missed half the year and when he was back he was really never himself, except for maybe a few easily defended jump balls into double coverage against Michigan St. bottom, Crick and Dennard are not the losses from last year to this year that some think. by the 2nd, 3rd game, they will be forgotten.

Star DT missed over half the season, start CB missed 1/3 of the season, and the star LB is the big loss. Had to adjust from a hybrid 4-2-5 defense built to stop spread passing teams (which we recruited for), to a traditional 4-3. We were recruiting a different style of DL, and put an emphasis on DB's over LB's. We lost part of the O-line, but return everyone else on offense.

Michigan State lost the best QB in program history, top four receivers, part of the O-line, and a couple good defensive guys. The also finished second to last in rushing, and yet that's somehow a strength this year.

Wisconsin lost the best QB in program history, part of the O-line, the top receiver, some good defensive guys, and over half the coaching staff, including the OL coach responsible for building those dominant lines, and the OC.

And yet those same "experts" are predicting both these teams to go 11-1.

LOLZ

• Fire 2

We have enough good defensive players, to keep this team in any game, as long as the offense can keep the mistakes down. I will never worry to much about the defensive side of the team, as long as Bo has a hand in it. Sure there will be break downs from time to time, but as long as Martinez and company don't have the defense trying to stop short drives, or make them spend to much time on the field, we should be in every game. We played Mich and Wis tough, till the mistakes. Seemed to kind of take the wind out of the defense after that The. S.C game was ours till the long pass just before halftime, and the fumble inside their 5 yard line or there abouts, killed what I thought would be the end of S Carolina chances, the way we had been playing. I know all teams have the same problems, but it just seemed to me that this was the worst team since Bo has been here, to have as many turnovers and offensive penalty's that I can remember, at crucial times.

We will be a better prepared team this year, or at least we should be. jmo

GBR!!!

Well, we finished third in the division last year, got soundly beat in two big conference road games, dropped a winnable conference game at home, and really have no big changes in the roster or coaching staff. Breaking News: We are an afterthought as far as preseason hype goes.

Well, we finished third in the division last year, got soundly beat in two big conference road games, dropped a winnable conference game at home, and really have no big changes in the roster or coaching staff. Breaking News: We are an afterthought as far as preseason hype goes.

Correct. The Huskers land on essentially no ones radar nationally. College football fans in general across the nation when they think of major programs of late will think of the top 5-6 programs then go to a second tier of maybe 10-12 programs and the Huskers would likely not be given even a passing thought for inclusion in either list.

Only Husker fans think of NU as a major program anymore.

This can be fixed with some real solid football wins and NU can emerge again as a player. But until then, the Huskers are just another upper-mid-level program of little consequence. You need to win... and NU has not done that in a decade.

The panelists at ESPNU view of the Huskers in the B1G is not at all unreasonable. They have a real good chance of being correct. That said, you never know... like Cub fans always say "maybe this will be the year" and we'll surprise people

It was a definite slight the way they briefly touched on Neb. Said we were the probably the fifth-best team in the con and since we play all of the top four we won't get to five conference wins. Then they moved-on. Didn't even bother to have both commentators mention us. We are the winningest program of the last fifty years and we get treated as an afterthought? Bell is hands-down the second best back in the con? Bite me.

It was a definite slight the way they briefly touched on Neb. Said we were the probably the fifth-best team in the con and since we play all of the top four we won't get to five conference wins. Then they moved-on. Didn't even bother to have both commentators mention us. We are the winningest program of the last fifty years and we get treated as an afterthought? Bell is hands-down the second best back in the con? Bite me.

Winningest program of the last 50 years... yes.

But this is a "what have you done for me lately world" we live in. In the past decade the Huskers have been solid and no more. Not worthy of championship consideration. NU is currently an afterthought except to us --- the die-hard Husker fans who, like me and likely like you, have loved this program for 25+ years or more. We are the Husker faithful and to us NU is football is a huge thing. To the general fans nationally, NU is an afterthought, of no consequence... a historic program (if they even know that) that is currently a mid-level or upper-mid-level conference program not really competitive for a conference championship and not worthy of mentioning overly.

Until NU wins something on the field... the national view of irrelevance will not change.

We will see what happens. Tmart hopefully got his passing $h!t together or else we will be the same inconsistent offense ( sad face) against the best competition we face. Our previous defense schemes was more suited for Big 12 short passing attacks and containment, but in this conference we need to rush the passer and have linebacker studs that kill you against the running game. Peso and Dime coverages are not required here.

Coaching - I am optomistic that we do have a good core of players, some playmakers on both sides, and fellas that have been around for a few years. It's time for coaches to adjust during games, and not just be too head strong on their systems. They need to take accountability more this year. They need to find our strengths, support it and give this team an identity. No more week to week trying to figure it out. I'm excited mostly because, I'm not sure what to expect....and crazy enough, seem's like that's a good thing IMO GBR!

The change in conferences had a much bigger affect on the defense than what many people want to admit. Bo had gone 100% towards stopping the defenses of the Big XII and was very good at it. Then all of a sudden he was told he is now playing completely different teams. This year I expect that to improve and even be more improvement a year or two down the road.

As for the offense, I expect big improvements here. The best talent on this team was very very young last year. This year they are a year older and a year longer in the system.

I think many people are going to be pleasantly surprised. No, we probably aren't going to win them all. But, the very few we might lose won't be blow outs like Wisky and Michigan last year.

With all of the hype we had last year, we really pooped the bed. ESPN is pretty much telling us to show some results before they are going to get "fooled" again. Plus it is so enjoyable when ESPN and others are wrong and we exceed expectations. One of my favorite times wathing ESPN was right after we beat Miami for the 94 NC. It was great hearing Corso, James and others eat their words on national television. I'd rather that they didn't hype us and we remained the under dog all the time.

This will be the first "under-the-radar" year we've had in a LONG LOOOOONG time. Between new coaches and new conferences, I can't think of any year since Jammal Lord that we were under the radar and no one was talking about us. It will be very interesting to find out how this team performs with no media attention or expectations.

Agree that we haven't done much on the field lately to generate buzz.

But, if the Heads at ESPN would get off their collective Connecticut arses and actually get on campus and take a look they might find some things worth a mention.

AS IN, the BIG commentators found a LOT of exciting potential when they filmed their segment in Lincoln a week or so ago.

I was at practice earlier and am confident we are a much different/better team than most are predicting.

In case you missed it. Espn stands for Eastern Sports Preferred Network. I use espn for live sports and nothing else. They offer you nothing of substance. Horrible just horrible

I completely agree with you. Current sporting news is it for them. They can even botch that sometimes as coverage is beat to death for no reason at all, e.g., Tebow. That's why I tend to watch ESPNEWS when I just want to catch some highlights or anything big because usually I don't have time for them to waste time on what they think is important.